1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Event II: CRT vs. Immersive DLP?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cj, Nov 10, 2003.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    As I couldn't attend due to a last minute change of plans, could someone who went perhaps post a detailed comparison between the CRT and Immersive DLP? Noise levels? Throw distance? etc.

I currently have a BD808S but am getting rather frustrated with it at the moment (I think my green tube has gone). It had to happen the week I have 10 people around to watch sport :(

I'm just trying to remember why I went to all the trouble of having a CRT bolted to my ceiling...

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sounds like this tube is getting desperate. I did see the two working together but I'm not the best to coment (too biased):)

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to get to you last week I was trying to get some stuff together for the event and get all the normal life things sorted too.

You had the CRT installed because it was and still is the best technology for image quality.

In the mean time try to watch a sport without a green background.

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Ice Hockey perhaps? :D
    Paul

4. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    That's a little tricky watching Rugby and Footy without any green. Even worse is my 1 year is getting rather confused during the Teletubbies: LaLa is now orange and Dipsy is a nice shade of grey :)

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    I have to say that the crts I saw at the event, while being good, IMHO they weren't the leap in image quality I was expecting from my lowly DLP.

Close up they still have the best images available, but from a normal seating position of around 2x screen width, there's less to distinguish them from a half decent DLP in my opinion.

Black level is a little better, but not the 'wow' I was expecting. Image smoothness is better close up, but marginal from what I'm used to with my HT1000 from 1.85 seating distance.

Guy Kuo of Ovation and Avia fame has an HT1000 which he bought for normal tv so that he could save the tubes of his CRT which he only uses for movies. He has tweaked the HT1000 to 95% of his CRT, and some people actualy think it looks better.

All displays have their pros and cons, but don't limit yourself to CRT. In practice, a correctly set up (newer model) DLP isn't far behind in quality now, but has it's own advantages.

There are better DLPs than the NEC, the new Sim2s being some of them, so if you can, try to get some demos and hope that you don't suffer from Rainbows. ;)

If you don't mind a trip down to my neck of the woods, you're more than welcome to see my my set-up so you can decide for yourself.

What is your source, and what size screen are you using?

Gary.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Apart from the ****8 I don't think much dark stuff if any was shown on the CRTs. The ****8 was great, but with an 8ft screen some of the black detail was lost or simply not visible.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Also Roland had 4 pojectors to setup in a very short period of time, I'm sure they could have been better given the time.

8. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    All my sources are all routed via a Tag PSM192 module onto a 90" wide screen, although I'd already decided to get a Lumagen Vision Pro (I was waiting for the Tag scaler, but I think it's a little over priced, and also I don't wish to upgrade to an AV192).

Roland I asked the question here because I wanted a biased opinion :)

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Hi Jeff,

thanks for the comments. I suspected that perhaps more could be squeezed from the CRT's, but even so, the performance gap wasn't as large as I expected. Some rooms had a little light on occasion IIRC which wouldn't help either. Great pictures all the same. :)

I think the biggest dissapointment was the 3 chip DLP which IMHO gave the worst image off all the displays in the room. I expect that was due to limited time again.

CJ - sounds like a nice set-up you have there. :)

The reason I asked was because I was very surprised at some of the scalers in the scaler room - I use htpc and have never seen any of those artefacts that were prominent from some of the scalers - my point being that no matter how good the display, if the source isn't up to it you're not realising it's potential.

90ins may just be pushing the little HT1000 a tad beyond it's limit for keeping the image smooth - I think it may start to look a little digital going larger than I already have it, but some owners (mostly over on avs) do use larger screens with them. I think that for larger images such as yours, you'll be better off with HD2 or better if you decide to try digital.

My set-up is quite cheap and cheerful, and full of compromises, but I'm still surprised at how good the little NEC can look compared with the CRTs I saw on the day - which were also compromised due to time constraints.

A friend has a smaller CRT (7inch guns, can't remember the model), so I must take my pj round so we can compare. It's probably a better comparison as neither one is set up proffesionaly, and so it's probably fairer.

Gary.

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    That's quite simple to explain, the scalers are constantly trying to figure out if its film or video and apply the correct algorithm but getting it wrong from time to time, HTPC's don't make much of an effort and assume film most of the time, so if it is film and most DVDs are, it won't artefact. The PC also has 'insider' knowledge of the video source because its doing the decoding as well.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    I always force weave anyway, so that's why I've not seen those artefacts. :)

Looking forward to hearing about K2 btw...

Gary.

12. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Interestingly when we were at the shop yesterday we obviously cleared the big room and gave it a bloody good clean.

Once finished we put back in 6 chairs and had a really good look at the **** 8 and it looked substantially better than over the weekend, black leveles were MUCH better, and everyone commented on this.

Why??? well we had a pile of light cannons permanently on, and although we assumed the velvet lens covers were completely removing all of the output i guess there must have been some leakage, however this of course does not explain the other rooms.

I thought the **** 9 looked fantastic and had awesome black levels... In a way it was a bit unfair as at Event 1 the **** 9 looked absolutely stunning during demos, this time people have been spoilt with hi-def and are using this as there bench mark. Without a doub tthough the **** 9 and interpolator are still the best DVD image i have ever seen.

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    No time for fullposts but to add to what Elliot has said. The **** 8 is now doing much better black. The light coming out of the bigger units was obviously raising light levels. This was obvious on DD clip when it goes black. During demo's we could all still see each other in the room. This time we could not.

Obvioulsy any device that can get black very dark will have been affected in that room. I suspect it wasn't just the ****8 that was not shown at it's true potential.

Gordon

14. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was standing behind the ikea stand during at least one of the demos and it was like having 3 spotlights in your face, the light was probably being reflected of my sweaty face :D

To me the main things CRTs are still miles ahead on is motion, to me that's the big thing that stopped me going digital as I was planning to at the first event. It's really wierd that most PC LCD monitors work fine with rates like 48Hz/50Hz but hardly any pj's do.

John

15. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What a "**** 8"?

Is the profanity filter being overactive?

16. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's a c i n e 8, so unless this is some super obscene new word then i'd think it is being a touch over zealous.

John

17. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GagHalfrunt

At a guess i recon a barco c i n e 8.

**** John beat me to it:smashin: