• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Exact Scan or PC Mode?

davidcharles

Prominent Member
What's the difference between the two on the Toshiba TVs? I have a 47Z3030D

i believe exact scan is for hdmi connection only and only works with 1080res inputs...

where as pc mode must allow different resolutions etc and has certain screen processing turned off

i am sure someone will put it more technically than that but thats my understanding...:confused:

CorradoNut

Established Member
That sounds feasible enough.

I'm just wondering what mode would be best to run my Xbox at as my TV has no Game mode to reduce input lag. I'm guessing PC mode would be best due to the lack of processing?

c__w

Established Member
Try either and see. It may be that game mode enhances edges to make text clearer and ensures all processing off". All exact scan means is that it's not scaling the input at all, which is fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean stuff like 100hz, noise reduction, mpeg reduction etc is switched off.

On my Philips I leave "PC Mode" set to "off" as the sharpness is too much for games and the graphics don't look as good to me.

My old Toshiba ZF355 didn't have a game/pc mode and at the time I didn't know much about input lag; that TV had the same settings for all inputs which looking back might have caused a problem if it were like, say, a Phillips with Natural Motion, but it didn't cause any problems on the Toshiba having all the 100hz/cinema/processing etc left on; there was no noticeable lag. Whereas on the Philips 7404, if you leave Natural Motion on it's like stirring porridge playing Call of Duty because the response is so slow for example.

Last edited:

CorradoNut

Established Member
Thanks for the reply C_W,

I tried both modes last night and to be honest I couldn't notice an ouce of difference. The 100hz mode was enabled and disabled and in my eye's it made zero difference. Perhaps the TV has a low input lag anyway? I think the only way for me to tell is to hook up an CRT monitor and run that input lag stopwatch which is on the net. I'll keep this posted.

c__w

Established Member
Thanks for the reply C_W,

I tried both modes last night and to be honest I couldn't notice an ouce of difference. The 100hz mode was enabled and disabled and in my eye's it made zero difference. Perhaps the TV has a low input lag anyway? I think the only way for me to tell is to hook up an CRT monitor and run that input lag stopwatch which is on the net. I'll keep this posted.

Yea I think the input lag with 100hz on is not a problem on the Toshibas. I think your TV is a similar generation to the ZF355 I had, I never bothered altering settings from TV to PS3 and never had any issues with lag [because it was not noticeable]. The only difference between normal and pc modes might just be contract/edge sharpness enhancements perhaps.

CorradoNut

Established Member
That's right, I think your's was the Picture Frame model but it had the exact same processing as the Z series. I shall take a closer look tonight on a static image to see if I can see any difference.

Cheers :)

Phil

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom