1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evo 3b, MS Avant or MA Bronze?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by First-Timer, Sep 3, 2004.

1. First-Timer

First-Timer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is the better bet - they all cost between £700-£800.

I want them for movies and stereo music.

2. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm currently looking at those, but not the entire package, just the floorstanders and centre speaker.
    I have decided on the evo i think, even though I've not heard it properly.
    Basically it is the cheapest, 250 for the mains, 110 for the centre from hispek.com
    also it has had some great reviews...

3. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can tell you about the MS Avant. I have the 906 fronts and 905c centre. I have also heard the AE stuff. They are both superb sounding speakers. I went for the MS as I think they look excellent. I would also say they have the edge in terms of sound.

Just go with whatever you prefer the looks of - both speakers really are top value.

If you do choose the MS, I would go for the higher end 906s rather than 904s. I initially bought the 904s, which were great, but I wanted more low end power :devil: so took em back and upgraded to the 906. Definately worth the extra money if you can stretch to it.

Good luck

4. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +226
    Personally I'd go for the Evo system. I have the mains in my hifi room, and they are sweet. We also stock the MS where I work and for me the Evos left them reeling! However that's not to say the MS system is poor, quite the opposite in fact!
    Markie Boy

5. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    My mate has the Evo 3B package and I was mightly impressed when I heard it. Top notch speakers for AV. I've just picked up a pair of MS908's on the cheap and, although very good, they sound much better with music than movies.

6. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malabby, I noticed you have not listed any other speakers in your equipment. Are you just listening to movies in 2 channel? If this is the case, the overall sound will be 100% improved if you complete the system with 905 centre and 903 or 902 rears.

7. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Funny you should mention that as I've just sold my 902's, 905 and 302's to my mate. I was only looking to change the fronts to floorstanders but my mate wanted all of my old lot so I'm replacing bit by bit. It's looking like I'll go for another 905 and get 903's for the rears. I'm on the lookout for either a 309 or an XL200 to complete the set up.

Unfortunately, I may have to bin the 908's as the other half hasn't taken to the look or the size of them. Bloody women :thumbsdow

8. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She should understand blokes' needs! haha. My situation worked quite well with my girlfriend. Got the smallish 904s, which she liked the look of. But then without saying anything (thought i'd test her) went and changed 'em for the slightly larger 906s. And no... she failed to notice. Funny thing was, we were sat discussing the look of them, she was asking why they didnt put the tweeters between the two drivers (except it was more along the lines of, why arent the small circles between the big ones) HAHA. Having looked at the speakers this long, she still didnt realise id even changed 'em! I did tell her though - just thought i'd test her knowledge of AV stuff first!

On a more serious note...

So youre having to ditch the 908s? If you're getting a decent sub, the 906 may be an option (slightly more woman friendly). I have seen the 908 in Richer Sounds and they do stick out a bit compared to the 906. Personally though I wouldnt go smaller than the 906's, as these give a much stronger midrange than the 904s.

9. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    It's not so much the size, it's the colour. I had my old 902's on silver Nexus 6 stands and she really liked them. Maybe if the 908's were all silver, she might like them more. I suppose there's always tin foil :laugh:

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Or spray paint :devil: