Ever bought a special edition and regretted it?

brumhee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the special edition Arkham Asylum and very much don't regret buying it. I picked it up for about £50 not long after it came out and the batarang (although some will disagree) looks cool sat next to the monitor.

I did also order the special edition MW2 with the Night Vision Goggles. I cancelled the order before dispatch and am quite glad I did. I could see myself today regretting paying that much for a computer game (not just because of the quality of the game but also just the expense).

This made me think, has anyone else bought or got close to buying a special edition and thinking "OH DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

I bought the special edition Fable disc and that came with nothing other than a slightly different case.

I bought the metal funny shaped tin version of Viva Pinata and have never even opened it, has been sat on my shelf for months and months... don't know what possessed me, heard it was good but not really my type of game... glad it was cheap in a tesco sale really.

I bought the metal funny shaped tin version of Viva Pinata and have never even opened it, has been sat on my shelf for months and months... don't know what possessed me, heard it was good but not really my type of game... glad it was cheap in a tesco sale really.
I had that one - it was a pain to open and contained nothing not in the normal game from what I recall (though I think I paid the same). I thought it was a great game if a bit repetative after a while.

I nearly ordered Bioshock with the Big Daddy figurine and then thought, actually why do I want this? I don't mind if the special edition adds something to the experience. I thought the Mass Effect one was a good example with an extra disc with info, trailers and desktop themes from what I recall. Special editions are getting a bit like an arms race these days to see who can cram theirs full of the most tat!

I've done it a few times, totally daft when all you get is a few crappy art cards and a dvd with interviews that can be had on gaming sites for free.

Only worth it when you get decent DLC thrown in if you ask me.

The only special edition edition that I have ever bought was the Halo Wars one for £50, which was a complete waste of money. I only bought it because of the Mythic maps. I took it to GAME recently and got £15 for it :mad:.

I paid £58 for special ed of GTA IV when it came out, which came with a safety deposit box and some other things I don't recall.
Still pains me to think I spent that much on it, made worse by the fact that I sold it (at a significant loss) before even finishing it.

The last one I bought was Hitman: Blood Money, which came in the metal case, and had absolutely nothing else.

I'd have bought Assassin's Creed II Black Edition, or the Bioshock 2 special edition if I'd robbed a bank...

I picked up the Halo:Wars speical pack on Monday at a price of £12 - new unopened.

The special was a hardback comic and soem posters...would have been a bit cheesed off it if had been the full RRP special price..

Back in the day, I bought the special edition of Halo 2 which had a rather easy-to-watch 45 minute documentary on making the game which I found really interesting.

I don't tend to buy special editions because I still get the same game disc at the end of the day, which I'll spend more time with than anything else included.

The other thing with all the extra bits which come with the special editions (MW2 Veteran Edition for example, or the Halo 3 one), you've got to find somewhere to store all this stuff.

I bought the special edition of GTA IV because on release day it was all that was available. Think it cost £60 or £70 and as well as the game got a music cd, art book, key ring and a rather lovely metal lockable box for all my ill gotten gains. Still have the box and key ring, played the game for two days and then flogged it. Thought it was sh*te lol.

My worst was Kane and Lynch. The art cards were ok but it was mainly the poor, poor game that made me regret it!

I think the Fallout 3 lunchbox was worth it as the bobblehead rocks! :thumbsup:

But the best one has to be the Two Worlds edition. I can't remember exactly what was in it but there were cards, t-shirt, extra disc and a few other bits. Loved the game and the edition!

Don't think I ever bought a special edition and think it was worth the premium.

Just the bog standard version for me from now on.

I would only buy a special edition if it came with significant extra in-game content. I tend to buy my games as cheaply as possible, after I realised I only ever see the packaging when putting the disc in the console! Who cares if it's second hand and the box is tatty?

My worst was Kane and Lynch. The art cards were ok but it was mainly the poor, poor game that made me regret it!

But the best one has to be the Two Worlds edition. I can't remember exactly what was in it but there were cards, t-shirt, extra disc and a few other bits. Loved the game and the edition!

woot are you crazy :eek:, Kane & Lynch was a fantastic game , guess you won't be buying the sequel in May then :thumbsdow

I bought a tatty Batman AA special with a carboard cover and a free poster from HMV as it was same price as normal. When i got home and opened it - no poster!

Agree Kayne and Lynch was a bad game - good idea though. I really wish i'd got the Fallout 3 Special Ed, i really love that game and the bobbleheads are quite a lot on ebay now - collectibles just like in the game!

Thats the only special editon i regret not buying, i regularly find myself on ebay/amazon looking to see how much the bobble heads are :blush:

woot are you crazy :eek:, Kane & Lynch was a fantastic game , guess you won't be buying the sequel in May then :thumbsdow

If everyone had the same opinions, life would be very boring! :thumbsup:

The game actually got me so low that i was considering selling my 360! :eek: Mainly for two reasons. the first, you can ironsight behind cover????? And the second was the MP. I played about 3 MP games, got to the very end with mucho cash and was killed every time by someone else who stole the lot. MW2 MP gives me the rage sometimes, but K&L? League of it's own.....

I bought a tatty Batman AA special with a carboard cover and a free poster from HMV as it was same price as normal. When i got home and opened it - no poster!

Agree Kayne and Lynch was a bad game - good idea though. I really wish i'd got the Fallout 3 Special Ed, i really love that game and the bobbleheads are quite a lot on ebay now - collectibles just like in the game!

Great game, great Spec Ed. Tin lunchbox case (in game) and bobblehead (also in game)? Absolute genius on bethesda's part!

Thats the only special editon i regret not buying, i regularly find myself on ebay/amazon looking to see how much the bobble heads are :blush:

I bought it on release for about £40. I then traded the game itself in and kept the edition stuff. Gamestation sold the Spec Ed for £25 not long after, so bought it again and sold my original spec ed stuff for £15. I would never sell it now.

EDIT: As much as £25 on ebay for the bobblehead?????????? Still wouldn't sell it!

I always go for the special edition if available, dont know why but I just love them :D

Out of the 20+ that I have the only one I regret buying is the Halo 3 Helmet and that is simply due to the amount of room it takes up, wish I had stuck with the Halo 3 Metal Tin version.

Looking forward to the Mass Effect 2 CE, Bioshock 2 LE and Aliens vs Predator Hunter Edition which are all due within the next month :smashin:

Last edited:
If everyone had the same opinions, life would be very boring! :thumbsup:

The game actually got me so low that i was considering selling my 360! :eek: Mainly for two reasons. the first, you can ironsight behind cover????? And the second was the MP. I played about 3 MP games, got to the very end with mucho cash and was killed every time by someone else who stole the lot. MW2 MP gives me the rage sometimes, but K&L? League of it's own.....

Erm that was the idea of the game , hence the multiplyer being called Fragile Allience , you never knew who was going to double cross you :rotfl:

Hot coffee was the best map , used to let everyone kill the security at the beginning , then i would turn traitor on everyone, you have to time it right though to pull it off :smashin:

Erm that was the idea of the game , hence the multiplyer being called Fragile Allience , you never knew who was going to double cross you :rotfl:

Hot coffee was the best map , used to let everyone kill the security at the beginning , then i would turn traitor on everyone, you have to time it right though to pull it off :smashin:

That's exactly why i hated it. There was no teamwork involved and you knew exactly who was going to double cross you, everyone! Got bored of getting the cash and making a run for it only for it to turn into a FFA, with the highest rank usually winning.

That game depressed me.

I always go for the special edition if available, dont know why but I just love them :D

Out of the 20+ that I have the only one I regret buying is the Halo 3 Helmet and that is simply due to the amount of room it takes up, wish I had stuck with the Halo 3 Metal Tin version.

Looking forward to the Mass Effect 2 CE, Bioshock 2 LE and Aliens vs Predator Hunter Edition which are all due within the next month :smashin:

They're quickly followed by the Final Fantasy XIII CE, and there's a Dante's Inferno Death Edition (Game), or the normal one with a freebie figure from Gamestation. :thumbsup:

Slightly regret paying an extra seven quid for the Forza 3 limited edition. (They were both on offer.) I thought the extra cars code was only in the limited edition! The USB key and keyring are cool but I don't know if they warrant the price difference...

Hi,

Since buying my XBox 360 in November, I have bought mainly special editions, but am careful about paying more than a certain amount for them.

So far, I've bought:

- COD:MW2 (Hardened Edition) as that was my very first XBox game. :clap:
- Assassins Creed 2: White Edition (the one with the figurine in it)
- Forza 3 (with the keyring, USB stick, and other bits, new, and for less than £26 in local GAME store :smashin: )

I have also pre-ordered the "Aliens Vs Predator: Hunter Edition" from HMV for £59-99, and "Dante's Inferno: Death Edition" from Game.

Like DVD's, special edition's are ultimate a personal choice. Some people love them, some don't. However, I think they do make a nice change to the bland ordinary green XBox cases. :)

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom