EV to save the planet? Maybe not ...

But, but Hydrogen has no place in the world
It needs to be batteries, big massive batteries that take up 90% of the carriage:D:rotfl::laugh:
P.S The hydrogen trains being deployed in Germany have the fuel cells on the roof I believe, the train above is just a prototype to prove the concept can be used, hence why they have used a 30 year old train and stored the fuel cell etc in the passenger compartment, before anyone says anything:cool:

Then you also need to include the mining of the raw materials for the batteries.
Wouldn't you then need to include the raw materials for absolutely everything in each car? So engine, gearbox, clutch, etc, etc...

Wouldn't you then need to include the raw materials for absolutely everything in each car? So engine, gearbox, clutch, etc, etc...
Similar post above where I have already mentioned that if you want to be pedantic

“For the customers, it will be difficult to accept such a car in the market - you pay a higher price, you get less of a car, so it will be a tough sell.”
What a load of nonsense.....

BMW M3 vs Tesla Model 3 Performance....... I went with the Model 3 Performance :)
For my usage, the Model 3 worked out the lower in price, I get more in terms of performance and goodies and it wasn't a touch sell at all.
However I do around 18-20k miles a year.

What a load of nonsense.....

BMW M3 vs Tesla Model 3 Performance....... I went with the Model 3 Performance :)
For my usage, the Model 3 worked out the lower in price, I get more in terms of performance and goodies and it wasn't a touch sell at all.
However I do around 18-20k miles a year.
Tesla has the upper hand (hell even the i3 can do 0-60 in around 6 seconds) on performance. Simply because 100% torque is available all the time as long as the tyres can take it.

Tesla has the upper hand (hell even the i3 can do 0-60 in around 6 seconds) on performance. Simply because 100% torque is available all the time as long as the tyres can take it.
I know, I guess bot have their appeals... I loved the grunt and noise the M3 makes... but when I factored in my mileage, the EV was the better option :)

It's a shame he believed VW's 180 miles as the spec page for the e-Golf says this at the bottom...
**The actual range achieved in realistic conditions differs from this result during normal driving operation and amounts to approx. 124 miles on average annually and is dependent on driving style, speed, use of comfort features or auxiliary equipment, ambient temperature, number of passengers/load, choice of driving profile (Normal, ECO, ECO+), and terrain.
A big problem is manufacturers are so used to being able to lie to us about MPG where it doesn't matter too much...they can't seem to change their tune when it comes to the range of an EV where it matters a huge amount.

And that demonstrates why Tesla have got it so right with excellent efficiency at M-way speed, accurate in car routing to Superchargers, and reliable multichargers Supercharger sites.

Add in the ability to rapid DC charge at CHADEMO, and CCS, and AC rapid rates of up to 18KW interms of a painless long-distance EV driving Tesla really have it sorted.

We are going on a 250 mile trip this Saturday, two legs, will be driving at 70mph. According to ABetterRoutePlanner even our relatively inefficient X will only need one 20 min charging stop for a 4hr trip, and in a Model 3 barely 5 minutes.

48590253761_2167637709_c.jpg

And that demonstrates why Tesla have got it so right with excellent efficiency at M-way speed, accurate in car routing to Superchargers, and reliable multichargers Supercharger sites.

Add in the ability to rapid DC charge at CHADEMO, and CCS, and AC rapid rates of up to 18KW interms of a painless long-distance EV driving Tesla really have it sorted.

We are going on a 250 mile trip this Saturday, two legs, will be driving at 70mph. According to ABetterRoutePlanner even our relatively inefficient X will only need one 20 min charging stop for a 4hr trip, and in a Model 3 barely 5 minutes.

48590253761_2167637709_c.jpg

I have to agree, I had deposits down for both the Polestar 2 and Volkswagen iD3 but looking at everything including the charging infrastructure, the Model 3 won it for me.
It can also make use of the super-dooper fast CCS chargers.... BP Chargemaster have just opened up their first 150kw CCS charger.
Tesla are upgrading to V3 superchargers, this will give 200-250kw abilities..... so maybe a full charge from 0-100% in 25 mins. I think they are saying 75 mile range every 5 mins of charging. :D

I have to agree, I had deposits down for both the Polestar 2 and Volkswagen iD3 but looking at everything including the charging infrastructure, the Model 3 won it for me.
It can also make use of the super-dooper fast CCS chargers.... BP Chargemaster have just opened up their first 150kw CCS charger.

The ability of Tesla cars to use CHADEMO, CCS, and obviously Tesla SCs really is pushing these cars even further ahead interms of real world usability.

Its like having a car that can run of petrol, diesel, or LPG. You literally have access to two/three times more charging options than any other EV.

The ability of Tesla cars to use CHADEMO, CCS, and obviously Tesla SCs really is pushing these cars even further ahead interms of real world usability.

Its like having a car that can run of petrol, diesel, or LPG. You literally have access to two/three times more charging options than any other EV.
I agree, big players Volkswagen AG are investing in charging infrastructure.
I think it's been said many times before, the big players including Tesla need to join forces to reach a wider audience.
I have 1000 free super-charger miles but doubt I will use them much, so for my daily commute of around 98 miles, the battery range is acceptable :)

That is the main issue for non tesla owners. Charging for long journeys are run by a few companies with many restricting time. I drove from Manchester to Cornwall in June and nearly every charging point at service stations limited charging between 45 minutes and 1 and a half hour. No good if you need 80% charge

Until they can charge in 10 minutes, they just aren’t worth the hassle for a long run. Around town and shorts hops, definitely, but on a long run with young kids in the car, not a chance.

Until you learn how to "live" with the charging on the move and realise it's not a huge issue. Yes, some journeys can take a little extra planning but it's no big ball ache if you've got a reliable charging network available, which I'm aware not everybody does at the moment.

Edit....just to add about the "kids in the car", it's an ideal reason to stop and charge. I used to drive to Wales on a regular basis without stopping. Now I HAVE to stop because I've got a kid in the car. It's the ideal time to top up on the way.

Agreed. Unlearn that fuelling is always a separate, attended, activity (ICE) (and therefore needs to be really fast, else it is intrusive) and learn instead that it is best done in parallel with some other activity that you could - or at least should - be doing anyway (and therefore only needs to be as fast as that other activity).

Agreed. Unlearn that fuelling is always a separate, attended, activity (ICE) (and therefore needs to be really fast, else it is intrusive) and learn instead that it is best done in parallel with some other activity that you could - or at least should - be doing anyway (and therefore only needs to be as fast as that other activity).
I know its only a option for some but the Tesla Model 3 can fast charge upto 250kW. That means you can charge in about 25-30 mins approx / 75 miles charger for every 5 mins of supply. :)
Tesla Superchargers V3 are coming and BP Chargemaster have just opened up their first 150kW rapid charger.

I know its only a option for some but the Tesla Model 3 can fast charge upto 250kW. That means you can charge in about 25-30 mins approx / 75 miles charger for every 5 mins of supply. :)
Tesla Superchargers V3 are coming and BP Chargemaster have just opened up their first 150kW rapid charger.
Great if you own a Tesla. If you own a leaf then still an hour to charge. Plus off all the motorway services I stopped at on the M6 and M5, none had Tesla chargers, all were time limited and and most had 7kw max. 7kw will not get your far

I’m always surprised by the amount of widely discredited pseudo-science that gets put about on AVF as though it was legitimate.

There’s really not a controversy that EVs produce less CO2 than their ICE equivalents over their lifetime from the broad body of evidence to date, and as scale efficiencies improve and electricity mixes change towards renewable, the trend is only one way too.

Because EVs aren’t perfect, doesn’t mean they aren’t better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom