Ever been on a tv game show?

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever been on a tv quiz/game show?
I’m asking because about 2 weeks ago, after watching an episode of Tipping Point, I decided I could win that show given a chance and then went onto the website and completed an application to be a contestant. Last week I got a phone call from them and had an informal phone audition where I had to talk about myself a bit and answer about 10 general knowledge questions. At the end of the call I was asked to attend a proper audition.
I attended the audition today along with 19 other people but there 3 more audition sessions over the course of the day so 80 people in Glasgow alone were auditioned today and I assume they hold auditions all over the uk so probably see 100’s of people. I think I got on ok but with so many people going for the same thing I won’t hold my breath.
Has anybody else been through this process?

My lad did the same audition a few weeks ago for Tipping Point but in Oxford (I think). He was told it's thousands they see and will let him know around May time. He's been avidly watching it since and let's just say it will be interesting if he gets on

Spidermanalf was the subject of 60minute makeover more years ago than I care to remember. He's not been seen since 2014

A mate of mine has been a contestant on both Tipping Point and The Chase. He didn’t get through to the final game of Tipping Point and got beat in the final chase when Paul Sinah beat them by 2 seconds.

I had an interview for in it to win it but didn’t get through. My wife has been on both F word and Come Dine With Me.

Ah, Steve, "Come Dine With Me" - apart from being really badly filmed and edited, is it all staged so that the contestants create "tension" with each other?

I mean, they all say such horrible things about each other behind their backs and behave so badly in someone else's home that it's difficult to believe any of it is "real".

The best thing about the programme is undoubtedly the sarky voiceover. Did your wife know about the format before she went on and did she mind being represented so negatively? And did she win?!

Spidermanalf was the subject of 60minute makeover more years ago than I care to remember. He's not been seen since 2014
Ahhh I remember that! He's not been seen since as hrs still trying to repair and make good the make over.. They proper fudgeed his house up!

One of my Cousins was on Fun House years ago. She didn't get to the final Fun House game though.

I was on Crackerjack as a child and also appeared in a TV ad for Weetabix.

Last edited:
A work colleague was on The Chase a few years ago. I often think I wouldn't do too bad on such shows, but he says it's an entirely different matter when you're in front of the lights, cameras and the pressure is on with the Beast looking down on you!

Me and the other half were on a live broadcast on Sky1 hosted by Noel Edmonds around 9 years ago. If you looked closely we were in one of the back rows slightly to the left in the audience.

Ah, Steve, "Come Dine With Me" - apart from being really badly filmed and edited, is it all staged so that the contestants create "tension" with each other?

I mean, they all say such horrible things about each other behind their backs and behave so badly in someone else's home that it's difficult to believe any of it is "real".

The best thing about the programme is undoubtedly the sarky voiceover. Did your wife know about the format before she went on and did she mind being represented so negatively? And did she win?!
Yes it is all staged, they tell you to ask certain questions. I think the producers liked my wife and didn’t make her look too bad to be honest. There was a really thick woman and a misogynistic man who they concentrated on. My wife and the misogynist had a small heated discussion about him using a male only working men’s club whilst interviewing the other woman. (They only had one camera crew) so they came running in and said can you do that again?? Long days too. My wife was first and they started filming at 8am and didn’t leave till 1am. Yes she knew about the format before hand as we watched it religiously every time it was on. Haven’t watched it since though.

I've no interest in going on one but I have thought about the process. A few things that have always pondered

1) do they pick people based on there personality, interests and communication skills - I suspect so, because you often see some very likable, bubbly people who are absolutely thick

2) do you get rejected if they think you are too clever - for example in your audition will they reject you if you get all 10 questions right

3) are the 'random' questions and categories tailored based on the interests you have declared. For example I'm really interested in military history and whenever I see those questions on pointless, eggheads, who wants to be a millionaire I find them very easy. I suspect that if I were on the show, totally by 'random' there would be no military history questions.

Cheers,

Nigel

yes, the only time we watch this is when we're away of a Saturday night and put the tv on in the room... it's an interesting show, but so bitchy and whiny...but then I guess it wouldn't be the same if everyone was nice..

I was on Crackerjack as a child and also appeared in a TV ad fo Weetabix.

as a kid I recall I was on Tiswas, but after a recent facebook post (from my local school) - turns out it was Saturday shakeup!

C4's Shipwreck - the original show.

I applied when i was at Uni. Sent my application letter in a coconut.
That got me noticed.
Then had to do a short video, so did it on Blackpool beach "shipwrecked" - even went in the freezing water, threw myself down a sand dune etc.
That got me noticed too.
Went to London, did some team building games, talk about yourself in a big group, had small group discussions; i remember it being about killing the pig on the show and would you cheat on your partner if you were on the island.
That's when i realised it wasn't for me - big room full of big egos personalities.. Classic small fish/ big pond.
That's a far as i got. The next stage was a weekend away, more team building and a interview with Andy Peters! They did feature my video on the show though - when i launched myself over a sand dune. :)

No, but Supertramp did Crime of the Century. :rotfl:

??

download.jpg

I don't think I'd ever appreciated the process of getting on one of these shows.
I just imagined you apply, your name goes in a hat and if you are lucky it gets pulled out. But in reality it seems like a very long drawn out process with very little chance of success.

I bet they do pick people based on the correct level of intelligence (whether that be stupid, average, genius etc). Deal or No Deal always ensured everyone on it had a sob story, so they must have tailored that.

A work colleague/friend should have won the 'Survivor' show in 2001 - but was voted off because he represented the biggest threat to others! :/

He stood on a log for 23 hours straight. A shame he didn't win, as he was going to use his winnings to clear the pilots of the Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash - which have since been cleared anyway.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | TV and Radio | Survivor tough guy voted out

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | TV and Radio | Survivor vows to 'clear friend's name'

He's a Jumbo skipper now, and lives up your way @SteveCritten

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom