ex display pioneer kuro pdp-lx5090

stokes2608

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been offered a ex service pioneer lx5090 for £1700 the TV has been on display for 3 months at 10 hours a day should I be worried about that many hours on display?

Well check it out from toe to toe.....if not a single burn-in is seen then get it. Great price and still the one to get after the KRP's and if 3D is not what your after.

I've been offered a ex service pioneer lx5090 for £1700 the TV has been on display for 3 months at 10 hours a day should I be worried about that many hours on display?

If there's any warranty on it then I would grab it quick sharp:thumbsup:

The panel will be nice and settled with around 900 hours on it, nothing to worry about at all.

1 year warranty on it. One of the last few at richer sounds if I get it home and there is burn in on the screen would I be able to take it back?

Shouldn't be a problem, would be best to check with them first..possibly test it in the shop:thumbsup:

I picked it up yesterday and its the best TV I have ever seen I can not fault it far improved over the V20. I will run the hours check this morning just out of interest.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I bought one of these from this ebayer

USB 2.0 to 9 pin RS232 COM Port Serial Adapter on eBay (end time 22-Jun-10 11:18:20 BST)

Please note I have no connection with this ebayer and I can't guarantee they are selling the same adaptor that I bought.

However, it looks identical in the picture :)

Assuming this RS232 adapter works, would you just plug the adapter into the 5090, run a USB extension cable from the adapter to a PC, then open the KuroTIMEsetup.exe program to automatically see hours ?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Assuming this RS232 adapter works, would you just plug the adapter into the 5090, run a USB extension cable from the adapter to a PC, then open the KuroTIMEsetup.exe program to automatically see hours ?

Sadly no...

You also need a gender changer adaptor or a serial cable with sockets at each end.

This is because Pioneer put a 9W plug connector on the back of the TV and the USB/serial adaptor is also a plug.

So you need a 9 way skt/skt serial adaptor. (AKA gender changer)

Just to complicate things, you need to avoid NULL MODEM cables as these appear to be exactly what you need (SKT to SKT cable) but they have a pin swap on pins 2 and 3 so this type of cable won't work.

Sadly no...

You also need a gender changer adaptor or a serial cable with sockets at each end.

This is because Pioneer put a 9W plug connector on the back of the TV and the USB/serial adaptor is also a plug.

So you need a 9 way skt/skt serial adaptor. (AKA gender changer)

Just to complicate things, you need to avoid NULL MODEM cables as these appear to be exactly what you need (SKT to SKT cable) but they have a pin swap on pins 2 and 3 so this type of cable won't work.

Thanks for the info Chelsea Fan.

OK, so thats a serial cable (skt/skt) from the USB/Serial adapter (plugged into the PC) straight to the back of the 5090 ! Then, run the Kuro.exe program......

Can I assume that the KuroTIME program does not put a "flag" on the 5090's eeprom to show that the service menu has been accessed and therefore invalidates any outstanding warranty.

Thanks for the info Chelsea Fan.

OK, so thats a serial cable (skt/skt) from the USB/Serial adapter (plugged into the PC) straight to the back of the 5090 ! Then, run the Kuro.exe program......

Can I assume that the KuroTIME program does not put a "flag" on the 5090's eeprom to show that the service menu has been accessed and therefore invalidates any outstanding warranty.

It doesn't need to access service mode to get this data :)

There's a whole load of RS-232 commands that can be sent to the TV without needing service mode including the ISFccc interface. You can also control the TV as if you were using the remote control. i.e. call up the usual onscreen menus and change channel or volume etc etc. The info to do all this is on the Pioneer website.

Service mode access requires a separate command and this unlocks loads more commands but no one really needs access to these.

The only possible exception is the grey sidemask control for 4:3 content. In order to change these to black you need to access service mode first.

I haven't released any freebie programs to allow sidebar adjustment for that very reason. i.e. the TV has to be put in service mode first.

I'm not convinced the warranty would be automatically invalidated anyway and I would be more concerned that people would want to explore service mode and end up adjusting stuff that should be left alone.

There's a whole load of RS-232 commands that can be sent to the TV without needing service mode including the ISFccc interface. You can also control the TV as if you were using the remote control. i.e. call up the usual onscreen menus and change channel or volume etc etc. The info to do all this is on the Pioneer website.

Service mode access requires a separate command and this unlocks loads more commands but no one really needs access to these.

The only possible exception is the grey sidemask control for 4:3 content. In order to change these to black you need to access service mode first.

I haven't released any freebie programs to allow sidebar adjustment for that very reason. i.e. the TV has to be put in service mode first.

I'm not convinced the warranty would be automatically invalidated anyway and I would be more concerned that people would want to explore service mode and end up adjusting stuff that should be left alone.

Ok. That's great :smashin:

when I try to get the software to run it can not find the com port what am I doing wrong?

Could you provide a link to this please.

I'm still waiting to find out !

I bought a USB/Serial adapter (the one on eBay linked earlier in this thread) and an RS232 cable. However, when I tried to plug the cable in to my LX5090 I found that the TV wall bracket partially obscured the service connector on the back of the TV.

I have therefore ordered a Right Angle DB9 to DB9 Serial Cable Adaptor which, I hope, will solve the problem and enable me to access the TV hours menu.

I should receive the adapter within the next few days so I'll let you know how I get on.

Whoops sorry for the late responses as I didn't flag this thread.

If the SW can't see the COM port then any of the following could be wrong.

1/ The 9 way serial cable is incorrect. Can you remove it and bleep test it to make sure that

pin 2 goes to pin 2
pin 3 goes to pin 3
pin 5 goes to pin 5

i.e. check that it is not a NULL MODEM cable.

2/ Your PC has assigned your USB/Serial COM port a higher value than 16. Can you check this in Windows Device manager? You can change it to a lower number but it is a bit fiddly.

My software only works with COM port 1 to 16.

3/ The TV isn't set to the default serial Baud rate of 9600 bps.
You can check and change this (if necessary) in the TV's INTEGRATOR menu.

4/ Your USB/Serial adaptor (if you are using one) isn't compatible with the drivers used in my SW :(

Hope this is useful :)

Could you provide a link to this please.

The best thing is to go on the Pioneer website and navigate to whatever TV/appliance you require.

eg try this link

Pioneer USA - RS-232 Codes

Otherwise just google

RS-232 Pioneer

and you will find loads of direct links to generic RS-232 codes.

You can also get model specific RS-232 codes in the relevant Service Manual. Eg I obtained the service manual for the LX-5090 to get the codes for my TV.

There are other Pioneer docs on their website that aren't as easy to find. i.e. I think they are blocked from the usual online navigation. I had to resort to some sneaky methods to gain access to them ;-)

Last edited:
how do you do a bleep test with the 9 pin cable

Sorry for any confusion, I just mean test it for continuity with a circuit tester. eg check that

pin 2 connects to pin 2
pin 3 connects to pin 3
pin 5 connects to pin 5

Some continuity checkers also make a bleep noise to speed up the testing. Hence 'bleep test' :)

Cheers I have discovered I purchased a null modem cable anyone recommend where I can get one that will work:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom