• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

EX75 v HX725

E

Easternbrown

Hi all,
Bit of a newbie to all this dvd / hd technology but need to replace failing multiregion dvd player but I want to take the oppertunity to try and ditch the vhs as well.
I have a non HD widescreen tv and NTL through a PACE box, i have been looking at the Panny EX75 and the Sony HX725 but cant decide between them. Basically I want good quality recordings, easy to use EPG (that works with NTL), the ability to copy my videos onto DVD, mulitregion and not sure if i need HDMI or not, but is it worth getting as future proofing even though the telly isnt HD?
If anyone has my setup and one of these units (or even another one that ticks all the boxes) that they can recommend I would be very grateful...
Thanks
Andy

nialli

I've got the same set up as you: 32in CRT TV, NTL box...and a brand new Panny EX75.

The Panny EPG won't work with NTL - just Freeview and Analogue terrestrial. You record from NTL via one of the SCART inputs. You could use the EPG to select a programme from one of the Freeview channels and switch the channel to AV2 to take the NTL feed instead (the title and timing details would remain) but if you haven't got Freeview coverage it won't pick up the EPG info.

Other than that, it's an impressive box.

mandm

I like Ex75 but recently I discovered that you cannot use internal hard disk to be used as jukebox :mad: , not sure if its possible with Sony...
Although it's not the end of the world but would been nice to put all your MP3 on the HD and just create various play list to suite the occasion....

nialli

It's odd that the EX-75 won't let you copy mp3s onto the HDD as it plays them off CD (or even DVD) fine.

I think the Pioneer, which is another well reviewed model, has a good jukebox feature.

E

Easternbrown

Thanks for the info, i guessed that it would struggle with NTL, does it work better with sky?
Also, is it possible to copy videos from a VHS to the unit and if so how?
thanks
andy

nialli

No, the EPG is just Freeview.

Copying from VHS is a doddle. You plug a SCART with output from your VHS into the 75 and record like you would from any other source. What's more, it uses some clever clean-up software and the transfers from VHS look better than the originals.

It won't copy via SCART from pre-recorded VHS tapes that have Macrovision enabled. There aren't a lot of these around to my knowledge. If you want to copy these, you have to use the RF connections, with a notable loss of quality in the transfer.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom