Event Horizon (1997) 25th Anniversary Edition (Zavvi Exclusive) (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Purchase link: Zavvi

Release date: 08/08/2022

EH (packshot).jpg

Attachments

• EH (clear_slip_front).jpg
    EH (clear_slip_front).jpg
    253 KB · Views: 40
  • EH (inside).jpg
    EH (inside).jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 43
  • EH (back).jpg
    EH (back).jpg
    205 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I rented this on vhs. It was the only time I saw it. Can remember nothing about it, except for Sam Neil holding his own eyes.

I've cancelled my Zavvi pre-order of this and gonna go for the collector's edition from Amazon or HMV since it's not Zavvi exclusive.

I guess the extra bits are nice, but probably not worth ÂŁ10 to me, but I like to avoid retailer exclusives if possible.

The one I bought isn't a Zavvi exclusive, & it cost $10 less than what Zavii U.S. has priced it.
Apparently it looks just like the one in the OP, but I guess I'll know for sure when it gets delivered next week.
Unfortunately it's coming by UPS & now they actually charge an annual fee if you want to will-call pick up the package. I just know if I don't they'll either deliver to the wrong address or throw it onto the concrete steps here & damage it in the final step of the delivery process.

Yes, they constantly deliver to the wrong address by transposing the numerals, & the model for final delivery is to drop it & run back to their truck fast without knocking.

The anticipation is killing me, it's about 100 miles South of me, hopefully I get it tomorrow afternoon:

1659999189393.png

The one I bought isn't a Zavvi exclusive, & it cost $10 less than what Zavii U.S. has priced it.
Apparently it looks just like the one in the OP, but I guess I'll know for sure when it gets delivered next week.
Unfortunately it's coming by UPS & now they actually charge an annual fee if you want to will-call pick up the package. I just know if I don't they'll either deliver to the wrong address or throw it onto the concrete steps here & damage it in the final step of the delivery process.

Yes, they constantly deliver to the wrong address by transposing the numerals, & the model for final delivery is to drop it & run back to their truck fast without knocking.
Your description brought this scene to mind. I hope it arrives safely for you.

If I'd known Target delivers by UPS I would have bought someplace else.
The private couriers in this country are grossly negligent about handling packages & also incompetent about getting them to the correct address. It's frustrating beyond belief!

This location is about 4 miles from me, I wish I could will-call pickup:

1660047029471.png

I got mine from Zavvi yesterday. It arrived late as my old credit card expired and even though I had my new details already showing in my account, Zavvi could not automatically use those (like, say, Amazon do) so I had to re-enter them again so now I have two entries for the same card on my account!!! It also meant the steelbook was not sent until Monday, 8th.

Anyway, got to say that I like this steelbook but only because of the plastic slip that gives the package a nice finish. The actual steelbook is the usual muted matte finish that so many UK steelbooks disappointingly have these days which makes the colours look dull. These always look so much better in the thread screenshots than they do in the actual flesh! I guess it works okay for this movie but, honestly, I am getting a bit fed of the cheap finish on UK steelbooks compared with the UK ones. Sure, glossy steelbooks show fingerprints but they do look so much nicer and more premium in my opinion.

Do you have any photos of the matte finish?, because mine is glossy:

PXL_20220810_181929068.jpg

My heart figuratively skipped a beat when I saw how it was 'packed':
PXL_20220810_181303062.jpg
It's just two piece of cardboard sealed together around the item, & it's not even corrugated cardboard, which is what Deep Discount used when my Rock & Roll High School steelbook was damaged.

PXL_20220810_182101479.jpg

Here's a shot to show you what the 'packaging' looks like inside:
PXL_20220810_181504914.MP.jpg

The steelbook blu-ray & the blu-ray I already had are exactly the same content-wise, but the labels are different:

PXL_20220810_184816795.MP.jpg

No extras at all on the UHD disc, not even a commentary track, here's the extras on the blu-ray:

PXL_20220810_183101151.jpg

Making of = 1-3/4 hour
Point of No Return = 8 minutes
Secrets= 10
Unseen = 3

They're the same as the ones on my old DVD two-disc set:

PXL_20220810_183815086.jpg

I was let down when I opened it & saw the discs in mine have no artwork!

I think this was the breaking point of sorts for me & UHD steelbooks.
It's nice & all, but I'd rather have kept my $30 USD & sufficed with the old blu-ray with the same Audio track.
I'm annoyed more than a little that the discs in my mine are plain without artwork.

I went back to Target's page for the item & it doesn't even show the insides, so more the fool me for ordering & just assuming it was like all the other 25th Anniversary editions. These big-box stores have a way of ruining stuff like this. Walmart gets censored Music CDs, no profanity sold from Walmart.

To avoid buying every steel that comes along I will have new policies now.
no upgraded soundtrack = no sale
maybe, but only if it's 16:9 aspect-ratio, because I hate paying for 25% less screen with 2.4:1

I was really close to buying Dracula (1992) in UHD steelbook & upon more review the only bonus material I'm missing with the streaming version is Coppola's mostly technical discussion of a commentary track, so I will go on with that version.

Too bad I hadn't bought Terminator 2 & American Psycho in steelbook, but it's too late now. I have them already on 'regular' UHD discs, so I will just keep it that way.

I gave away my 2- disc DVD set of E.H. about an hour ago & yesterday I traded the blu-ray for credit towards some books.

I think this movie has aged quite well considering it is now 25 years old. It is still a very eerie movie that starts off like a rip-off of Alien before turning into something else more sinister. It's a shame there isn't a longer cut though as everytime I watch this I feel like there a lot of linking scenes missing, especially in the second half of the movie.

You might find what you're looking for in the Bonus Material.
I gave away the 2-disc DVD set yesterday & the lady who I gave it to seemed to be happy with it.

The guy I gave some Star Wars DVDs to on the other hand, seemed less than grateful, so no more soup for him.

I decided to look at Amazon to see if I made a mistake not pre-ordering from them, the price skyrocketed since it was released:

1660606085054.png

note that it's not the version with art on the discs, it's the same version I have

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom