Ex-Epson customer looking for Canon MP600 recommendation ?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Figment, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    My 18 month old Epson RX520 Multifunction has bitten the dust by way of the scanner packing in. Any copying or scanning results in a print or on-screen view of what I can only describe as a dark tartan pattern the size of whatever should be on the page.
    An online chat with Epson's customer help service told me the thing was knackered and would be cheaper to replace than repair.
    I am usually a loyal brand customer to products I like but quite frankly I have just about had it with Epson this being the third multifunction printer of theirs that I have had that has died shortly after the 1 year warranty expired. I have heard of built-in-obsolescence but hell I swear these things have a built in self destruct clock.
    Anyway after some research of other brands around £100 mark I am looking very favourably toward the Canon MP600. It seems well regarded in reviews and when purchased from PC World at £109 for another £20 you can get a 3 year instant replacement warranty which given past experience seems one big bargain.
    Anyone have any recommendations why I should buy this machine ? or any pressing reasons why I shouldn't ?.
    Thanks in advance. :)

2. Caralfa

Caralfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you are looking for at the price you want to pay is very cheap! If you are purely a domestic 'small amount user' ok, but if you are using it as a part of your 'Office Equipment', buy a commercial unit. I doubt if a '3 year instant replacement warranty' will cover you for very heavy use as they will put it down to 'Wear and Tear '
    Even £100 is a low price to pay for a good printer alone!

3. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for the reply Caralfa. My machines do indeed get very light use, mainly for printing web pages, a few documents, and the occasional photocopy, very rarely photo's as the wife works in Boots on the photographic dept it is cheaper than printing my own photos.
    It is really about having all the functions there as a convenience when needed and in one package to save space. To give you some idea I use a set of carts probably no more than 3 or 4 times a year but whatever products / devices I buy, I always like something of reasonable quality balanced against how much it will be used and preferably with recommendations of other users.
    With no other help from this source I will probably just have to be led by buyer recommendations from the likes of ebuyer which are very high fro the Canon MP600.

4. Caralfa

Caralfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MP600 is far from being a fast printer and could be a bit expensive for cartridges as it is rather heavy on ink, due to head cleaning system. It is also not recognised as a 'good' photo copier/printer. But if your wife has contacts you obviously wont print photos on it. It is good for the money and one big advantage is that you can change the print heads yourself which is something that Epson should be looking at.

5. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks again. I really am in a bit of a quandary over this one as I have checked the Canon ink prices which do seem rather steep for genuine carts. I may have to have another reluctant look at Epson once again the outgoing RX 560 looks about the spec I want and carts for that are cheaper than my old RX520.

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I would suggest you
    Look at the HPs

Pay a visit to Cartridge Worlds ( or make enquiries to similar places as to compatibles which cost less)

I think that all the big names ( HP, Canon Epson ) have pros and cons and no one can now claim to be "the best"
    I have several Hps which have refused to die..:smashin:

An R300 Epson whose photo prints were superlative but has died:devil:.. paper feed is knackered:thumbsdow
    And a very nice Pixma from Canon Ip 4300 whose every day prints and Photos are quite pleasing.. despite rating to the eeffect it is slow compared to the 5300, and not as good as 6400 for photoprints
    Granted none is an MFD ( for scanning I have a separate Epson scanner or 2 which intergrate well), but simply state all the above to dissuade you from being "Brand loyal" and miss out on better kit