Exactly what difference does screen make?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickBull, Mar 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a perfectly good (exceptionally cool actually) 16:9 electric screen (courtesy of B4 projection-don't know the make). It goes up and down at the touch of a button, looks great on the wall and the picture looks fab too.

My question is, if I was to splash out on a Tab tensioned or fixed Stewart screen, what benefits could I expect. Obviously there's more chance it willl hand straight, but what about material etc?

If the screen is twice the price, would there be quantifiable benefits from it?

Cheers

Nick

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I don't know what your screen is like so its hard to tell. I think that the biggest difference comes from the lovely black velux frame. I'll be interested to see how a CRT looks on my GrayHawk. Most people dismiss the idea out of hand, I will at least try it out. I would still get 13ftl from an 808s which is more than most people get with CRTs (due to larger screens).

Jeff

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    I've had three screens before my current Stewart. Two were electric, a Vutec, the other an Owl (made in Italy) and my first one a pull down manual job (forget which make)

The Stewart Studiotek 130 material is the reference material for CRT projectors. Some Ten years ago, Stewart was asked to produce this screen using specs laid down by Joe Kanes Imaging Science Foundation. These specs included the lower gain of 1.3 as opposed to the 1.5 gain which was more widely used at the time and a material structure that would conform to his flat spectral response requirements. The colour and white field uniformity of the Studiotek 130 material is still unsurpassed today.

The best version to buy is the framed flat version with the black velux surround. However, as I have kids who like to run around clutching felt tip pens, for sanitys sake, I had to opt for the electric tab tentioned studiotek 130. This is around three times the price (ouch) of the fixed version of the given size.

My screen size (actual white screen area) is 87"x49" which seems to be the size that most industry guru's are locked on at the moment. One of Kanes most well known comments were that "even for 9" CRT's, screens should be no bigger than 7ft wide". Many made a mockery of this for years but even the likes of Sam Runco has come around to Kanes thinking.
    If a bigger image is prefered, move closer to the screen. Simple.

Going back to 'whats the difference'.
    In short, 3D. Everything looks so beautiful and three dimensional its incredible. Colours just seem to be sucked in and seemingly lay there without going anywhere.

As our American cousins say, its a whole different ball game.

Eric

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Eric. It sounds like it could be a wirth upgrade at some stage. However I've only had my screen a few months and it's doign a good job.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.