EVA8000 Going in the bin... alternative?

F

fireman sam

EVA8000 Netgear. Looked like the product I was waiting for but the lack of firmware updates, crashing and general bugs finally did me in.. anyone that owns one will know what I'm getting at... so...

What can I replace it with that offers me the HDMI out - not fussed about WiFi but want codec support and overall RELIABILITY

Suggestions please - will be buying in the next few days.

EVA8000 Netgear. Looked like the product I was waiting for but the lack of firmware updates, crashing and general bugs finally did me in.. anyone that owns one will know what I'm getting at... so...

What can I replace it with that offers me the HDMI out - not fussed about WiFi but want codec support and overall RELIABILITY

Suggestions please - will be buying in the next few days.

I'm surprised... mine works well with the odd exception of some WMV audio files not working and no official support of mkv yet (but it never said it did!)

Mine has never crashed, no bugs as far as i can see.... have you considered swapping it for another one?

I know Netgear are working hard to get this working better, firmware updates are pretty damn frequent i thought??

what firmware version are you running now on the EVA8000?

Ive been beta testing one since Jan,and it gets used most days for video and music and never had any real problems with it, even to start with, it was mostly niggles/quirks that have been fixed along the way, there is new beta firmware out now, and quarterly releases are scheduled so expect to see another bug fix release soon.

the problem is with these types of devices is that they are software dependant (and complex at that), also niche market still...so this means that if a manufacturer tests it for months, runs a beta with say 50 friendly customers then they may only catch 60-70% of the bugs...then they sell it to 5000 people and all the weird stuff gets reported in...what matters then is that it gets fixed on a regular basis and by the time the product is out for 6 months say it should be 90% + perfect

...being an early adopter is not always a good thing ;)

Please include the mkv support, that's all i ask!

Latest firmware seems very stable for me, only issue i have as said above is the odd audio on WMV files.

hi.Ive had mine for about a month & used it most days & it has not crashed once.Just mainly using for a jukebox foe thousands of trackes & for viewing photos on my plasma! Havent tried too many movies but what I have tried all work perfectly.

The eva8000 is a sack of crap, i paid £250 4 it and i am off to get my money back, i have tried about 5 different fimwares including the latest, i am using a hd65 projector which capable of displaying upto 1080p and did with the orignal 1.2 firmware hit and miss though mostly had to keep pulling the mains lead out to reboot it eventually it would lock on to it.
Upgrading the firmware to the latest beta 2.1 something made it not lock on at all to 1080p just kept flashing up and searching.

Youtube didnt work with the software on the cd had to try beta software to eventually get that to work.

Every time the thing is shut down you loose all the saved film and music info from the hard usb drive unless you have a networked pc to save the data which what is the point in having the hard drive with your stuff on when you still need a pc to store this data on, when you loose it you need to rescan your hdd again.

total headache then i tried to play some h264 stuff and it kept shutting down and rebooting, memory problem i believe as the device on has about 28mb surplice, this unit may work for some setups but for me with the hd65 using hdmi it was a nightmare.

Dave

Wow, sounds as though you have a dud there... you do need a fixed source to save the media library on - i use my NAS for this.

With the latest Beta Firmware mine runs great, lots of decent UI tweaks, 1080p mkv support isn't quite there yet, but 720p seems to work fine apart from a couple of little audio hiccups occasionally.

Love the new support for DD and DTS passthrough though, watched an mkv HD rip of Chuck last night and was amazed to see that it had DD in and the Netgear did as it should and passed the info through and the amp decoded it perfectly! TV with DD is a new feature to me!!!!

Yeah i had a dud alright, now i dont have a dud anymore just a fatter wallet and happier for it.

I am off to checkout some more stable stuff like the tvix 6500, not released over here yet but i can wait as i have has enough of media streamers for one week.

Very happy with my Popcornhour. Great for video - supports pretty much everything I've tried to play so far. Not good for music though - very primitive when it comes to MP3s etc.

I have been reading about those, are they available in this country yet and if so where from and how much.

Whats the difference between a hdmi splitter and switch, i notice the switches have remote controls does this mean every time you switch on to another device say you go from your dvd player to say a tvix you will need to use the remote to switch the cables over, not keen on this i have a million remotes now.

I want something that recognizes it automatically so there is no need to think of it.

I have been reading about those, are they available in this country yet and if so where from and how much.

I registered at the popcornhour site and bought mine direct from there. Was shipped from Hong Kong and took 3 days from door to door. I had to pay VAT and it ended up costing around £130 - with no internal hard drive.

Think they are still on a first-come, first-served basis - though other resellers and websites are now suggesting they have, or had, stock.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom