Event Horizon 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

9 for the movie? I think the reviewer must be living in a flipped alternate reality where 1 is the top of the rating scale and 10 is the bottom.

It's rated higher than 2001 (4K review) for heavens sake!

I mean, I like the reality where Event Horizon is rated highly. It's a sometimes stylish, sometimes trashy, sometimes nonsense, sometimes terrific bigger budget b-movie that shouldn't work at all, but is, strangely, fantastic in all the right ways. Absolutely love it and can't wait to rewatch it, despite having picked up and watched the 4K DV iTunes version not that long ago.

And you can never compare scores to different reviews by different reviewers. Even scores from the same reviewers aren't mapped out in some kind of giant chart where the four thousand films we've reviewed are cross-checked to verify that they're definitely scored in correlation to one another.

Although, FWIW, I've comfortably watched Event Horizon at least a half a dozen times more than 2001 in my lifetime. It may not be a work of genius from a genius, but it's bloody entertaining.

9 for the movie? I think the reviewer must be living in a flipped alternate reality where 1 is the top of the rating scale and 10 is the bottom.

It's rated higher than 2001 (4K review) for heavens sake!
And that's a world I'm happy not to live in........

For the record, for me, 2001 is an easy 10 out of 10.

But as Cas said, surely you don't judge all films on the exact same set of criteria? Otherwise how would a great rom-com ever hope to score anywhere near as high as a serious drama? In that world, surely if 2001 was a 10, the very highest score a flippant comedy could ever hope to score in comparison would be a 5?

Criteria change depending on the genre/film type - scores for similar films to 2001 (high brow, hard science fiction) can't therefore be compared in absolute terms to films that aren't (low brow, set-in-the-future guff). I would compare Event Horizon to Alien for example and while Alien is an easy 11 out of 10, EH is close in terms of doing what a sci-fi horror should do - be set in the future (preferably space) and be horrific.........

But you know, its groovy that people don't like EH as much as I do.

I mean, I like the reality where Event Horizon is rated highly. It's a sometimes stylish, sometimes trashy, sometimes nonsense, sometimes terrific bigger budget b-movie that shouldn't work at all, but is, strangely, fantastic in all the right ways. Absolutely love it and can't wait to rewatch it, despite having picked up and watched the 4K DV iTunes version not that long ago.

And you can never compare scores to different reviews by different reviewers. Even scores from the same reviewers aren't mapped out in some kind of giant chart where the four thousand films we've reviewed are cross-checked to verify that they're definitely scored in correlation to one another.

Although, FWIW, I've comfortably watched Event Horizon at least a half a dozen times more than 2001 in my lifetime. It may not be a work of genius from a genius, but it's bloody entertaining.

Fair comment. That 8 for 2001 has just always irked me though. I need to let it go.......

And for the record I would give Event Horizon a 6, because as you say it is very watchable, if flawed and hugely derivative.

Fair comment. That 8 for 2001 has just always irked me though. I need to let it go.......

And for the record I would give Event Horizon a 6, because as you say it is very watchable, if flawed and hugely derivative.
He he, we all have those niggling little scores form reviews that somehow get under our skin and never leave..........I won't say what mine are for fear of showing just how pedantic I can be when I really put my mind to it.......o_O

think this is good watch, would like to see what the 4k brings to the mix...

I love 2001. Great movie. That said, I'd rather watch Event Horizon.

I love 2001. Great movie. That said, I'd rather watch Event Horizon.
Thats the thing isnt it? That silly Chuck Norris film may be a 7/10 at the very most but.... Its only 90 minutes and Id rather rewatch that than some 10/10 masterpieces!

I thought it was quite clever how it implies that a gravity drive takes you through another dimension and that Hell would just be another dimension
If you think about it, it's the same premise as Hellraiser.

Films don't tend to scare me. Grew up on Amityville and Freddie's nightmares, but for some reason Event Horizon terrifies me!

I have 2001 on UHD and its an impressive sight but it does have some serious pacing issues. I think any review within a couple of points is a fair spread subjectively speaking.
I enjoyed Event Horizon more on later viewings, on first watch I wasn't impressed as I didn't know what I was getting into with it. For me it could literally score 3-8 and I'd not disagree with the review!

I saw this 'by accident' one morning in New York when I was on holiday - I had a terrible hangover and just wanted to get somewhere dark where I could calm down and centre myself.

Yeah, that didn't work out at all well..........

2001 is unwatchably boring!

Points someone else assigns to a film don't move me much. It's nice to know if something you like is popular. Yay, I'm fitting in with the other cattle!
but at the end of the day it's our own choice whether we enjoy it or loathe it

I'm quite accustomed to other people not thinking like me, but sometimes it still drives me mad about factual things where they just can't see the light.
I'll never get accustomed to people throwing 4K around when we know it's only 3.84K.

I vowed never to use them again after they sent me not one but two damaged Game of Thrones steelbook sets.
I won't buy steelbooks from Deep Discount for that very reason.
They ship easily damaged steelbooks exactly the same way they ship anything, in a corrugated cardboard envelope. Yes, my limited edition Rock & Roll High School steelbook got bent & wouldn't close properly. Took weeks to get it sorted, because they waited for mine to be returned & then took 3 days to ship again.
My steelbook of Event Horizon will arrive this afternoon & it went through the hands of United Parcel Service, so it's probably damaged.
Bought it from Target, & I can't recall how they packed the other non-steelbooks they've shipped me.
If I had remembered they use UPS I would have bought elsewhere.

we all have those niggling little scores
I'm fine with others slating something, except for the fact that if everyone slates it then it may never get a remaster or even be available to purchase easily.
However, sometimes it works in the opposite manner & a box-office flop becomes a cult-classic, which drives up the price & even sometimes diminishes availability. I do believe this is by design from the studio to drive up demand (price).

It's when others pretend like those who enjoy something they hate aren't very clever or even dumb.

This seems to be sold out everywhere, UK anyway.
Anyone know if there's a normal [non steelbook] edition getting a release?
Or is that it?

TIA

Another fan here of this film.
It ticks all the bases for me and kinda falls into guilty pleasure territory doesn't it.
The music score is terrific - great selection of 'quality' actors - decent SFX and it is extremely creepy and disturbing :D

1660142308602.png

I had the laserdisc version of this film many years ago :rolleyes:
It was 2 sided so you had to flip the disc half way through (I'm sure many of you remember).
The end of the 1st disc was right at one of the creepiest moments which still gives me the chills when I anticipate it - Sam Neil crawling through the corridor and the lights go off o_O

1660142456340.png

This seems to be sold out everywhere, UK anyway.
Anyone know if there's a normal [non steelbook] edition getting a release?
Or is that it?

TIA
Amazon.es are selling a standard 4k
EC0B65C5-3D03-45BC-9E87-54537CDAF052.jpeg

It worked out at €31.53 (about £26.70) shipped when I ordered.

This is in the "wouldn't mind seeing again" category for me, rather than "I have to own this" so I bought the Itunes version last night (4K, Dolby Vision, looked and sounded excellent).

£6 well spent - I enjoyed it but won't bother with the disc.

Just some general knowledge that I did not know about when I first saw this film all those years ago: The Event Horizon is notionally the area around a black hole beyond which no light can escape. So it is kind of like the boundary of its gravitational pull. Go beyond it, and too near, and you are going to get sucked in!
I thought the third act of this film was very similar to an episode plot line of Red Dwarf.

I’ll pick this up when a fellow member puts it in the classifieds. The one and only time I’ve seen it was when I rented the VHS many moons ago.
I didn’t think much of it at the time but I know it has a real cult following these days (even got a name drop it the newest Thor !) so I’m really intrigued to re-evaluate it.
Great review as always @Casimir Harlow.

I’ll pick this up when a fellow member puts it in the classifieds. The one and only time I’ve seen it was when I rented the VHS many moons ago.
I didn’t think much of it at the time but I know it has a real cult following these days (even got a name drop it the newest Thor !) so I’m really intrigued to re-evaluate it.
Great review as always @Casimir Harlow.

Thanks mate, I’d love to take the credit. Sod it, I will take the credit since I got Mark the PR set.

These days I only tend to review discs that have the director’s seal of approval… like… Heat…

Thanks mate, I’d love to take the credit. Sod it, I will take the credit since I got Mark the PR set.

These days I only tend to review discs that have the director’s seal of approval… like… Heat…
😂😂😂😂😂😂
That’s what happens when you’re reading at 1 in the morning and not sleeping !
I’ll try that again.
Great review @Mark Costello.

I know this transfer doesn't include an Atmos soundtrack but for those who have Atmos capable systems, PLEASE do me a favour - when using Dolby Upmixer, what are the results like? Can you hear any height effects, does it add to the experience?

Watched tonight on iTunes 4k.

Very solid movie. Pretty sure I've only seen it twice before - cinema / dvd.

Not massively dated except from some CGI external shots but the low budget shows in places....but it looks incredibly good in others.

Genuinely unsettling and unpleasant at times. The cast is outstanding...only issue for me was Richard Jones's voiceover towards the end...a few lines seemed written by Adam Sandler for one of his 'comedies'.

Overall a very solid 7

It’s some of Richard T Jones’ lines that feel so out of place to me in this, it’s like some last minute humour injected into the film that doesn’t sit at all with any of the rest of it. The bit where his character blasts back towards the spaceship, just as the tension is building, is terrible!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom