'Evil eBayer sellers' - please, enough!!

Reaction score
perhaps I am opening a can of worms here - but isnt all this 'ebay sellers are evil' talk a bit backwards? its supply and demand - we happily use it in other aspects of our daily lives. do those who have made a profit on their house during the increased demand in certain areas complained? no and rightly so. how about those selling antiques? supply dwindles, demand is high - price is high

many of this sellers proberly camped out for hours, queued up for ages, or pre-ordered and poaid a deposit months ago. That would equate to some worth in my book - absolutely.

For the record - i am not one of them - I'm keeping my Wii, but I am growing increasingly tiresome of all these short sighted and hypocritical posts regarding people doing what every major retail outlet, distrubution company, house seller, antiques dealer etc do each and every day!!

rant over.

Personally I say fair play to them.

If people are willing to pay the premium and clearly there are judging by the market on Ebay then so be it.

You pay your money you take your choice. No one is forcing them to, plus a lot of it is because they think they HAVE to have one now because they are rare. Weird thing the human mind LOL

A lot of the people who whine and say stuff I would put money that if they had 2 of them they WOULD do the same. Its usually the ones whose pre order didnt come through.

I left it to late for a 360 last year and and had to pay more for one, was my fault and I wanted one.

I'm with you on this.

As much as I dont like the idea of people buying them just to sell on at a profit, we live in a free market economy and when demand exceeds supply there will always be people willing to pay over the odds, and there will always be people trying to make a fast buck.

As you say nobody has to buy off ebay, just wait until there's more supply available. Part of the problem is we do live in a 'now' society where nobody is prepared to wait for anything any more. Its only a games console!

I agree that if there are people willing to pay those prices, then this kind of thing will always happen.

However, I can imagine the stink if Nintendo sold the Wii for £360 for two months before Christamas, and then dropped the price afterwards as more stck arrived in the country. I mean, look at the slating Sony got when the PS2 launched. £400 to ~£200 IIRC, big drop.

I'm not bothered by the people selling a spare pre order that they had as a backup in case their primary order failed to arrive, in all honesty who wouldn't?
The people that are selling on ebay that have 10 or more auctions and pictures of stacks of wiis are without doubt a contributing factor to the fact that genuine buyers are unable to walk into a shop and buy one for the rrp though.

The people that are selling on ebay that have 10 or more auctions and pictures of stacks of wiis are without doubt a contributing factor to the fact that genuine buyers are unable to walk into a shop and buy one for the rrp though.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I'm sure the majority of people here wouldn't turn down the chance to make a tidy profit before Xmas - pre-order ten Wii's and make a £150+ profit on each.

And no I've not got one or even sold one, and yes I am annoyed I can't get one.

I have a spare pre-order that I am going to sell on ebay, I don't feel guilty about this and if people are willing to pay over the odds to have one then more fool them. I am not forcing anyone to buy it.

we happily use it in other aspects of our daily lives. do those who have made a profit on their house during the increased demand in certain areas complained? no and rightly so. how about those selling antiques? supply dwindles, demand is high - price is high

We said. I agree with you 100% :smashin: Good luck for anyone buying or selling a wii this time of year.

Just found this for people wanting a wii

http://www.game.co.uk/wii

Supply and demand is fair enough.

What isn't good are the numerous posts on Ebay for component cables with stupidly inflated prices, and they don't even have the stock yet! And you have to read very carefully to note the point that it is a delayed shipment.

Personally I am prepared to pay a little more to have something right NOW that nobody else can supply, but I just can't bring myself to spend THAT much more.

Jonathan

It's the buyers that are mugs but I don't think it's fair that people buy seven or eight and sell them on, that just stops genuine punters getting them.

The really annoying thing is the people that feel the need to boast about doing it.

perhaps I am opening a can of worms here - but isnt all this 'ebay sellers are evil' talk a bit backwards? its supply and demand - we happily use it in other aspects of our daily lives. do those who have made a profit on their house during the increased demand in certain areas complained? no and rightly so. how about those selling antiques? supply dwindles, demand is high - price is high.

why would they complain? they are the seller making huge profits. however i want to buy a house and can only get a mortgage for 60k and house prices start at 120K in my area. so blatant profiteering like buy to let and cutting up houses into student flats is stopping me from buying my own home and having a comfortable steady life with a nice nest egg for when i retire.

many of this sellers proberly camped out for hours, queued up for ages, or pre-ordered and poaid a deposit months ago. That would equate to some worth in my book - absolutely.
why? those who had to camp out to get only one console dont get to make money from it so why should someone whose greedy enough to buy more make a profit from standing in the same line?

For the record - i am not one of them - I'm keeping my Wii, but I am growing increasingly tiresome of all these short sighted and hypocritical posts regarding people doing what every major retail outlet, distrubution company, house seller, antiques dealer etc do each and every day!!

rant over.

hows it hypocritical? i dont do it, infact i despise it so how does it make me one?
like i said you are viewing it from the sellers point of view, now go ask all those who cant afford a house or to keep their house how they feel!

why would they complain? they are the seller making huge profits. however i want to buy a house and can only get a mortgage for 60k and house prices start at 120K in my area. so blatant profiteering like buy to let and cutting up houses into student flats is stopping me from buying my own home and having a comfortable steady life with a nice nest egg for when i retire.

why? those who had to camp out to get only one console dont get to make money from it so why should someone whose greedy enough to buy more make a profit from standing in the same line?

hows it hypocritical? i dont do it, infact i despise it so how does it make me one?
like i said you are viewing it from the sellers point of view, now go ask all those who cant afford a house or to keep their house how they feel!

They dont have to pay the inflated prices, all they have to do is wait a week or two and get it at RRP, a friend of mine was in a que in asda's from 4.30pm until 12pm to get two Wii's, he's keeping one and ebaying the other, fair do to the guy, he got off his arse and got one, instead of those bitter people who moan about not being able to get one, when in fact if they had the sense to pre-order one six months ago, or even pre-ordered two incase they the one fell through they would have one in their hands now, and then sold the spare one to a avforum member at RRP (yeah right :eek: )

OK - house prices. I have moved 120 miles from my home town, just to get affordable housing let alone buy a house! buying a house is something simply not achievable to me, ever, so i know what it is not to be able to buy a house. Its life - I have accdepted it, I suggest you do too! dont mean to be harsh but it is the way of the world. To suggest house proices have risen to current highs primary due to buy to let and student housing is simply untrue, they are a causeal contribution to it, but prices have risen because more people are buying their own homes now than ever

secondly - those queuing can sell or keep? I dont understand your point. why dont they have a right to sell their newly aquirred item at whatever price someone else is willing to pay? if somebody queues and keeps it - fair play to thm - but thats their choice.

I'm not simply 'viewing it from the sellers' point of view at all.

Hypocritical in the sense we all live in a country that is wealthy, largely because this contry has for many years traded, meaning bought and sold well, to in turn have a good economy. I dont want to go into the dynamics of world economy - but our capitalist society and all those that take part in it, be it via buying cheap food from supermarkets or running your own busness - is founded upon supply and demand. FACT.

Hand on heart, if you bought something for £150 but that object went up in value, say double its price and two people wanted it, and turned up at your door one with £150 the other with £300 which would you take? i think i know the answer.
its the same thing,things are worth what people are willing to pay, its the same in retail, they buy something add money sell it on, where ever you go, from tesco's to petrol to shopping clothes, electronics anything.

They dont have to pay the inflated prices, all they have to do is wait a week or two and get it at RRP, a friend of mine was in a que in asda's from 4.30pm until 12pm to get two Wii's, he's keeping one and ebaying the other, fair do to the guy, he got off his arse and got one, instead of those bitter people who moan about not being able to get one, when in fact if they had the sense to pre-order one six months ago, or even pre-ordered two incase they the one fell through they would have one in their hands now, and then sold the spare one to a avforum member at RRP (yeah right :eek: )

tell that to the guys on here who DID pre order and still didnt get their consoles because stores like argos and woolworths gave out too many pre-order places

my friend - whether we tell them that or not is irrelevent to the moral and ethical standing of those selling their consoles.

Those you mentioned - shafted by retailers - have their own issues with those retailers, who in turn may have issues with the distrubters, who in turn nintendo.

In a way, people selling their consoles on eBay offer those DESPERATE enough to pay over the odds a way to purchase a console when the high street stores have failed. you see, those with one console to sell would have their console regardless of whether others were shafted or not.

Unless you are suggesting an elaborate pre-order system is introduced across all retails, where buyers have to take an oath stating they will not be selling on their consoes and will kep them. aside from the obvious ridiculous nature of this, its not fair. you buy, you can sell. you own, you can sell. no-on has to be buy.

have you considered those selling their console may need the cash from it? perhaps they bought a console to keep, saw the ebay prices, and saw a way to clear their credit card debts, or buy a nice new TV or sky HD or something, if so thats their right isnt it?

Did they order from another supplier to make sure they did get one?, did they stand in a que in asda's last friday night for 6 hours as most asda's had stock not pre-orders?
20 units in each branch, i could have got one if id wanted, but i didnt want to stand in a que.
it happens every year, year before last it was the slimeline PS2 than Last year it was the 360, but yet i managed to get one, a 360 and and slimeline PS2 i even had a Wii from play ordered 6 months ago, but cancelled it last month as i didnt know if i wanted one.

This is the basis of capitalism which we live in.

Wii Ebayers have invested in the purchase(money), queued or pre-ordered(work), listing and paypal fees(running cost) may get scammed/price drop(risks). They deserve their profit. Put it plain it is good business.

If a business ebayer pays his/her taxes, hats off to them, they are also contributing to our country/government. These citizens by my eyes should have more respect than bad/dodgy estate agents/lawyers etc.

We cannot be childish and have the best of both worlds, the luxury of capitalism and the fairless of theoretical communism.

Just a point of view from a Wii-less (but pre-ordered and still waiting) person.

Some very good considered point of view in this thread....Then again I am one of these people who had pre-ordered and the supplier didn't follow through...Luckily I was able to get another one on launch day, and now my pre-order has materialised....

I was considering cancelling the pre-order, but then I thought why? To give the people who work in the store (where it would still be delivered) a chance to buy and sell it on? Why not do it myself.

I really do hope that the consoles arrive to those that were still waiting on their pre-orders.....

i sold mine on ebay, as no one would swap for a US one.

listed it at 99p no reserve, so the buyers set the price.

went for £320

imported US one cost me £155

net result - i get a US wii for £15

i'd have been happy with a straight swap, though

Just forgot, the real evil is my missus.

She is trying to make me sell my 2 pre-orders if they do materalise before Xmas.

No Wii either way for Xmas, at my age I should have known Santa is for kids.

Anyway better presents for my family. I will put mine on Ebay, how evil is that.:(

Just forgot, the real evil is my missus.

She is trying to make me sell my 2 pre-orders if they do materalise before Xmas.

No Wii either way for Xmas, at my age I should have known Santa is for kids.

Anyway better presents for my family. I will put mine on Ebay, how evil is that.:(

A friend of mine has got a Swedish au-pair (honestly), costs him £80/week, you could always propose that as an alternative to spend the money on....My guess is that she will let you keep the Wii instead, it is all about letting them think they made the decision....:D

perhaps I am opening a can of worms here - but isnt all this 'ebay sellers are evil' talk a bit backwards? its supply and demand - we happily use it in other aspects of our daily lives. do those who have made a profit on their house during the increased demand in certain areas complained? no and rightly so. how about those selling antiques? supply dwindles, demand is high - price is high

rant over.

FULLY Agree - those that moan view the world through rose-tinted spectacles and think that they are owed something.

It market forces my friends, market forces.

FULLY Agree - those that moan view the world through rose-tinted spectacles and think that they are owed something.

It market forces my friends, market forces.
It's supply and demand. Personally I would never buy off ebay, but to those who don't have the time to stand outside an ASDA at 3:00am for 5 hrs, it provides a service. Those that pre-ordered had the foresight to and if they wish to sell it's up to them. It is all to easy to be judgmental on people selling, many will be students who just wish to earn a bit extra.

Its not only the Wii it gets done on. How many bought the live kits off play for £18 then sold them on. Same goes when woolies sold the 360 drives for £35. Didn't see many on here selling them for what they where going for at the time. Most people knew where they could get them from, best places to preorder etc, when to preorder. I ordered mine from Toys'r'us months after most had ordered from Amazon,Argos etc and didn't get screwed as i trusted that they would perform. The people moaning should be doing it to the retailers or the suppliers They are the ones that screwed em not the ebayers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom