Everyday living room TV with 4K viewing.

Smiler54

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hiya,
Pretty new to the modern TV world. We were given a 50in plasma Pioneer but we're giving it to a family member. We've got used to the size though in the last 2 months we've had it, so now we're looking up upgrade.

• Just purchased a new stand that is pretty wide so leg positioning isn't an issue
  • We'll mainly be watching basic tv, HD channels, F1 sports, Netflix. So nothing high spec is really needed at the moment. But would like it future-proof as possible, Smart TV.
  • Ideally nothing more than around £750, cheaper the better as I would like money left over to buy a decent soundbar.
  • Our viewing distance: 7'5" (220cm)
Originally I was looking at 49" because we got used to the Pioneer but from most guides I've looked at 49" is a little big for that viewing distance with an LED TV.
Seem like 40-45 would be a better fit? What would you recommend at this size?

Original 49"s I was looking at, are there similar/better at a smaller size if that is better for us?
  • LG 49UH850V
  • SAMSUNG UE49KU6470
  • SONY BRAVIA KD49XD8305BU (I was directed to this in Currys after specifying my needs)
Many thanks!

I'm no expert but I think you need about 50" minimum, even at that viewing distance, to notice the difference between HD and 4K, if I had a 50" plasma I'd keep it for now.

Saying that, the LG you mentioned looks good value at the moment, it's on my shortlist.

Thanks guys, @Stiv that's one thing I couldn't quite decide on. Too big and I'll be seeing pixels even with 4k and too small and the 4k will be irrelevant.

@dodge, I actually saw you post that article on another thread during my research. The only issue with this plasma is that another relative was given the TV stand so I would need to fork out for a new stand.
So I'm not sure if it would be worth just putting that money straight to a new tv.
Its a Pioneer PDPSX5080 and its great but its so heavy (35kg) that I'm hesitating with the stand. I had already brought and returned one, it had a fault and it was a huge faff to return.
We have a new tv unit already so it would need to be table top as I don't think the wall we would want it on will support that weight. I wouldn't risk it anyway

Have you seen the tabletop stands on ebay/amazon? Think I've seen them for about £20. They use the VESA mounting holes on the back of the TV (same as for wall mounting).

Thats what I would do and hold fire until the OLEDs are more affordable. Unless you can afford something like the LG 910v for around 1k...if you can still find one!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom