Everio MS100U help needed

D

Dianna

My husband was just given an Everio for his birthday. We are having issues with uploading and editing the movies taken. When we upload the movies are split into 2 files, the movie and then the auido. They are .MOD files. I can not put them into Windows Movie Maker, I get errors. We really do not want to have to return the camera. We aren't using it for anything fancy, vidoes of our twin babies. Is there a program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is easy for someone who doesn't have a huge technical background, to join the files, convert to something usuable and to edit. I want to be able to upload short films to Flickr, on my blog(blogger) and maybe to YouTube. I don't need to do major editing. Want to be able to cut out parts if needed or join short clips together, maybe add text, music, little things like that. Any help would be appreciated. Getting wicked frustrated!!!

Dianna

A n d r e w

Hi Dianna, and welcome to AVF.

Your frustration is clear from the half-past two time-stamp on your post (assuming you're in the UK)!

I'm not familiar with the MS100 myself, but your posting reminded me of a review I'd read of it somewhere, which suggests installing the Cyberlink software which is supplied with the camcorder, for transferring your clips from camera to PC.

I've cut-and-pasted what the reviewer wrote about this below.

The most notable feature of the MS100 is its one-touch uploading to YouTube on the internet. The provided Cyberlink software should be installed on a Windows XP or Vista PC in order that it can manage the process of transfering clips from the SD card in the camcorder to the computer via the supplied USB cable and onwards to the user's YouTube account. The camcorder's Upload button will automatically launch the PC application and oversee the uploading of the clip (whose size will be limited to YouTube's own 10 minute limit) to the required account following log in.

jvc-everio-gz-ms100-settings.jpg

Another feature that takes advantage of the MS100's USB 2.0 connectivity is the Easy DVD Burning facility. Recorded video clips can be transferred to a PC's DVD drive via USB 2.0 or directly using the supplied Cyberlink software. Alternatively, connect the camera directly to a JVC CU-VD3 Everio Share Station to create DVD copies of your clips (individually or as playlists you've created) direct from the SD/SDHC card in the camera. This uses USB Host Control, and is now a common feature of equivalent products from Canon, Sony and Panasonic, and it's a very useful way of making quick DVD copies without requiring a computer - especially when you're away from base.
. . .

The MS100 has a USB 2.0 socket for undertaking all the stuff described above in addition to transferring digital stills images from the SD card to the outside world. The camera's card will show up as a USB Mass Storage Device or, more simply, as a separate drive image on an Apple Mac's deskop. There's also an AV output connector to which the supplied composite vide and stereo audio cable can be connected in order to view the output on a regular TV or copy to a video recorder. And that's pretty much it.

Hope that helps,
Andrew.

Last edited:

senu

Distinguished Member
Thanks
Suffice to say that MOD files are mpeg2 files
The Everios seem to create the " proper" files and indexing ones
At any rate you should try to use the bundled Cyberlink program by all means but TBH most current software support MOD files for editing
And most current software isnt horribly expensive or techie

A USB card reader can easily take an SD card for transfer to a PC
but Most of these camcorders actually don't need any drivers to be seen within windows as USB mass storage devices

Lastly.. Windows Movie Maker was not designed to be Mpeg2. MOD ect friendly..
You really are asking for those errors by rely on on it . Free it is, capable it may be ( for a free bee but it has a very weak format support) both for input and output
And for the You Tube, you may have less versatility of output formats and settings beyond WMV

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom