1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even Sony dont know

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mammoth, Jul 9, 2003.

1. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its no wonder people get confused, Having rang the Sony helpline
    and enquired as to which Digital8 camcorders will play back 8mm and hi8 tapes I have been told on TWO occasions that they only have one model the 355.
    So either SONY employ half wits or digital8 isnt all its cracked up to be has anybody got any thoughts on this please?:confused:

2. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mammoth,

yes it seems true that the only model currently on the market is the 355 according to the paperwork from Sony. If I recall correctly the earlier models all could play back Hi8. Maybe try and pick up an older model if you need that function. I can't see the point of them making a D8 camcorder that doesn't playback Hi8 also. IN their blurb they say the Hi8 tapes that the D8 can use are inexpensive!! Have they seen the price difference now? Mini DV tapes are cheaper on the whole now.

I would suggest you figure out if you really need that function and get a camcorder on other merits.

Hope this helps

Mark T,
    www.digistuff.co.uk