1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everquest on PS2 Christmas morning...

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Dak, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I am getting a wifi link set up to link the PS2 to broadband and the plan is to get the kids Everquest for christmas.

Couple of queries: Is it any good and most importantly will I just be able to set up and go without having to buy anything more? I do not have a keyboard for eg. I just want to get them going and not have to be out trying to uy bits I can buy now.....

Thanks
    Dak

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    How old are the kids?

EQOA is ok but as in all games of this type it is pretty bad on the social life! I am battling with FFXI not trying to put too much time in it (which is coming out later on for PS2 and is light years ahead of EQ).

You will need a keyboard really to get anywhere in the game, it relies a lot on typing, I am slightly biased as I am very jaded on EQ, but in reality it sometimes feels like a glorified chat room.

If you want something nice for the kids you may be better off looking at offline RPG games like FFX etc. Games like EQ really need at least 3 hour play sessions, you cannot log on for 30mins-1 hour to have a quick play (some people end up playing 10 hour marathons reguarly!). Everything revolves around groups and getting places. You need to be able to communicate for groups and also sit around waiting for a good 30mins-1 hour just for all the group members to get together.

Could be worth trying it for a free month, but if you are not keen on your kids getting sucked in, then I wouldn't recommend it. My brother blames EQ solely for his lack of revision during GCSE's and refuses to play another type of the same game!