Answered EX700 has died - option to replace with a different model

Cameron583

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As the title says, my EX700 has developed a fault, and so JL have offered to swap it with a different model, which is ideal for me as it'll give me another 5 years warranty. Having worked there, I know how decent their customer care is, so I'd like to buy the TV through them.

The old model is a 50 inch, and replaced a 55F8000, which I love (it's now in the bedroom).

The drop in size from 55 to 50 wasn't the end of the world, but I would like to go back to a 55 if possible.

I loved the contrast on the EX700 - the only downsides to the TV are brightness (it's just quite dim - not noticeably more reflective than the F8000) and some sub par smearing with high contrast scenarios. It's also got some major vertical banding with grey pictures, but it's not a major issue, and I know it can vary TV to TV.

I've been looking at the MU7000, and I can get it for 699 price matched with JL - 200 more than I paid for my EX700. This is about the max I want to spend on a TV.

Any tips and experience would be much appreciated.

Hisense 55NU8700 or Samsung 55MU7000 are good choices.

If you want a better anti reflection filter as well as greater brightness look at the MU8000/MU9000 and Sony XE85xx series instead, more money but may be worth it for that better filter.

Hisense 55NU8700 or Samsung 55MU7000 are good choices.

If you want a better anti reflection filter as well as greater brightness look at the MU8000/MU9000 and Sony XE85xx series instead, more money but may be worth it for that better filter.

Any thoughts on the new Hisense U7A, as it looks in many ways a rebranded NU8700, but seems a little cheaper. I couldn't find much info on it

Yeah on paper it looks more like the NU8700 compared to the N6800. Might be worth a go. No reviews or user feedback on it yet though.

Hisense are good in the sense they tend to price their newer models more reasonably..most new series cost at least 40 percent more. It was the same last year.

Yeah it was the one thing I struggled with at JL. Though, when I worked there it was when the KS7000 and DX902 stuff had just come out, which was clearly better than the models they were replacing, so trying to sell them wasn't too tricky.

Bit of an update, I've yet to decide on a TV. I've been into JL Leicester today, however the conditions to try out the TVs weren't great.

I did get to see the MU7000, and it seemed to great bright, but compared to the QLED TV next to it, it still looked washed out and reflective (you could see shoppers in the background).

Not really sure what to do at this point - if anyone has any further input, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

MU7000 lacks the higher end anti reflection filter that's on the MU8000 and MU9000 plus the QLEDs.

Really though you don't want to judge a thing based on store loop material, even if they show a none promotional loop the TVs are still in inaccurate shop modes designed to grab your attention compared to the TV next to it in a brightly lit environment.

Really you need to demo a TV with your own content and in similar conditions and in the correct picture mode to get an accurate picture.

In fact I'm sure the reason the lower end model looked washed out is because the demo content is in hdr and HDR does not look good when displayed on a TV without good HDR capabilities. For SDR both will be very good.

MU7000 lacks the higher end anti reflection filter that's on the MU8000 and MU9000 plus the QLEDs.

Really though you don't want to judge a thing based on store loop material, even if they show a none promotional loop the TVs are still in inaccurate shop modes designed to grab your attention compared to the TV next to it in a brightly lit environment.

Really you need to demo a TV with your own content and in similar conditions and in the correct picture mode to get an accurate picture.

In fact I'm sure the reason the lower end model looked washed out is because the demo content is in hdr and HDR does not look good when displayed on a TV without good HDR capabilities. For SDR both will be very good.

The Royal wedding was on in JL so all the TVs were displaying the same content, plus they were happy to hand me the remotes to play with the TV settings.

After checking some recommended settings for the MU7000 and cranking the backlight, it was still quite reflective. Where it was situated in the store, it had soft sky lights providing similar lighting conditions to my front room, and you could see shoppers in the reflection of the TV. Not quite as bad as the EX which almost looks like it has a glass display, but it definitely wasn't as good as my Samsung F8000 which is what the TV ultimately replaced.

Look at the MU8000 or MU9000 instead then maybe? It's good they let you have a play with some normal content:)

From when I used to work in the Cardiff store, I know it was rare they would play "demo" content - it was generally only Samsung on their flagship stuff showing off super saturated colours and an OLED with very contrasty scenes. Other than that we'd have football games from USB sticks being played on most TVs, and would keep a few demo film clips etc, inc different HDR demos depending on which version the TV used. But, that was Cardiff, and the team there on the 3rd floor are excellent - super knowledgeable.

I've been looking as the XE85 for £749 - seems like a decent price. I'm not fussed about HDR at all, as I know to get a decent experience I'd want OLED or an LCD with FALD.

I don't really want to spend more than £700, though would stretch perhaps £50 for the right model.

Not fussed on smart features at all, as I used an Xbox One S with it. The TV is rarely on without it on as well.

I was hoping they'd have the Hisense U7A in there to demo, but they didn't :(

I've been doing a bit of digging, and have got 2 options:

• Open box MU8000 with 5 year warranty for £699
  • New XE8596 5 year warranty £749

I've been doing a bit of digging, and have got 2 options:

• Open box MU8000 with 5 year warranty for £699
  • New XE8596 5 year warranty £749
Both almost identical, look at other aspects maybe such as software and aesthetics? Samsung also has 4x HDMI 2.0a ports vs Sonys 2x HDMI 2.0a and 2 x HDMI 1.4a so the Samsung is a little more future proof in this respect.

Both almost identical, look at other aspects maybe such as software and aesthetics? Samsung also has 4x HDMI 2.0a ports vs Sonys 2x HDMI 2.0a and 2 x HDMI 1.4a so the Samsung is a little more future proof in this respect.

I'm running an AVR and only use the TV for a console so I'm not worried by the inputs or smart features as I never use them. Aesthetics are irrelevant also - as long as they have slim bezels then all is good :)

Xbox One May 2018 update adds 120Hz support for silky smooth gaming | TechRadar

For this the XE85 supports 120hz @ 1080p

Samsung has the edge with smart TV for being faster and more reliable.
Sony has the edge with smart TV if you want to install lots of different apps but is slower and more clunky.

If you use the freeview tuner the Sony also has the Youview app, the Samsung just a non-smart guide.

Just wanted to update the thread in case anyone comes across it.

I picked the Sony up, and it's lovely. Quite a big step up from the Panasonic - significantly better uniformity. Not much brighter, but handles reflections a lot better. Much less glare from the panel, really well built, no obvious banding from what I can tell. Seems to handle high contrast motion a lot better too - I havent noticed any black smearing.

Android OS is fine - it's not quick, but I haven't found it to be slow either. I'd say on par with a basic firestick.

Overall really happy with it, spot on for gaming. Not bad for £729!

Overall really happy with it, spot on for gaming. Not bad for £729!
Great and thanks for letting us know you are happy! It certainly is a great TV for the money and a good anti reflection filter at that. :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom