1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ex-Dem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Semiskimmed1976, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hey all,

Just wondering, have any of you had bad or good experiences with buying ex-dem stuff?

The reason I ask is i'm being offered an ex-dem amp, which is four months old. However I started to question stuff like how come it has a big drop in price (in my case £700) and also whether the amp running for four months (I suspect almost continuously) and having speaker setups changed so the customer can hear what he wants to hear would degrade the amp to such a point that its not worth taking the risk?

I was well interested in buying this amp, but a friend put me off because of the reasons above...but would be interested to hear your opinions and whether you've had good or bad experiences going down this route?

Cheers,
    Matt

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why should using the amp for different speakers degrade the amp? In fact it's been run-in for a year so I doubt it'll suddenly fail on you. Do check that the amp has been switched off every time speaker cable has been removed though.

I've bought ex-demo pair of speakers (hardly used) and quite a bit of second hand stuff. No problems. I would guess it'll have a lower probability of failure, compared to "out of the box" model that's untested.

I would only buy 2nd hand/ex-demo from my friendly local dealer, and not from another dealer. Both some 2nd hand gear from direct seallers though. I've bought a second hand £100 DD processor that failed 6 months later. He fixed it FOC, and quite expensive repair I believe (whole new board) :) I very much doubt some others would even bother.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As Nathan says, i wouldnt worry too much. Amps are the best thing to buy this way, there dont tend to be many moving parts like on cd/dvd players and the most common things to go wrong will be easily fixed. So long as the dealer is happy enough to cover it, i wouldnt worry about it at all.

Ad

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If it's a decent quality amp,and by the sound of the discount,it probably is,then I would have no problems buying ex-dem gear.
    Most reliability issues appear soon after an amp's initial purchase.
    Check that there is a suitable warranty....out of curiosity...which model is it?

5. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The model in question is a Onkyo TX-DS898.

I posted a message a couple of weeks ago asking for peeps opinions and everyone said its a good model and I should go for it...which I was prepared to do, until I spoke to my mate...I was concerned that constant use and changing the speakers being that its used to show off other bits of kit etc will degrade the ports/internals but from what you've said, that may not seem to be the case :)

The guy in my local showroom said that i'd be fully covered from the moment I buy, but for that money I didn't want to make a mistake...so thought i'd check before parting with 1,100k - just I know if something goes wrong, the missus will kill me :)

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If it has a full warranty,than I think you have very little to fear.....Onkyo's build quality and sound are perfectly fine in their price range.
    Another idea....as for the price,just divide it by two for domestic consumption...has worked here for some time!

7. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i've always divided by two :) but thanks for your comments and to the other users too, much appreciated!