Exact Audio Copy Folder and Naming Advice

pa01os

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have finally gotten around to archiving my CDs to FLAC using EAC. While this is straightforward with single artists discs, I am unsure of how to proceed with compilations.

My single artist structure is Pen Drive / Artist folder / Album folder thenTrack number following by Song Title (e.g. F:/Biffy Clyro/Infinity Land/01 Glitter and Trauma.flac etc)

With compilations I would like it to be Pen Drive / Various Artists folder / CD Title folder / Disc number folder then Track number, Artist, Song Title.

Can anyone help me with the syntax for this and whether I need to change any settings such as ticking use various artist naming scheme?

Many thanks

I may not have fully understood your problem but my approach would be to first create an Artist Folder called 'Various Artists' and then (manually) move your compilation rips into there using the same subfolder structure as for single artist albums. There should be no need to check the 'various artist naming scheme' box in the EAC options. Strictly speaking there should be no need to create a 'Various Artists' folder (EAC should do this automatically) but this would depend upon the 'albumartist' tag always being set up as 'Various Artists' which isn't always the case for some compilations.

Last edited:
Hi, don't know if this helps, but when I apply 'Various Artists' to album artist field on my compilations, my M&J displays 'Various Artists' for Track Artist. If I leave album artist blank, then the individual track artist is displayed. I use mp3Tag for my Flacs so not familiar with EAC.
I also add 'Disc 1', 'Disc 2' etc to album titles to make selection easier.

Strictly speaking there should be no need to create a 'Various Artists' folder (EAC should do this automatically) but this would depend upon the 'albumartist' tag always being set up as 'Various Artists' which isn't always the case for some compilations.
Yes I think this is the problem, hence the question. What I was hoping to be able to do was tick the "Various Artist" naming scheme and have it save the structure differently to the normal (single artist) structure, as in the layout I detailed above. What I am not clear on is the syntax structure. For example what do the % signs mean.
Hi, don't know if this helps, but when I apply 'Various Artists' to album artist field on my compilations, my M&J displays 'Various Artists' for Track Artist.
I think EAC should do the same but as per the above I am not sure how to get it to structure as follows:

Various Artists folder / CD Title folder / Disc number folder then inside this folder, track number, artist, song title (sorted on track number).

I have tried the following using the various artists scheme but it says invalid filename when I click ok:

%various artists%\%albumtitle%\%cdnumber%\%tracknr% %artist% %title%

So the command string for the below is what I'm after:
Top Folder Compilations
Sub Folder CD Title
Sub Folder CD Number

then inside the CD Number sub folder

Track Number, Artist, Song Title

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.
Thanks

I have tried the following using the various artists scheme but it says invalid filename when I click ok:

%various artists%\%albumtitle%\%cdnumber%\%tracknr% %artist% %title%

So the command string for the below is what I'm after:
Top Folder Compilations
Sub Folder CD Title
Sub Folder CD Number

then inside the CD Number sub folder

Track Number, Artist, Song Title

If you are going to use the 'various artist naming scheme' then EAC will automatically create (or use if it exists) a top level folder called 'Various Artists' so your string should be simply :-

%albumtitle%\%cdnumber%\%tracknr% %artist% %title%

Personally, I prefer to use unique track numbers for multi-disc albums - continuing the sequence for each disc - rather than separating them with the result that all tracks on the compilation reside in the same albumtitle folder. I find this approach simplifies searching but, as I said, this is just a personal preference.

Last edited:
Thanks, that is what I was after.
Personally, I prefer to use unique track numbers for multi-disc albums - continuing the sequence for each disc - rather than separating them with the result that all tracks on the compilation reside in the same albumtitle folder.
So to do that would I just remove %cdnumber%\ ?

Not sure if EAC is like dBPowerAmp, but for any compilations, I always title the "Artist Album" tag to define these. Then you can still use the original Artist and Album tags whilst locking the Ablum together

I've included an image showing the list even though the file type has been changed for my phone. The original album is directed to a folder I have with the same name so its easier for me to find. I also separate my music by year I've archived it meaning its so much easier for me to back up. Excuse my Album Artist name, I have so many old tunes in that folder from when I was a teenager, I went on a buying spree to find all the old music I had on tape and vinyl

music-file.jpg

For Various Artists discs (Soundtracks mostly - Mortal Kombat or Spawn for example) i keep the Artist as a 'Spawn Soundtrack' for all tracks and only change the Track Title to include the artist - ie. 03. Billy Squier - The Stroke (from Small Soldiers soundtrack),

Probably not the best approach - but this way i avoid having some absolute mess in my player with multitude artists that would contribute 1 track only...

See below for Small Soldiers OST done that way. Included tags for single track - that's how all my files are tagged (manually mostly) - it's simple and clear and quick to do/change.

id_tag.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom