1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evening Photography under floodlights

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by aaronroberts, Nov 24, 2004.

1. aaronroberts

aaronroberts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been asked to take some photos of my cousins football team they want a few "action" shots and some individual "portrait" photos and some Team photos, thing is, the only time there all together is at Night and playing under floodlights I have not take pictures in these conditions, dont know if the floodlight make it a problem? and was wondering if anyone can give me abit of advice ??
    I will be using a Canon 10D and prob take a 28-80mm and a 70-300mm

Many Thanks

Aaron.

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Despite the floodlights I'd guess you're still going to need a high ISO on this to have a short enough shutter time as not to have blurry players. Not sure this is really a problem with the 10D as photos I've seen from it at high ISO normally don't suffer too much from noise.

They say that at 300mm hand held you should have a shutter time of 1/500 or less - so I'd also suggest a tripod / monopod for when using that big lens to keep the camera as steady as possible (I'm sure this is pretty obvious).

Might be worth watching some of the footy this week and seeing what the professionals do at the side of the pitch.

Also worth thinking about using that multi-shot option (forgotten what it's called, think the 10D does 2.5 shots per second...?) as a lot of good football shots are about getting perfect timing on your shot this was you can just point and click and then review all the shots taken for the best ones.

Great link here http://photo.net/sports/overview

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As an afterthought remember also to shoot RAW - I really don't know how the floodlights will affect the white balance of your photos - by shooting raw you'll be able to post process the white balance, shooting straight to JPEG means you'll lose this ability.