Event Horizon 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Saw this at the cinema when it came out. Both my friend and I agreed at the time it was one of the worst films we'd ever seen, and we'd been to see "Hardware". Laughable dialogue, rip offs from other better films, no tension, just admittedly decent production design let down by every other department. 25 years later it's on Amazon prime so I thought, let's give it another try. Maybe I was wrong.
I wasn't.
Ok so let’s first say, shockingly, I haven’t seen EV! However I have seen Hardware and so I know which one I did see and which one I’d rather have seen.

ie, this is worse that Hardware??! Surely not?

Thanks Zavvi I forgot why I don't buy films online and you reminded me why. I forgot to preorder from HMV to pick up in store, so I took a gamble like an idiot and ordered from Zavvi. They've refunded me as there are no more copies left, so I'll trade this copy in and buy another copy off of Ebay undamaged.

Rippled plastic sleeve which is really aggravating me. Such a shame as it's a stunning steel box😔

cat.gif

Attachments

• 20220815_164744.jpg
    20220815_164744.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20220815_164832.jpg
    20220815_164832.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220815_164903.jpg
    20220815_164903.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 93
This is why I'd drive 30 miles to pick up a steelbook in person.
Mine was delivered in an 'envelope' that was just two pieces of thin cardboard pasted together around the item.
I was very lucky it arrived undamaged, as the mail carrier threw it onto our concrete porch.

I won't order anymore steelbooks from Deep Discount or Target.
One of my steelbook's transparent sleeve became cloudy about a week after I purchased it, Angel Heart.

All-In I'm glad I own E.V. in UHD now, but let down that the soundtrack is the same as it was as far back as the DVD collector's edition.

Visually the only difference I noted was that I can see the pores on Fishburne's face a lot better.

I know this transfer doesn't include an Atmos soundtrack but for those who have Atmos capable systems, PLEASE do me a favour - when using Dolby Upmixer, what are the results like? Can you hear any height effects, does it add to the experience?

I've noticed no one has replied to this. Can someone please test the Dolby Upmixing on this 4K release and tell me if the heights are used in a way that add to the experience?

It's Dolby-TrueHD 5.1, not Atmos.

It's Dolby-TrueHD 5.1, not Atmos.
Yes I know that. Didn't you read my initial message? I even said "I know this transfer doesn't include an Atmos soundtrack. I asked : for those who have Atmos capable systems, how is the Dolby Upmixing on this film??

Is the height activity any good?

That's all I want to know ie how good/bad/impressive the sound is when upmixed on an Atmos set up. That's all.

I think people aren't responding because they're not understanding how you expect to get height information from a 5.1 track.
If your system is capable of an upmix that provides heights, then I suspect it is up to the capability of your system as to how good (or poor) the upmix will be.

I only have one device that can upmix 5.1 to Atmos & it does help with ambient sounds, like crickets chirping.

I think people aren't responding because they're not understanding how you expect to get height information from a 5.1 track.
If your system is capable of an upmix that provides heights, then I suspect it is up to the capability of your system as to how good (or poor) the upmix will be.

I only have one device that can upmix 5.1 to Atmos & it does help with ambient sounds, like crickets chirping.
Well uh, that is how upmixing works. It works on non-native Atmos soundtracks. Hence the question - I mean I asked in plain English. I assume the members a) have Atmos systems and b) know what upmixing is.

Upmixing can be great, it can be good, or it can be lack luster. Maybe someone has a positive experience watching this movie on their Atmos systems using upmixing or maybe compared to their Atmos content, this movie is pretty lack lustre. Wouldn't hurt to ask right? Again, not sure why this is such a complicated question to answer.

Since it's unlikely we will ever get Event Horizon with an Atmos soundtrack, this is the only option people are left with, so it wouldn't hurt to find out if... you know, it adds something meaningful to the experience. How good or bad the upmix is? Yeah that was the whole point of me asking the question, thank you for pointing that out.

So if anyone has an Atmos system, please describe your experience watching this movie with upmixing engaged. Good, bad, or stellar???

I know this transfer doesn't include an Atmos soundtrack but for those who have Atmos capable systems, PLEASE do me a favour - when using Dolby Upmixer, what are the results like? Can you hear any height effects, does it add to the experience?
This is pretty far down my watchlist but I was curious so I gave the first thirty minutes a spin, I’d describe the upmix as good rather than stellar, I could definitely hear sounds from overhead but the overall mix seemed very front heavy so even my surrounds and rears weren’t exactly stretched.

It’s still a great disc though, both in terms of video and audio so I’m happy with my purchase.

For reference, I’m running a 7.2.6 system.

Now if the person asking has the same system, they'll get the same results, otherwise they won't be the same even given the same TrueHD soundtrack.

it's unlikely we will ever get Event Horizon with an Atmos soundtrack,
I'd prefer it in DTS:X.

So if anyone has an Atmos system, please describe your experience watching this movie with upmixing engaged. Good, bad, or stellar???

This is pretty far down my watchlist but I was curious so I gave the first thirty minutes a spin, I’d describe the upmix as good rather than stellar, I could definitely hear sounds from overhead but the overall mix seemed very front heavy so even my surrounds and rears weren’t exactly stretched.
Neural:X is usually more aggressive in its upmixing compared to Dolby Surround and it can be applied to TrueHD. Might be a better option...

Goddamn I love this movie! First film that i can honestly say properly spooked me and left me thinking about it for ages.
I watch it every few years (or maybe 10) because its great but I don't want to over watch it and for it to lose its impact...

Well uh, that is how upmixing works. It works on non-native Atmos soundtracks. Hence the question - I mean I asked in plain English. I assume the members a) have Atmos systems and b) know what upmixing is.

Upmixing can be great, it can be good, or it can be lack luster. Maybe someone has a positive experience watching this movie on their Atmos systems using upmixing or maybe compared to their Atmos content, this movie is pretty lack lustre. Wouldn't hurt to ask right? Again, not sure why this is such a complicated question to answer.

Since it's unlikely we will ever get Event Horizon with an Atmos soundtrack, this is the only option people are left with, so it wouldn't hurt to find out if... you know, it adds something meaningful to the experience. How good or bad the upmix is? Yeah that was the whole point of me asking the question, thank you for pointing that out.

I played the 4K uhd last night through a cinema 50 with 5.4.1…. I barely heard any overhead audio. I actually assumed it would have Atmos as it actually has “Dolby Atmos” printed on the actual disc!

Attachments

• EE0B3A1C-2EA4-4726-A73B-C8DB78D7EFA9.jpeg
    EE0B3A1C-2EA4-4726-A73B-C8DB78D7EFA9.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 37
I played the 4K uhd last night through a cinema 50 with 5.4.1…. I barely heard any overhead audio. I actually assumed it would have Atmos as it actually has “Dolby Atmos” printed on the actual disc!
Yeah the 5.1 TrueHD track is a bit underwhelming for these days. Really could have done with an Atmos upgrade for this one.

Dolby Vision Atmos. The latest picture format where the image surrounds you. Unfortunately it does require wearing what resembles an astronaut's helmet.

Yeah it’s odd. What’s that Dolby vision Atmos all about? Some sort of spurious misprint?

My disc:

PXL_20230102_131357199.jpg

That's Dolby AUDIO, not Atmos.

I normally pass on stuff that hasn't had an upgraded soundtrack, but this one has a special place in my dark hardened heart.
Right now the prices on the market are insane, people are gaggin' for it, apparently.

Hmm, my old Collector's Edition blu-ray had a DTS soundtrack.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom