Ever thought about writing a short story?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gibbsy, Feb 25, 2014.

1. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    Being retired I've got a lot of time on my hands and my health doesn't allow me to spend too much time away from the house. So at times you sit there and think about doing something different. Now I love social history and studied the industrial revolution and the coal industry and find it fascinating. My thoughts have turned to perhaps writing a short story about a local mining disaster where two brothers, aged 10 and 11 and their 32 year old father died. I've got all the documents and my missus has planted this seed in my head.

Would you consider it?

2. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,390
    Definitely - what's to lose.
    I'm sure it could be a pleasurable experience planning the construction and bringing characters to life.
    Even if it turns out less than expected I'm sure you'll get a lot out of the experience :thumbsup:

3. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Go for it gibbsy, I've enjoyed reading your posts about your local history.

4. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,199
    Sounds like a great idea. We may have the next Alexander Cordell among us :thumbsup:

5. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687
    Gibbsy, now you have put it out there I would be very disappointed if you don't do it, having the same background I know you will have the determination and drive and be very thorough. Go for it mate and send us all a copy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    I have thought about writing a few stories as i have a few ideas, some might work and some might not, or all might not. My problem is just getting time to dedicate to putting pen to paper so to speak.
    If i was retired or otherwise it is certainly something i would do so i would say if you have the time and the idea then yeah go for it.

7. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,211
    Nah, don't bother, you're too old and it might end up unfinished.

(just joking)

8. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    gibbsy, please re-read your post that I've highlighted up for you (concentrate your eyes on the hightlighted words in particular). Now post for us a simple counter-argument for not writing this story! I bet you would find it extremely hard to do so.

Your post shows (to me anyway) that you have started to write this story already - you've quite clearly got a huge amount of passion for the subject, you have the time, your wife is being supportive, you've even started to loosely form characters and situations in which to place them. I think you'd be doing yourself and others who may be interested in your story an injustice by not writing it!
    If your wife has planted the seed, I think you just need the follow-up now. That would be the kick up the arse!

Good luck - I look forward to reading it in the future.

P.s - I fixed the word 'perhaps' for you too :)

9. taz1941

taz1941

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Write it, review it, get someone else to read it and send it in to a short story competition. You have the motive, the means and time. But overall, write the story for your own pleasure.

10. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    I've been doing a big more research. Funny what you find out. My characters will have a pass another colliery on the way to their place of work. This was the Lletty Shenkin Colliery were three years ealier 53 men and boys were killed in an explosion. One of those killed was the great grandfather of Desmond Llewelyn who played Q along side the very best James Bond (Sean Connery).

11. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Yes, I have written a few an also a have a few novels that are being proof read and edited at the moment. I’ve had a few things published in magazines and have a short story that is getting some really good reviews from other authors. Do it.
    I find that if I don't write it starts to take over my mind. You know that feeling you get when you have either forgotten to do something important or you just can’t settle? That’s what I feel like if I don’t write. Putting the characters and their story onto paper or digital format is a way of release for me and very cathartic. If you would like some links to useful websites please send me a PM and I will be happy to help.

12. Courtjezter

Courtjezter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,646
    I have thought about it, along with a screenplay, it is something i have always wanted to do. I have a penciled outline of a novel i want to write and have the prologue already sorted in my head, which will probably form a very short story setting out the world in which the story belongs. I have also got the setup for the first chapter already in my head, now i just need the time to get it onto paper.

With this in mind, do it. It is always better for you to attempt it than let yourself be talked out of it, unless you want to take up balancing on the edge of cliffs with one leg hanging over into the void. That is probably not worth attempting.

13. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,216
    Yes. The End.