Evohome Query wifi on ATC928

WonkyJim

Established Member
Reaction score
A little confused and just wanting confirmation.

My plumber supplied Evohome base pack that includes a Central Controller ATC928.

The ATC928 does not have a setup wireless network option on the menu. But I thought it should have, I just spoke to evohome support and they said it should be the wireless model and were slightly confused in that it had no wireless option and only has an add gateway option in the installation menu.

Do I need to pick up a RFG100 mobile access kit? Or return the ATC928 as it should have wifi?

Cheers

You've got the older generation Evo Home that used a separate RFG100 gateway to add network/app access. This was discontinued last year so only suppliers with very old stock will have any left. This model is not receiving any updates, so if you were expecting to get the current model you should ask your plumber to replace your Evo unit with a wifi model.

When u say not getting updates ...
Is that because it's not connected or it's no longer under ongoing support/development?

Bit loathed to swap it out now as its all set up. If just adding the gateway gets sorts out ongoing firmware updates I may just do that?

No more development on the b/w or colour models that needed the separate bridge, that's right.

Honeywell are developing a whole bunch of products for Evohome. I haven't seen any of the latest news, but it's possible the controller will be replaced yet again.

Technically the original colour Evo could be updated via USB but it has never had any updates released. The gateway may get updates pushed out to it but only to add features in other products that still use it (single zone stat for example). This older version of Evo is no longer supported, and any further updates will only be made to the Evo with integrated wifi.

If you are happy with your current Evo then add the gateway if you want remote /app access. Otherwise it has no improvements that make it work any better in terms of its main heating control functions. You are only missing minor UI changes such as the indicator to show a setpoint has been changed at an HR92 controller.

I thought there were some fuzzy logic algorithm changes in the new WiFi version. I saw on Connected Home that there were a few upset owners that felt that they are forced into an upgrade because they believe that they would benefit from it. I must admit, the amount of times my system decides to almost ignore set points and over heat is quite often in the Spring and Autumn, not so much in the Winter.

The additional problem with the upgrade is if you have your controller wall mounted, you'll need a new mount too. Not sure why they felt the need to change it but that's a double blow to the wallet.

I think Optimum Start/Stop resides in the main controller, but all temperature control strategy is in the local controllers so cannot be upgraded (not that it needs to be as its mature code that has been tested and refined over many generations going back to the late 1990s).

Ok thanks folks. Took it back today and pointed out they'd us a old version despite me asking for the correct version. No quibble swap over and 'sorry' - spent all afternoon setting it back up! :)

Glad you got it sorted. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom