Even more weird things going on...really weird.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by scitech, Jun 12, 2005.

1. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, as I mentioned in my last thread I'm filling up my HD to recover some missing space.

I've got Eastenders recording on BBC1 and whatever is on Sky Movies 1. I switched on the box and rewound Eastenders a couple of minutes to see if I could replicate the problem I've been having (see the thread before this one).

The problem didn't occur so I pressed channel up which switched the picture to Eastenders real-time, then I hit it again without really thinking. This took me to BBC2, and the message didn't come up about having two recordings on the go, that on it's own is weird enough.

I checked the planner and Eastenders was showing as cancelled, so I set it up to record again. From previous experience this would mean that the first half of EE would be deleted and replaced with a recording from the point I pressed record again. But no! I can rewind right to the begining of EE, the recording on Sky Movies is all there and I had BBC2 on screen for a few seconds. So my Sky+ was simultaneously receiving THREE channels! How the hell did that happen :confused: ?

Any theories at all would be appreciated because my head is spinning!

2. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What previous thread? Edit your post to include a link to it.

Doesn't the Sky remote also control the TV? Is that just volume? Maybe you just switched your TV to old analog? You said you weren't thinking!

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, actually it may be possible, because when you switch channels, the hard disk will have written its buffer contents to the disk, which could be several seconds of programme.

4. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BBC1 and BBC2 are part of the same BBC muliplexed stream are they not? By switching to another channel on the same stream you are not preventing it from recording the first because the LNB is not switched to a different frequency. Had you switched to ITV1 then I think you'd have got the cancellation message. Just a theory - I might try it at home tonight.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's an interesting theory ! Could Sky+ boxes be capable of more than two recordings at once ?

6. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, no analogue connected.

The only thing I don't understand there is that the recording was cancelled, it just didn't give me the on-screen warning. Maybe the software cancelled it because it thinks it can only receive two channels but the hardware is capable of receiving three in the right circumstances. Could be something that Sky might enable in the future like they did with the dual recording. By the way, how long ago did that happen? I only found out recently it wasn't a feature of Sky+ originally.

Oops! My mistake.http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219494

Cheers all.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Dual recording on Sky+ boxes was introduced in December 2003.