1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EX, ES, and 6.1 audio and Hollywood Plus

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Bascombe, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

been thinking of getting a surround system together, and am currently playing dvds on tv via a Hollywood Plus outputting svid. Now, I am for the time being entirely happy with the H+ image wise, but just suddenly wondered - will my search for the ideal affordable av ap (current candidate yamaha rxv430) hit a bit of a hurdle if the H+ can't output the newer sound formats via the spdif? I'm not too far up on the tech aspect of it all-does the H+ just send out a 'raw' digital signal, and the amp does the rest, or do both have to support the sound format??

Any input would be most welcome :)

Cheers

Bascombe

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The H+ should output all the DD and dts formats fine. They are there to be backward compatible.

3. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Glad to hear it - its one of the better hardward purchases I've made, and I'm loathe to part with it at the mo!

Cheers

Bascombe

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Should you ever want to replace it, the current step up is the Sigma X card which can do RGB SCART and progressive component output, among other clever things.

5. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My understanding is that the H+ can also do rgb out - but you need to do all sorts of homebrew cable making. I've also seen posts that it'll put out a progressive scan signal, tho again it needs a special cable. Tv cant do progressive, but rgb out would be nice.....if I can only get to grips with the whole cable making thing:)

Cheers

Bas