EX98V with Freeview Box - Twin tuners

dwil

Standard Member
I am still thinking of buying a Panasonic EX98V HD/DVD/VCR machine. It has 1 digital tuner. It has scart connections for a second VCR and a digital satellite receiver. I have a freeview box. My TV has 4 Scarts.
I believe it's possible but difficult - particularly with timer recording - to set it up to record 1 digital channel & watch another digital channel.

Any views? Also if anyone has this machine any comments on it.

Gavtech

Administrator
I am still thinking of buying a Panasonic EX98V HD/DVD/VCR machine. It has 1 digital tuner. It has scart connections for a second VCR and a digital satellite receiver.

Note that it would be either/or. In other words there is only one available auxiliary scart for connection of additional equipment
I have a freeview box. My TV has 4 Scarts.
I believe it's possible but difficult - particularly with timer recording - to set it up to record 1 digital channel & watch another digital channel.

It should not be difficult at all.
Recordings would be set as normal on the machine and they will record from the units internal tuner.

I assume since you have a freeview box that your TV does not have an integrated digital tuner [ and if it does you don't need the box ] .... so that can be connected direct to the TV , totally independent of the EX98 ... and you can watch any channel of your choice on that.

There is an extensive thread... maybe two about the pros' and cons of going for this machine as it may not be necessary in all circumstances.

I'll see if I can find them if you wish to see them.

Gavtech

Administrator
I'll see if I can find them if you wish to see them.

I see that I've already directed you to these mails in earlier posts.

dwil

Standard Member
Thanks very much. Yes I've already had info from you on related a related matter. Anyway I think I'll go for it. I've tried to get hold of dvsuk who you say purchased a 98V but can't get a reply.

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks very much. Yes I've already had info from you on related a related matter. Anyway I think I'll go for it. I've tried to get hold of dvsuk who you say purchased a 98V but can't get a reply.

Good luck with your purchase.

Let us know how you get on with it when you finally get it.

dwil

Standard Member
Hello Gavtech,
Sorry to be a technophobe but if the freeview box is connected directly to the TV and the recorder acts independently into which does the aerial lead go?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Hello Gavtech,
Sorry to be a technophobe but if the freeview box is connected directly to the TV and the recorder acts independently into which does the aerial lead go?

Both (or rather all three).

RF from roof into STB RF in. From STB RF out to DVDR RF in. From DVDR RF out to TV RF in.

dwil

Standard Member
Thanks Broadz. I think I'm actually getting there. I've just realized that's how I've got my set up at present but with a VCR which I presume has an inbuilt analogue tuner. So by swapping my VCR for a recorder with a digital tuner everything should be hunky-dory. I told you I was a technophobe. but as the Panasonic is circa £500 I wanted to be sure.

ramjet

Banned
seeing as you already have a vcr I personally would not pay so much money for one of these , as vcr is going to be obsolete and you can just use an old vcr or buy a new one for little money nowadays

I would and have bought a dvd/hdd dvdr recorder ( in my case sony ) and panasonic do make these for maybe half the price

so you would probably be better off buying one without the vcr and use an old vcr until you have settled into using disks and the hdd , and you can archive from the old vcr to the hdd and dvd for any old recordings you want to preserve

so thats my 10p on the matter , and I havent used tapes for about 2 years or more , but still keep an old vcr "just in case" :)

dwil

Standard Member
Thanks Ramjet. I have considered your suggestion before, particularly as I don't think it's a good to have too many components in 1 machine. It's just that I have tapes that I still watch & I thought it would be easier than having an extra machine pugged in with regard to space,wires,connections etc. Even if I dub them to DVD it's still probably easier on 1 machine which is geared up for cross-dubbing.

ramjet

Banned
Thanks Ramjet. I have considered your suggestion before, particularly as I don't think it's a good to have too many components in 1 machine. It's just that I have tapes that I still watch & I thought it would be easier than having an extra machine pugged in with regard to space,wires,connections etc. Even if I dub them to DVD it's still probably easier on 1 machine which is geared up for cross-dubbing.

only if the tapes are home made , otherwise cross dubbing is not going to work anyway , and its extremely easy to transfer from an external vcr to a dvd recorder of any type anyway , using either scart or composite leads
once you have them on disk the vcr is then made redundant , you can even buy a combi for less than a hundred pounds and dub stuff should you need to ( my old method using a sony vx410 was like that )

hey , its your choice , but I wold not spend twice what I need to and end up with a vcr that isnt used , I already have stand alone vcr,s here not being used , and I now buy a sony 770 and upgrade the hdd to a bigger one , and can do this 3 times over + a vcr compared to the price of those panasonics :)

each to their own I suppose , but £500 is a heck of a lot of money on one combi , where you could pay half that and lose just the vcr aspect and you have a vcr anyway

but its your money , I can only advise you on my experience and the equipment I use and own

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom