EX75 - AV1 question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alan sh, Dec 28, 2006.

1. alan sh

alan sh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My Panasonic EX75 has my NTL box plugged into AV2 and a Video recorder plugged into AV3 (front). I select them from the remote with the channel up/down button and can record from the selected device. No issues so far

But, I can also select AV1. Now, as far as I know, AV1 is plugged into my TV - so how am I expected to record anything from that? What is the purpose of selecting AV1?

Thanks for any info

Alan

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,051
    AV1 is just like AV2... It is an input and output socket. It gives flexibility.

It can be used to 'Instant Record what you see' with one button push if the devices are so equipped.

It is also another optional input if you happen to be connected by HDMI or Component.

That scart would be free unless used for Qlink functions.

3. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Select it and see what you get. Assuming you've used a SCART to SCART lead between the EX75's AV1 and a SCART connector on the TV, then you can probably record the channel the TV is tuned to (regardless of whether the TV is actually displaying the channel at the time or one of its AV inputs). As Gavtech says, SCART connectors are both inputs and outputs. Most TVs provide a composite output from their tuner on pin 19 of the SCART socket you use as an input. You may be able to change the output signal in the TV's setup, for example you may be able to select the tuner output or signals on other AV inputs.

Having different signals in the SCART lead can cause interference if the signal wires in the lead aren't screened from each other, and this can produce a ghost image floating across the picture. This is why it's advisable to use SCART leads with individually screened signal wires or cores. Many cheap (and some not so cheap) leads only have an outer screen, which does nothing to stop this type of interference. The good news is that you can obtain fully screened leads at reasonable prices.

4. alan sh

alan sh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Right - thanks. When I select AV1, I just get a blank screen - so I guess my TV doesn't output anything.

But it's good to know

Alan

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,051
    You would get a blank screen because if you are watching the output the EX75, then it has no output ... because it has no input.
    You have an 'empty loop'

If you were to select AV1 on the EX75, and then switch the TV to a TV channel, and then press record on the EX75 , you would probably find it will have recorded what you watched onscreen because the TV will now be outputting something to AV1.