1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EX speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by StephenR, Mar 5, 2001.

1. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything I've read about placing speakers for Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES tells you to put two dipole speakers at the sides of the listening position and two regular speakers behind. But what if you don't have dipoles? Is it best to put the four rear speakers in a line behind the listening position, or perhaps have the rear left and rear right speakers a bit further forward and pointing in a little?

I'm a bit confused as to whether it is even possible to obtain a good EX/ES effect without using dipoles, so any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Regardless of the type speakers, the back rears should ideally be place high up on the rear wall. In a EX setup the rears should be placed on the side walls slightly ahead of the listening position. As for type of rear speakers, THX specify dipoles for rears and back rears. I have bipoles as rears and monopoles as back rears and while I have nothing to compare them to, for me it works very well.

3. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stephen,

It stands to reason that to get the sound to 'wrap around' you will need to have the 4 rear speakers on different planes. I have used dipoles for 5.1 only and was quite happy with that.

Now, I'm using 4 direct speakers in a 6.1 set up and it is awesome.

However, as with all things with speakers, you should experiment as much as practical with positioning and settle on what you like the sound of best.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A couple of useful pointers. Use two rears even with a 6.1 set up. What you need to avoid is the rears being in the same plane / line as the centre. I.e you need to set up a triangle between the centre and rears, otherwise it is difficult to work out where the sound is coming from. This may sound daft but it is true, honest.

I have chosen the dipole route personally. Others have used uni (mono) directional speakers. Some have used bi poles. There are lots of solution to this problem. If side wall are close dipoles may help. Uni dirrectional speakers have their supporters at the rear. Many people promote (for good reasons) di poles on the sides and unis on the rears. This I think has some merit for small UK rooms. Although I haven't done that yet (I have the capability to test one day). There is more information on this on the Tag web site, use search engine. Remember there are many solutions to this problem, you may well be happy with several of them.

5. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I'll probably try it out - I just wanted to make sure that dipoles weren't "required" for 6.1 sound, as I don't want to buy another two direct rear speakers and find it wasn't worth it!

6. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71

If you ignore the Yamaha review the diagrams and text about speaker placement make very interesting reading.

Cheers for that Jim, just got to get the speaker up high on the wall bit past the trouble and strife though, otherwise definitely good reading