1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever wished you never did it?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mickey, Apr 24, 2005.

1. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hi guys, A bit bored today :suicide: so I made the mistake of going round to a couple of shops, comet. martin dawes, curry,s etc just to get a general idea of which plasma to buy 42" already had pioneer 435 or panny viera in mind . but must be hd capable, biggest mistake i could ever had made. every single picture was cr@p no matter the price, the 435xde looked aweful, jagged edges all over, a philips looked like there was a fine mesh over the screen and the panny was not much better. now before all the plasma owner,s get on my back I know you cant judge a screen by there setup, cr@p feed =cr@p picture i know. what I am saying is you do yourself no good at all going to these places. but here lies my dilemma , the only way to get a decent demo of a pasma, lcd ,pj is from a dedicated home cinema dealer who has the capability to demo well setup items with dvi, hdmi,component connections etc as well as a decent sat or freeview feed. but im my experiance in previous demos i have had the staff seem to expect you to buy there and then just because you have had the demo and if you dont they get all uppity allbeit quietly. where in the north pref, manchester can you see well set up screens, or are there any plasma owners in manchester who wouldnt mind demoing theirs to me. cheers Mike

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    You need to say that you want to see a few screens, and then ask the dealer which of these they can demo. If they cant demo them all say that you will view the ones they have with them and view the others elsewhere, and if you decide on their screen you will be back.

Shop keepers who get up the arse dont deserve the business, of course people may use their demo and then buy online cheaper, but as a retailer you have to make the customer want to buy from you if if it costs them a little more. Customer loyality is a funny thing, if you treat a customer like a friend they feel oblidged to give you the business, it is actually far harder to loose a customer than keep one, but so many reatilers manage to fudge it up it is untrue.

3. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,611
    Come to comet in SWINDON, we gave a fairly decent set up, we got 6 £2k plasma's running with DVDs. And if your buying we are more than willing to show u more with dvds etc..
    Please remember we get a low wage and we make money by selling so dont waist time. hehe thanks

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SWINDON really close to Manchester.................HiFi bitz are based near Manchester and have a Shop, Romers??? Also Piers at HCE (www.homecinemaengineering.com) has an excellent set-up and is not a million miles away, (just down the M6) why not drop him an email and see if he can reconmend anywhere to demo...

5. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,611
    Hey gotta get some advertisement dude. And people need to know that some of us who work for the big companies do know some stuff!

6. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Dont Get Me Started With Comet In Swindon. I Will Never Buy From Them Again!

7. Image Retention

Image Retention

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I worked at comet in Swindon. For one day!

8. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,611
    yeah whats ur name?

9. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    oh yeah 'the dude' if you work for comet in swindon can you give a message to your manager simon that i spoke to your head office about getting my £137 back for the extended warrenty and they said that your people should have refunded the money there and then. I will be back monday!

10. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265

Thedude , dont get me wrong what i said was nothing to do with the staff, but even michaelangelo couldnt do a decent picture if all he had was a 6inch b&q paste brush. :eek:

thanks for all the replies but I dont think I made my point well enough , lets say i go to some demo somewhere and some nice guy spends 30 mins to an hour or however long trying to give me the best demo they can. I would be feel terrible for not purchasing the item there and then which is against my better judgement to do anytime, "never jump in".To be honest I cant remember the last time I purchased An item of av gear the first time i saw or heard It. where if the likes of comet, etc used decent connections I could just go in and look at them and at the least get an idea and then go away guilt free .So if for instance i have a list of 4 plasmas , demo guy 1 had plasma 1 and 2 i was interested in and demo guy 2 had plasma 3 and 4 i was interested in , i have a demo at the first showroom then i have a demo at the second showroom plasma two from demo one wins , then thats works out that nice demoguy 2 wasted his time and effort on me which as I said would make me feel really guilty.cheers Mike

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dont feel guilty, the ability of the dealer to supply the product you want is what its all about, but also ask their advice ........you may find yourself looking at something totally different......

12. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mickey, totally understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately a reading of many threads on this topic will show you that there's no such thing as a large store reliably showing a multitude of well set-up screens. Your conscience is going to have to fight it out with your pocket.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    actaully there is...............its just no where near manchester...Have you tried JL in the Cheshire area? (not the new one) as a certain one has its AV department headed by a forum member.............................

14. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265

dont be coy hornydragon which jl, cheshires not far :smashin:

P:S is there a new cheshire? :D

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Cheadle i think.........