1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ex-pat searching for advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Gables, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Gables

Gables

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this site, but am quite happy I stumbled across it. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

By way of background, I just commenced my UK assignment and will be living in the UK for the next 2-3 years max.

I am looking to purchase a flat screen display (either LCD or Plasma) to go along with my SKY plus package that is being installed tomorrow.

I understand that HD content is scarcely available in the UK, but that there will be 6 HD channels available on Sky beginning next year.

I can't use the display as a television in the States, but would love to use it as a computer monitor, if possible.

I enjoy watching sports and regular programming on TV - not much of a movie buff.

I'm struggling with spending too much money on a display that I will only be able to enjoy for a few years as a television.

I really don't like CRTs, but if that is the sensical thing to do, then so be it.

The good wife has limited the size of the display to either 37" or 40" max.

I enjoy both plasmas and LCDs, but at this range slighly prefer the LCD.

I have a budget of 1,600 GBP max.

I am leaning toward the Samsung LE40R51BX LCD, but am extremely open to suggestions.

Keeping the foregoing in mind, what do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

2. Gables

Gables

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump to the top. Anybody? :lease:

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Not true. Just about all LCD TVs sold in the UK (and probably all of the ones from Japanese brands) will be able to show NTSC standard US signals just fine. It's just that you'll need to connect an American cable, satellite or over-the-air decoder to the TV to do so.