1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even more confused

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by simonnev, Aug 23, 2004.

1. simonnev

simonnev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I have finally got the mrs into thinking we need a new tv so lets get a plasma, :thumbsup:
    At the min it looks like she wants to get a unit around the 37inch but I feel go the whole 9 yards and get the 42..
    I have been reading through this forum over the weekend but at the min there is way to much info overload. :confused: The only thing that seems to stick is a panny p6, which is just in my price range. However we did take a look around the shops i.e. currys comet :clown: (but will want to purchase else ware). The units we saw are the following, pan th37pa20 and its 42” brother £1999-2500 this set seemed to have a excellent pic, but I believe they are now end of line? Also not to keen on the built in speakers, then we moved on to the Hyundai I think it was about £1600, my god what was that, the pic wash horrendous maybe was not set up correctly) just looked washed out but I must admit like the style due too speakers being removable . Then on to currys the first one I saw was a techwood £1800 and to be honest I am fairly impressed obviously with the price and the picture (when I took a look at the settings I noticed contrast was on 100%)also looked good even on sky, again its got removable speakers and a turner box, but I did notice the connection lead would need to extended, Then as I was leaving we noticed another Panasonic all I can say we were gob smacked :eek: but this was way out of my league at 3.6k then next to it was a Samsung showing the same dvd monsters inc, again I like the style of the unit (speakers again) but the pic seemed to have a bluish tint on it also a bit dark, not much contrast, tried to change the settings but this did not help, is this normal.
    I know there are many more manufactures but it’s a mind field as you probably discovered yourselves at first..

I will now be looking at richer sounds and sound&vision, just need a few pointers in which way I should be heading..

Sorry for going on but if anyone has any of the above units please could you let me know how you are getting on with them. I must admit though I really like the style of the techwood and the Samsung (I believe there is a new model around)… around 2k limit

Thanks Simon….

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Samsung PS42V4SX £1729 delivered
    http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=2126

This is the one I am thinking of getting, no-one on this forum who has purchased one is unhappy (so far) Its the same as the one you saw in Dixons/Comet/Currys (PS42D4SX) but is silver, has no PC input, and no DCDi. Samsung said there were no significant differences in the 2 models (in an email to me)

I have also been considering the Panasonic but am put off by the "Rip off" extras scam, who on earth can accept having to buy a stand and input connectors as extras without feeling they are being ripped off ??

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, without wishing to sound like a panasonic apologist;

I suppose two advantages of having the stand and video boards as 'extras' is that the set is both highly configurable and people don't pay for what they don't want. For example if you want to wall mount, what's the point of paying for a stand? (even if it comes as part of the package you're still paying for it, it's just that the cost is hidden). Likewise with the video boards, although most suppliers will include one with the screen.

It's horses for courses really, some people prefer the flexibility of the 'barebones' approach, others prefer the 'total package' of other manufacturers.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The £3.6k panny that blew you away was a PW6 with some dressing!!!! If you want to save a few more ££££ get the grey version, also have a search for NEC as there are some stonking deals availble for them!

5. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: is the PW6 really that much from currys.......thats is stupid, its amazing how much you can save via internet

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no no no no no, the PE30 which he probably saw is a PW6 in a fancy clothes!!!!

7. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh right got ya, is it the same insides then......thats cheeky!!!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Same plasma mate just has acuity chassis speakers and 2 tuners in it! oh and SD card and PCMCIA slot, more scarts etc but panel and electronics are PW6

9. simonnev

simonnev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info
    just taken another look at the samsung in curry's still like the look but pic seems low and was greenish this time, but looks like i am going for the panny,
    i am not to botherd about speakers on the side as i all ready always use my sony surround kit.
    i have done a search on the panny and found this model in silver TH-42PW6B for £1948 inc del.. Now as for brackets I would want a wall mount, but these seem a bit pricy is there a 3rd party universal type? also what about the connections to the unit?my sony dvd has svhs and componet outputs, i have my sky connected via the dvd/surround..
    Thanks again for any input Simon

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215