1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ExBox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by G a f f e r, Jul 13, 2004.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    OK, sorry 'bout this xbox newbie post but loadsa q's need answering:

Gave my NGC to my niece, who appreciates the kiddie style games more than me anyway :D )

Am looking to buy an xbox now.
    Wanted a crystal one but seem to have missed the boat. Are there any plans for other special editions coming to the UK (like the Jap blue one?) If not, can I still get hold of a crystal one anywhere? Also, If I buy one, it will only have a shlef life of 1 year as the xbox 2 is planned to come out late 2005.....should I just wait for next gen instead?

Here are the games I would like:

Armed and Dangerous - made by the same folks who made my fave game of all time..MDK2 on PS2
    battle over Normandy - need a dogfight game to fix my craving for rebel strike
    PES 4 - of course :p
    Forza Sumink-or-other....meant to be a true clone of GT4 (GT3 was best game on ps2 imo), but PGR 1 was cr*p and PGR 2 only so so. This new game is meant to be as good as the gran turismo series if the hype is true...can't wait
    Timesplitters 3 - I prefered quake 3 to timesplitters as it didn't have any "easy option" fire and forget weapons....you had to hunt players down and shoot 'em face to face, so unreal tournament might be a better alternative?
    Driv3r - driver was a great game for ps1
    burnout 3 - again, great ps2 game with burnout 2
    kung fu chaos - looks hilarious :)
    Soul Calibur 2
    GTA san andreas

any comments? any alternatives i should shortlist instead?

Finally:
    I intend to use the xbox as a Games machine with the bonus of ripping Mp3 over to play as background music for the games.
    I Don't intend to use it as a cd player, dvd player, multimedia machine, go live, or ever buy any non-UK Pal games.
    With this in mind, should I just buy an off the shelf UK xbox, or do I need a premodded one with a bigger hard drive?
    I also have a native 720 projector, so a good video output is a bonus. Having said that, I was V V impressed with the digital RGB 480i output from my US NGC, so anything better than this would be a bonus really.
    I also need to have an optical output to send 5.1. audio to my reciever. Will an official advanced Scart lead give me this with a Pal xbox?

Silly q's I know, but the more I read on the net, the more confusing it gets :confused:

Any info / comments would be appreciated :D

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    OK then, I'll step up. Here's my 2 pence for the games I know about from your list (I've included Live as reasons for getting games, but you didn't indicate if you're getting this service or not):

PES 4 - good choice
    Forza - Motorsport IIRC; looks promising
    Timesplitters 3 - fine, should be good, but bear in mind Doom 3 sounds like it will have good deathmatch options
    Driv3r - stay clear! I got burnt and I'm still bitter. Fundamentally flawed game with nice frilly edges.
    burnout 3 - fine choice, and Live too!
    Soul Calibur 2 - cheap as chips now
    GTA san andreas - initially PS2 exclusive, so you may have to wait a good few months on Xbox.

You missed:
    Halo 2 - duh!
    Doom 3 - looking good on Xbox
    Full Spectrum Warrior - a bit different, and all the better for it
    Rainbow Six 3:Black Arrow - due in a few weeks, will be £20 and I predict a very popular Live game, especially now with in-built clan support
    ToCA Race Driver 2 - excellent on Live IMHO (if offline maybe Rallisport Challenge 2 or Project Gotham 2 is a better choice)

Buy an advanced scart lead as a bare minimum, you'll need it to get 5.1.
    If your projector can output 480p (or 720p or even 1080i, but not so much as not many games support this), some on this forum will tell you it may be worth considering getting the Xbox modded to output in these modes - you'll notice the difference.

I just rip my cds to the Xbox (when I'm not using it) to play in-game. Takes a while, but if you just leave it going whenever you can, you'll have loads on the hard drive before you know it.

Hope this helped a little... ;)

3. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dont forget Ninja Gaiden if your up for a challenge amazing game with some of the best graphics ever seen.

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Ah - just noticed in your last paragraph that you're not going Live, so scrub the ToCA RD2 and Rainbow Six 3:BA recommendations, there are better offline games, like Project Gotham 2 and Splinter Cell 2.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Some Woolworths still have Xbox Crystal in stock....My local one does, well last week. I am going to pick up a second one for Halo2 2 Live I reckon...

6. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Can't be done. you can only use audio cd's ripped by the xbox to WMA for use as in game music.

7. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Oops .
    I've just seen halo 2 demo (sorry, very silly of me to have missed this out lorenzi)
    also seen doom3 ---WOW
    unfortunately also clocked Resident Evil 4 (is it ethical to steal my NGC back from my niece :))
    and Killzone looks the best of the lot - would full spectrum warrior be the nearest equivalent on the xbox?
    (PS read loadsa reviews re:driv3r which agree with you)

add to that my lusting after PSP and the choice just gets harder and harder :(

Wild9: isn't ninja gaidan a DevilMayCry clone? I had this on my previous ps2 and loved the gameplay and graphics, but unfortunately hated the long periods between save points. You spend 20 minutes getting to the end of a level, make one m istake, get killed by the boss, have to go ALL the way back and start from scratch. I ended up getting very frustrated and exchanging it under half way thruogh.

Live - can't get that yet as haven't got broadband - but might in the future if the broadband packages become more competative.

Harrisuk, thanx 4 that, will check my local branch 2moro

JamesM - that's fine, so long as i can "individualise" the music ion some way. I have over 200 cd's to rip :D

Thanx 4 your help guys - hopefully I'll get lucky in Woolworths (by buying a console i mean :D

PS add Mashed to that list, looks like a good micro machines clone.
    Is there a decent Wipeout fusion clone (thought it was better than FzeroGX)?

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    oh your gonna be there a lone time when it take 15-20minutes per cd;)

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    No crystal's anywhere :mad:
    I'll go look on ebay...

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I rang my local Woolworths last week and they had plenty. Maybe I should have gone down and got one straight away....I will go tommorow and advice as regards stock situation. Maybe they can do a store transfer ?

11. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    If you want a modded box for high def, you can get a pre modded crystal xbox from baldbouncer.co.uk for £199

12. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Thanx Harrisuk, would be appreciated. Looked ALL over Brighton and no luck. Where is your local woolies store? (maybe commutable from here???)

Ebay has none either.

Neither does Crawley :mad:

that baldbouncer premodded would also need to be flashed wouldn't it?

(i just wanna set it up and use it straight away, preferbaly by spending £140 and using the £60 for more controllers/games than mods which I'm not sure i'll need)