Excellent Broadband Speedtest!

MARTYB2K

Ex Member
Reaction score
I just got the SKY Broadband Max Package installed. (Upto 16MEGS) and im very impressed so far. I switched over from BT which was 8MEGS and costing me £27 a month. Now i pay £10 a month. What a great saving. Anyway post your broadband speed results using this great tester. Im currently hitting about 7MEGS, with 600K uploads, which im more than happy with. Maybe one day it will get faster and get near the 16MEG the package is, but im happy for now.

Test Here:

6688 kbps download speed
6780 kbps upload speed

Free 2mb uni connection

So what does it mean? :p

6688 kbps download speed
6780 kbps upload speed

Free 2mb uni connection

So what does it mean? :p
It means that's not a 2Mb connection :smashin:
Similar to my score (7200) and I'm on 10Mb.
I can see Blueyonder getting the bullet.
£35 and I'm not getting what I'm paying for :mad:

904 down, 190 up. Wow.

I really need to move, although was considering Virgin until the post above. To be fair though, that is what I'm paying for, but I'm sure £18 a month can get me quite a bit more than that.

904 down, 190 up. Wow.

I really need to move, although was considering Virgin until the post above. To be fair though, that is what I'm paying for, but I'm sure £18 a month can get me quite a bit more than that.

To be fair Virgin are being very good about it. The no tie in is what appeals to me with Virgin

To be fair Virgin are being very good about it. The no tie in is what appeals to me with Virgin
No tie-ins, but £50 if you decide to leave though. Sounds pretty much like a tie-in to me, unless you're outside your first 12 months. That's the main thing putting me off really, they say you're free to leave, but charge you if you do! What other things are they hiding...?

That speed tester is very poor
Download Speed: 56898 kbps (7112.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 49317 kbps (6164.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Atleast the adslguide tester shows ~90Mbit both ways, which is a bit closer.

1979 down 186 up on a 2Mb NTL connection, seems about right?

Mines almost exactly the same as RegMarch's - but on a 2Meg Tiscali package. I'm able to get SkyMax in my postcode but am I right in thinking that you have to have your line rental thro' BT - I'm currently with Pipex for this.

I find these speed things confusing.:D

I got 996K down and 96K up.

I am paying for 512K each way - so how does that work?

Is this test accurate?

That speed tester is very poor

Atleast the adslguide tester shows ~90Mbit both ways, which is a bit closer.
I have to agree, I've used that tester over the past six months and compared to others it isn't very accurate at all.

I find these speed things confusing.:D

I got 996K down and 96K up.

I am paying for 512K each way - so how does that work?

Is this test accurate?

Not sure if you are talking about kilo bits or kilo Bytes per second (the NDO test reports both options) but either way your result looks like a glitch or you are not on the speed you think you are. Sure you are are on 512Kbps both ways? Very unlikeley unless you are on SDSL which costs hundereds per month.

While trying to fix my Virgin speeds they dissed ADSLOrg and recommended this

http://freespace.virgin.net/adsl.test/

which links to

Apparently the ADSL one s set up for a different type of connection - can;t remenber the techy bit.

Theres nothing wrong with the adsl guide test as far as these testers go, in fact its probably best of the bunch. The link you got from virgin is actually instructions on how to bypass your ISP and test directly on the bt wholesale network. This method is used to identify if speed problems are down to your ISP's network or are happening at the BTwholesale network level.

It means that's not a 2Mb connection :smashin:
You mean to say it's better than 2mb? And it's a free connection!

BTW ppl, I think most uni's have an open wi-fi network :p

I just got the SKY Broadband Max Package installed. (Upto 16MEGS) and im very impressed so far. I switched over from BT which was 8MEGS and costing me £27 a month. Now i pay £10 a month. What a great saving. Anyway post your broadband speed results using this great tester. Im currently hitting about 7MEGS, with 600K uploads, which im more than happy with. Maybe one day it will get faster and get near the 16MEG the package is, but im happy for now.

Test Here:

As I have posted before, these speed tests are not the best to test your connection for various reasons. Download a 100MB file from the site I link below. Let it run for a few minutes and see what your broswers downloader reports the transfer speed is. Much better "real life" test for your connection. Also bear in mind your connection speed will vary dramatically at different times of the day (peak vs off peak).

http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/

Assuming you mean kBps (note the capital B = kilo Bytes per second) which most browsers report speed in, then you are most definately not on a 2Mb connection. More like 8Mb+ and a pretty clean 8Mb, considering its sunday afternoon! Students eh, hogging everyone elses hard earned bandwidth for free :D

They say its 2mb!

We're not allowed on bittorent or p2p. But anything else goes :smashin: Makes those pesky 250mb Pro Evo music mods a breeze

Test Here:

I'm getting very nearly that on the Mid (8mb) package 6.5mb down / 420k up. for a fiver a month :smashin:

Rang them yesterday to change to Max so am looking forward to seeing 10Mb + hopefully

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom