Quantcast

EV in a traffic jam

nheather

Distinguished Member
After a really dreadful journey to work this morning in my dirty diesel - 30 mile journey in 2 hours, it got me wondering how an EV would hold up.

My journey was plagued by a series of road works and congestion. It wasn't that I was stopped for long periods of time but it was more a constant series of short pause, move forward a car length.

This got me wondering how an EV would hold up. Say you started with 150 miles capacity and then did 10 miles that consisted of hundreds of start/stop.

Assume letting a bigger more efficient gap develop each time is not practical because it would trigger road rage from other road users.

What toll would that take on the capacity - I'm assuming that you wouldn't come out with 140 miles range remaining.

Cheers,

Nigel

booyaka

correct - first thing I did on my M3 was switch from the mileage display to %. It removes the "range anxiety" that people suffer from.

Far to many factors to consider - weather, temp, heating, heated seats, radio, wind, uphill, downhill, speed etc etc -

Mine might say 223 miles at 100% but in reality this weather and time of year I get around 150/170 miles - around 70% efficiency - I'd expect that to rise to around 80/85% in the summer months.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Probably uses less power for 10 slow/stop/start miles than 10 60mph miles. When stopped - only for heating etc. No idling loss. When crawling - low usage for proplusion. When slowing, regenerate.

mikeysthoughts

Probably uses less power for 10 slow/stop/start miles than 10 60mph miles. When stopped - only for heating etc. No idling loss. When crawling - low usage for proplusion. When slowing, regenerate.
No, the greatest expenditure of energy is in overcoming the stationary friction, ie. Starting from stopped.

Always better to coast at low speeds allowing enough gap to do so. Notwithstanding the road rage from less enlightened road users of course.

Top Bottom