Excessive adverts on the forums !!!

In all honesty it's one of the things I point out to new customers .

Some customers come to my sign shop wanting their van absolutely plastered with text and it gets to the point people just wont read it .

Less is "more" :)

I have to get my customers to do the same with print. Some try to cram so much in to a small space that nothing stands out and it's just a page full of words that nobody will read.

Especially when they all flash and dance around trying to get your attention.

I think there's an interesting point here.

I'm sure advertising companies do research to determine what is "saturation" level.

It would be interesting to see a bell curve based on that data.

In many cases, I'm certain that less is more.

I agree....and the funny thing is, I always ignore the advert to the right of the opening post in a thread, and I bet they pay a premium for that listing as well.

I have to get my customers to do the same with print. Some try to cram so much in to a small space that nothing stands out and it's just a page full of words that nobody will read.

I guess that's also why those full page adverts with only a few words on are so attention-grabbing, whereas the brightly coloured mess on another page with too much going on might be easily flicked past.

I have to admit I don't visit AVF as much as I would, due mostly to the excessive number, and nature (colourful, in many cases moving/flashing, intrusively placed in the middle of content/posts, etc.) of the advertising.

I also have found I tend to pay more attention to what's being advertised on sites which aren't overly saturated with ad space.

Last edited:
I wonder if advertising as we know it will become out of date eventually: With PVRs we can skip ad breaks (many Channel 4 and 5 programs I watch only from recordings for this very reason). Ad blockers on computers can stop them coming up too, but I think this is frowned upon on here and elsewhere (I've no choice due to a work configured laptop, but like the OP I tune out from them). They just start to become 'background noise' to me.

I think we'll start to see more subtle forms especially on sites like this. Positive posts on 'owners' threads for example, recommendations on 'what item X shall I buy?' type threads. We need to be more aware of this sort of approach too as it blurs the lines between a friendly recommendation and comercial gain.

Also, what I don't like it when I check my emails and find adverts for things I've been looking at appear (some furniture today so it pops up on my email and when I'm on Pistonheads' website for example). :mad: This actually has a negative effect on me, so defeats the object of advertising if it puts me off...

This isn't a secret but if you want to take it to the extreme, there's actually a very easy way to see what any thread on this site looks like without ads. Search here for the thread you want:

http://www.avforumswithnoads.com/

That's pretty much what you'd see right there.

Mike.

This isn't a secret but if you want to take it to the extreme, there's actually a very easy way to see what any thread on this site looks like without ads. Search here for the thread you want:

Mike.

the funny thing is since talktalk hijacked my 404 i get nothing but ads :D

Mike.

I think the point we're making here is that we're becoming imune to them anyway, so don't even tend to 'see' them. I know the forum has to use them to keep it going, but I wonder how long before advertisers realise that they aren't working as well due to saturation...

Mike.

So tempting to register this and direct it back here :D

the funny thing is, I always ignore the advert to the right of the opening post in a thread, and I bet they pay a premium for that listing as well.

I don't take any notice of the ads either but subconsciously the details will have registered somewhere thus increasing brand awareness

I dont see really what the point in this thread is?

If youre immune, great, youre not annoyed by them.

If youre not, then good, advertisers are getting what theyre paying for and ultimatley keeping the forum running.

Im sure the advertisers will be given various stats from views and click throughs etc that they can make informed decisions as to whether to still advertise here so I really dont see why you would want to create a thread that is almost telling them theyre wasting their money and should stop.

Do you want to loose this community by making it paid only membership (as another extreme)?

I think the point we're making here is that we're becoming imune to them anyway, so don't even tend to 'see' them. I know the forum has to use them to keep it going, but I wonder how long before advertisers realise that they aren't working as well due to saturation...

As long as few people click on adverts (even by mistake), everybody's happy. I doubt the advertisement agency (or AVF) really *cares* about the fact that people don't take notice of those ads anymore. As long as people click on them (and I would think, mostly by mistake) and they can prove to their clients that this ad was clicked on XX times. That is it. The ad agency gets their money, the AVF gets the money and we have the forums.

I never take notice of any Internet advertising. It is always irrelevant and even if it is relevant, I do not trust those ads. They often work in completely the opposite way, ie the more 'in your face' ad, the less trust it gains.

They never really bothered me much until that bloody SafeCount.Net survey started popping up.......twice already this morning.

Also, what I don't like it when I check my emails and find adverts for things I've been looking at appear (some furniture today so it pops up on my email and when I'm on Pistonheads' website for example). :mad: This actually has a negative effect on me, so defeats the object of advertising if it puts me off...

That annoys me too. Most of the time when I look for something, if I find what I want, I buy it. Then I get days or weeks of adverts for something I don't need to buy anymore.
Surely the whole point of adverts is to tempt me with stuff I don't know about.

That annoys me too. Most of the time when I look for something, if I find what I want, I buy it. Then I get days or weeks of adverts for something I don't need to buy anymore.
Surely the whole point of adverts is to tempt me with stuff I don't know about.

thats google analytics for you it reads all the websites and products you browse and search for, then makes the adverts "relevant". More times than not though all it will do is replcate stuff you already own or have bought.

You need to opt out to stop this happening-

Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on Download Page

Mike.

I don't think anybody is advocating no ads, since there'd be no point in running a business without any real income.

Fewer adverts, just better executed and less intrusive might however be more effective for the advertisers and certainly less annoying for users, a win-win, surely?

And yet you all happy to pay for Sky that show ads in grorious HD with 5.1 sounds LOL

Not me no way no how.

And yet you all happy to pay for Sky that show ads in grorious HD with 5.1 sounds LOL

That's what Sky+ and then fast forwarding through the adverts is for, non? Sky charge for glorious surround-sound adverts, but provide a way of working around them :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom