Ever been on a tv gameshow?

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, in my quest to find new ways of making money I am giving a bit of (tongue in cheek) thought to applying for a few gameshows (million pound drop when it re opens, pointless, DOND, Millionaire etc) and just see what happens.

Anyone on here ever taken part in a tv gameshow and won anything?

Catchphrase is making a comeback, so that is on the "to do" list as well

I'd love to be on Deal or No Deal although all the ''come on Ray, you can do it, we're all rooting for you, think positive" nonsense, just isn't me.

I tried to get onto WWTBAM a few times, then got bored and gave up.
It's the only one that interests me because it combines an element of skill with decent reward.
Deal or no deal does my head in, the only skill required is the ability to read and say numbers.
My wife watches it on a Sunday, and every time she does a little bit of my love for her dies.

I would be 100% up for an appearance on Total Wipeout!
I reckon I'd at least be in with a shout of doing well, and if not then it's a free trip to Brazil and looks like fun.

i was in the audience for DOND a few years ago (filmed in Bristol) - was the hottest day of the year as well (well, felt like it in the studio) - a lot smaller than it looks on tv. i got to sit in the chair as well and have a pretend game, so i am always a little fond of DOND, but i agree, there is no skill and it is all pot luck

the cube looks like good fun, but i know i would bottle it at around the ÂŁ20k mark if i even got there

a guy i went to school with was on that cilla black show years ago where they had to learn something in a week and do it on the live show. they won a holiday, gadgets, heaps of stuff. He was a bit chavvy. I think these game show contestants are just desperate

I did an interview for The Cube many years ago and never got on, but what peed me off was this rather large lady who showed up late and was very loud and obnoxious did get on, I watched that first episode and then never watched it again......not that I am bitter :laugh:

A former teacher of mine went on WWTBAM and won the million pound jackpot! He was know at school as a supreme quizzer and we always used to ask him why he didn't apply. He had previously won the Brain of Britain, the grand final of Mastermind and some other quiz's.

I've seen him on stuff since but I think his speed of recall is catching up with him, I guess WWTBAM is better suited to older people. I also saw him trying to become the new ‘Egg Head' but he didn't make that.

I saw him once on WWTBAM and he failed in the fastest finger so he went away an devised a way to practice, worked out the odds of getting through on the premium rate number and put the money aside, he approached the whole thing really scientifically, he was a physics teacher as it happens.

When he got on he just breezed through most of the questions and actually used all his life lines on one question relatively early. It was quite amazing to what someone you know winning on there.

Cynical me thinks that contestents are filtered, not just to sift the uninteresting ones, but to remove those intelligent ones that might walk off with the money.

Perhaps not for the big name games, but might explain why some of the contestants on daytime game shows are so stupid.

Cheers,

Nigel

I guess because they are the idiots who sit at home all day watching rubbish. The big ones I'd be interested in for the money but in terms of enjoyment give me University Challenge any day.

Someone I know, both him and his wife have both been on The Weakest Link.

A neighbour whose mad wife used to run an OAP care home across the road from me was on Criss Cross Quiz, he got every single question wrong. I think that was a record.

Not a game show as such, but my niece went on Countdown last year and won a couple of times.

Not a game show as such, but my niece went on Countdown last year and won a couple of times.

Nice one! I'm not so good at the words but pretty sharp on the numbers. A rather 'old school' Latin teacher went in that too, even The late Richard referred to him as a 'rather Churchillian character'.

nheather said:
Cynical me thinks that contestents are filtered, not just to sift the uninteresting ones, but to remove those intelligent ones that might walk off with the money.

Perhaps not for the big name games, but might explain why some of the contestants on daytime game shows are so stupid.

Cheers,

Nigel

The million pound drop almost certainly is

There is also a classic Justin Timberlake question where the couple lost the million by simply not listening to the question properly

Was that in the days if Dominic Diamond? Were you competing or asking the Games Master advice?
Been on doing two challenges first was when it was Dexter Fletcher in the Island Prison playing Busby the Bobcat and Jungle Strike and then when Dominic Diamond came back and it was set in Hell playing Way of the Warrior on the 3DO (remember that?!)

I was also on Games World on Sky One playing Pilotwings in the studio but from my house using the buttons on my telephone in a "World first" :laugh:

Then I was invited to the Gamesmaster Live exhibition to play in the live Streetfighter 2 challenge which I won :)

Happy days :thumbsup:

my personal trainer got onto deal or no deal and walked away with ÂŁ8000 was enough for him to finally get upto the amount needed for his deposit on a house, plus he said they put you up in a hotel for the week and its free bar/food

Was that in the days if Dominic Diamond? Were you competing or asking the Games Master advice?
It's the BBC show with Ann Robinson. She got as far as the bit immediately before the penalty shoot out bit at the end. She was too clever and tactically voted off by the remaining two.

In the dim and distant past SpiderManAlf, if he is still about, was on 60 minute Make Over. There is thread somewhere

I'd love to be on either Catchphrase or The Chase, I think I could stand my own on those shows. Maybe it might be good if you tried The Chase. With a decent team, you could win quite a bit of money.

Blimey John, you have a good memory! Yes I was, I still get repeated on Sky LivingIt!

But you don't get any money, just a shoddy job done on your house and some free furniture.

Blimey John, you have a good memory! Yes I was, I still get repeated on Sky LivingIt!

Good ?!? , they didn't take any interest in your AV hobby , ignoring the towers of DVDs you had , but at least you got to squeeze Claire Sweeney's boobs, almost :thumbsup:

I have not been back to the thread, promise , how accurate is my recollection ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom