EV Classic Cars

I like the idea of this, but when I looked the price was eye watering, i.e. you could buy 2 or 3 new EVs for the price of the classic converted..

Also talk of the grant will probably mean they need to be under £35k which I can’t see happening

I follow these people on instagram - purely because it's entertaining.
The main reason people seem to be happy to do this is the central London exemptions for electric vehicles ;)

Personally I think i your car's a classic you should probably keep it original but in the end if it's your Bentley and you want to fit the guts of a Tesla it's your car!

I’m actually doing this. Actively in the hunt for the right shell. Once I’ve found it I’ll start a thread about my journey. A fun little big project.

Personally I think i your car's a classic you should probably keep it original
The conversion can probably be reversed (I wonder where the removed parts are kept), if only the conversion were discreet and the original V8/V12 masterpiece remain on display under the bonnet, with the battery hidden in a fake fuel tank and the motor totally encased within the clutch housing.

I’m actually doing this. Actively in the hunt for the right shell. Once I’ve found it I’ll start a thread about my journey. A fun little big project.
Surely your range rover would be perfect for conversion?

Surely your range rover would be perfect for conversion?
Not nice enough looking. I want a nice classic body shell two seater with all the modern suspension, steering and EV drivetrain.

My full fat RR is not classic enough. One day when the time comes I’ll just get a factory EV to replace it.

The conversion can probably be reversed (I wonder where the removed parts are kept), if only the conversion were discreet and the original V8/V12 masterpiece remain on display under the bonnet, with the battery hidden in a fake fuel tank and the motor totally encased within the clutch housing.
Fair enough. I don’t think there is a right opinion. Some people like classics to be nuts and bolt accurate. I like a bit of a fusion sympathetically customised to the classic body shells of old, yet with a healthy touch of the new and modern.

I’m not even fussed about mating it to the old sloppy inaccurate gearbox. As such designing out the transmission tunnels, gear sticks etc. Similar with old non assisted steering, pop in some nice assisted electric steering. Air suspension. Proper brakes. Proper lighting but in the old housing. Modern digital dials but in the old housing and so on…

I want a nice classic body shell two seater
Can you imagine trying to do that to an MG midget? You'd have to put the batteries in a trailer :laugh:

If you're going to do a million pound conversion then I get that you'd fit decent suspension, brakes etc. or why bother?
One thing that does puzzle me is surely in the event of an accident - that thing will fold up like a 1960s car but with the added danger of a heavy battery pack joining you in the front seats?
And without wishing to suggest anything about Aston, that firm or the likely owners - with all that power in a design that old there's a lot of opportunity to end up backwards in a hedge.
If you aren't going to drive it with all that performance then why bother fitting it - apart from vanity of course.

I have a pal who used to buy Porsche 924 and 944 and replace bits to make them even faster - at the time the "platform" was cheap to buy. The first thing he did was fit a race spec roll cage and harness ...and that's with 80's crash technology.

If you're going to do a million pound conversion then I get that you'd fit decent suspension, brakes etc. or why bother?
One thing that does puzzle me is surely in the event of an accident - that thing will fold up like a 1960s car but with the added danger of a heavy battery pack joining you in the front seats?
And without wishing to suggest anything about Aston, that firm or the likely owners - with all that power in a design that old there's a lot of opportunity to end up backwards in a hedge.
If you aren't going to drive it with all that performance then why bother fitting it - apart from vanity of course.

I have a pal who used to buy Porsche 924 and 944 and replace bits to make them even faster - at the time the "platform" was cheap to buy. The first thing he did was fit a race spec roll cage and harness ...and that's with 80's crash technology.
Good points well made. I’m now thinking to improve those crash bits as well, and perhaps tune it to four wheel drive with a variable unit so it could have rear wheel bias when desired. Hmmm good points definitely.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom