Ever Been To A Gig Just To See The Support Act??

soundstory

Hi all,

Another post made me think of this, have you ever been to a gig to see the support act & actually left before the main act came on??

I can think of two:

Went to Knebworth in 2003 (?) to see Moby support Robbie Williams & high-tailed it out of there on my motorbike before he came on.

& I'll do it again on March 6th to see Ladyhawke support the Ting Tings, again I'm hoping to be back on the Victoria Line way before Katie White starts cattawalling (that's if I can get the girlfriend out of there!).

ndenbow

Yep. Went to see The View support Primal Scream in 2007 at Cambridge Corn Exchange. Sadly I did stay to watch Primal Scream as well, who were SHOCKINGLY BAD live. Awful sound and they can't play! Bobbie is a good front man though even if he is off his **** most of the time.

edit: BTW I didn't actually stay until the end.

Looking forward to The View's new stuff.

Last edited:

signs

Banned
Soul asylum ,supporting the lemonheads ,Rockcity Nottingham .Gave Evan four songs then went to the Bar

oliscott

Yeah done it more then enough times seeing the Pigeon Detectives. Another that springs to mind is Having Twang tickets and only staying for Look See Proof and Little Man Tate.

Artie Fufkin

Went to see AC~DC as Dokken were support
Interesting.

Although I've never been to gig just for the support, I saw Accept at the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1989 or so and Dokken were the support then. It was almost a case of me uttering the annoying phrase "The support band blew them away."

soundstory

Yep. Went to see The View support Primal Scream in 2007 at Cambridge Corn Exchange. Sadly I did stay to watch Primal Scream as well, who were SHOCKINGLY BAD live. Awful sound and they can't play! Bobbie is a good front man though even if he is off his **** most of the time.

edit: BTW I didn't actually stay until the end.

Looking forward to The View's new stuff.
I had a similar Primal Scream moent at Glastonbury 2005.

He was off his face and rambling & spent the whole of the set slagging the crowd off (doesn't like playing festivals apparently!)

When they over-ran, he refused to leave the stage without his jacket, by this point the crowd were just wetting themselves.

A shame they were a band that I'd always wanted to see live (like many in the crowd).

If you can find it floating around, it was shown live & is a hoot from start to finish !

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I went to see Motley Crue because Skid Row and White Lion were supporting, fortunately, all 3 bands put on a good show, I wasn't really a fan of Crue at the time.

The problem with support acts is they get the rough end of the wedge when it comes to sound quality, so it's always a gamble paying full ticket price for a band who'll only play 40 minutes and could have a dreadful sound.

Craigy

Distinguished Member
Had an opposite effect, booked to see BRMC and supporting them was The Brian Jonestown Massacre who I never heard of, about three songs in I looked drunkingly at my mate and declared "These are amazing", that night I got home and bought all 3 albums I could find on play.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Yes many years ago I went to see some mates from school who were supporting Duran Duran at Rock City. Didn't bother staying around for the main act though.

did a whole tour of skunk ananse just to see muse all the tour when they first came out(mad bugger)

remember seing muse one tour and there support was coldplay. what happend to them?

probedb

Banned
Went to see Russian Circles at Rock City who were supporting These Arms Are Snakes....stayed for one of their songs and left. Also did that at Leeds many years ago when Stereophonics were headlining....we left after Placebo.

Went to see Russian Circles at Rock City who were supporting These Arms Are Snakes....stayed for one of their songs and left. Also did that at Leeds many years ago when Stereophonics were headlining....we left after Placebo.
I was at reading that year and still cant believe that stereophonics headlined over rage against the machine.

mart1977

Novice Member
I went to see Motley Crue because Skid Row and White Lion were supporting, fortunately, all 3 bands put on a good show, I wasn't really a fan of Crue at the time.

The problem with support acts is they get the rough end of the wedge when it comes to sound quality, so it's always a gamble paying full ticket price for a band who'll only play 40 minutes and could have a dreadful sound.

I went to this concert some years ago i think. Was it at the NEC? Its possible it was my first. My dad was a fan of Skid Row and Motley Crue and i went along with him. Was it late 80's? im guessing i was around 11 and i'm 31 now.

If it was the same concert you wouldnt know the date would you?

Ickle Yoda1

Went to see the prodigy who were supported by a little known american band known as The Foo Fighters! lol.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I went to this concert some years ago i think. Was it at the NEC? Its possible it was my first. My dad was a fan of Skid Row and Motley Crue and i went along with him. Was it late 80's? im guessing i was around 11 and i'm 31 now.

If it was the same concert you wouldnt know the date would you?
Yes, it was the NEC Brum, so it sounds like the same gig, I think it was 1989 and after a bit of scooby dooing ont'web, it was quite possibly 4th November '89

W0LFIE

Went to March Violets gig to see support... Mighty Lemon Drops
Went to Killing Joke gig to see... Red Lorry Yellow Lorry (although KJ were awesome too!). This was all back in the 80's (livin in the 80's!!).
It wasn't all Spandex Ballet and Ultravox you know:nono:

mossym

Distinguished Member
went to dido as travis were the support, it was while living in the US so chances to see travis were limited...did stay for dido but didn't care less about that..

W0LFIE

went to dido as travis were the support, it was while living in the US so chances to see travis were limited...did stay for dido but didn't care less about that..
Dido supported by Travis!...:eek:

...and you didn't top yourself:eek:

Mossy - you were already at the seabed of my estimations, now I realise there are tunnels under the seabed:devil:;)
:D

mossym

Distinguished Member
now now...i still think travis are okay...dido i can't listen to, but lying in the california sun drinking beer listening to travis was okay..

mossym

Distinguished Member
and the gig was here...best place i have ever been for a concert, the tent looking roof is permanent..i saw dave matthews band, coldplay, r.e.m., neil young, moby, and a ton others here and it really is a great place for a concert..

HOTLINKED IMAGE REMOVED BY MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature