Evolution

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by HoTTdog, Aug 14, 2006.

1. HoTTdog

HoTTdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would like to talk about evolution. Like the dinosaur before it, the CRT is dead and is now replaced by flat-screen technology in the competing shapes of Plasma and LCD (yuck). Now it seems to me that the only reason these flat screens were developed was a result of an aesthetic imperative to mount them on the wall like a picture. And IMHO this is where they should be deployed. My PW8 is mounted thus and I can only gasp at its infinite beauty. It's even better when its switched on! I can't see the point in a plasma television sitting on a stand like a CRT.

However, I can undertsand why this has happened and the reason is that the associated media boxes (DVD, Amp, Sky, TV-Drive etc) have not evolved from their nautral habitat; namely the shelves of the stand holding the CRT.

Isn't somebody missing a trick here? Why can't I get my various media boxes in the same thickness as my plasma and then I wouldn't have to compromise the aesthetic by having to install a stand to hold them? I think only B&O have made any attempt to address this issue.

Does this irritate anybody else or am I just picky?

2. MaryJane

MaryJane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    [First Post]

Yep, I agree with you.

I've just bought my first plasma and it's for the very reasons you stated that I bought a shelved glass plasma table rather than wallmount.

I'd love to have it hanging on the wall, but what's the point when you still need a table/stand for the VCR/DVD/Digi Box/PS2/Gamecube etc.!!!:)

3. HoTTdog

HoTTdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Welcome to the forum MaryJane :)

4. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Firstly welcome to the forums..

My plasma is wall mounted for a couple of reasons...

1. being wall mounted, it cannot be accidentally knocked over and damaged...

2. It i shigher then a normal TV; more of a cinematic expereince.

The boxes can be moved away from the plasma, and just a cable or two used to connect it.

When I have my room refurbsihed soon, the electronics will dissappear behind a wooden cupboard.

adrian

5. HoTTdog

HoTTdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That all dpends on the layout of your room/ability to cable away from the panel.

How does that work for the remote?

Cheers :)

6. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145

the plan is to have speaker grill material covering the door; this will aid ventilation of the units and allow IR to pass through.

For a couple of das I had the material over the units, and the Pronto seemed to work still.

For more information, click on my setup in my signature file.

Adrian