1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever had a Marantz CD-94 repaired

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by clived, Jul 19, 2003.

1. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just taken mine out of storage (well, wrapped in bubble wrap under the bed in the spare room...!) where it has been sat for over a year.

It all fires up ok, but when I close the tray, the display pops up error and the tray opens again (<sigh> I'd forgotted how silky smooth that die cast tray movement was...).

There is a bit of a motorised whiring sound between the draw closing and the error message / re-opening, like a motor is doing its thing, but nothing is happening - makes me think perished drive belt of some sort maybe? I've never opened this machine in oiver 15 years of ownership, but might take a quick peak inside for anything obviously broken. However, in case it isn't simple, does anyone know of a top class Marantz repair shop?

Many thanks, Clive

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly the grease drying out? (some 63SE had this problem)

Try checking that the runner rods have a thin coating of grease.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my 63ki did something a bit like this, combination of greasing and dead laser (well dying laser)

ad

4. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Guys, thanks so far... :smashin:

I've popped the lid off. It transpires that it is purely a mechanical problem (or two problems):

1) The drawer doesn't slide in and out as smoothly as it shoud - at the end of its outward travel it slows a little and needs a little push of encouragement to go back in now and again

2) There is a driven plastic wheel that rotates when the draw is shut to lower the clamping mechanism and operates two microswitches on it's rotation. This wheel is getting stuck half way thorugh it's travel - again, a little help from me gets it going again - once it completes its travel the disc spins up fine :cool:

Now I know the laser / electrics are fine I think I'd like to get it serviced anyway - properly greased, cleaned etc. so if anyone has anywhere they trust with their own stuff. please let me know.

Thanks, Clive

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just a local hifi dealer would do the trick, im sure this is a fairly standard kind of repair

Ad

6. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    But Ad, this is my baby :) I hear what you're saying, but if anyone has any experience of servicers from whom they've had great service or the Marantz authorised repair centres, please shout!

Cheers, Clive

7. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    To close my own loop, just incase anyone ever does a search.

Got my CD94 back from a company in Bedfordshire called Thear Technology Limited - they are long standing authorised Revox repair centre and more recently Sony Pro repair centre.

They repaired both a Revox B225 (18 year old CD player) belonging to my dad and my CD94 (16 year old CD player) no problem at all and in a very professional manner.

Clive

8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,858
    What was the cost for the CD94 & what did they do?

9. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It was ~£200.

It went to them in a non-functioning state - the electronics seemed fine, but there was a mechanical problem.

They diagnosed, sourced the parts and obviously carried out the repair. They then ran a few tests on the machine, the results of which they provided.

VERY professional service - as I said these guys are Revox and Sony Pro service experts - the stuff we were having repaired was right at the bottom of their spectrum!

Very friendly helpful and knowledgeable too.

In short, probably not the cheapest place to get all your repairs done, but if you have some much-loved mid to high end kit that needs some TLC, recommended.