EV Charging for terraced housing (no off-street parking) petition

Newboldi

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new member here, so first post please be gentle! :)

I am lobbying the government to agree a workable domestic street-parking EV charging system matters in terms of meaningful climate action AND hitting the Government's own 2030 EV target. There are many UK households (like ours) that don't have off-street parking. As it stands, proper charging points generally can't / won't be installed by charge-point suppliers because the Dept for Transport (DfT) and local authorities (LA) inc. my local council (Leeds City Council (LCC)) won't allow access to the installation grants or explicit permissions to put one in. It seems you can legally charge a full EV from a domestic point, but it is much, much slower, taking hours/days - impractical and unworkable at scale, putting most people off. Opening up national grants and permissions would enable more trials of the various options and country-wide roll out at scale.

I have created a petition to get this discussed in parliament and have the support of my local MP, many councilors, etc. however, the current count (31/03) is 84 - rubbish! I need likeminded people to sign and share in order to hopefully make this happen. Thanks in anticipation...

Extend Electric Vehicle (EV) charging grants to those without off-street parking - Petitions (parliament.uk)

The issue I can see is that you don't own the road in front of your house so you can't pay for or own a charger there.

The issue I can see is that you don't own the road in front of your house so you can't pay for or own a charger there.
I don’t want to put a charger on the road, I want to put it on my property and run a cable to the car. You of course guarantee being able to park within reach for the cable but, a chat with the neighbours, etc. and they will try and avoid blocking ‘your space’ - at least that’s my lovely neighbours!

I don’t want to put a charger on the road, I want to put it on my property and run a cable to the car. You of course guarantee being able to park within reach for the cable but, a chat with the neighbours, etc. and they will try and avoid blocking ‘your space’ - at least that’s my lovely neighbours!
I understand were you are coming from but can you see the issue is that potentially you are giving £350 to people for something they can't legally use.

I understand were you are coming from but can you see the issue is that potentially you are giving £350 to people for something they can't legally use.
I’m not sure I follow. This all needs tying together as part of the solution. The approval of the grant would be tied to solutions that meet the approval of OZEV, local authority, etc. The link to grants is the petition admins suggesting this is the best way to get this discussed...

Aren't there safety issues with running a cable across the pavement to your car? Sounds dodgy to me.
I would say “dodgy” perfectly describes the current situation. People are crafting all sorts of contraptions...hence the need for multiple solutions to meet a specific need. I am not advocating running cables across paths without ensuring public safety.

Aren't there safety issues with running a cable across the pavement to your car? Sounds dodgy to me.
There are various ways around this such as covered gullies, but as Newboldi alludes to there doesn't seem to be any central strategy to address this.

Certainly something is going to have to be done in areas of terraced housing etc where there are few or no driveways. People are already draping 20 plus feet of cable across pavements round here. Some without even a cover/mini-ramp device just open cable snaking about loose. That is not a solution.

Certainly something is going to have to be done in areas of terraced housing etc where there are few or no driveways. People are already draping 20 plus feet of cable across pavements round here. Some without even a cover/mini-ramp device just open cable snaking about loose. That is not a solution.
Fully agree...

The solution is in publicly provided curbside charging. There are solutions to getting cables from house to kerb outside your house but how can you ensure that only you can park there ?

The solution is in publicly provided curbside charging. There are solutions to getting cables from house to kerb outside your house but how can you ensure that only you can park there ?
I don’t agree. Why should I not benefit from my own tariff or green energy supply when others do. I have a local ‘hub’, you can park there for a max of 1 hour or face a £10 fine, what use is that? There should be no guarantees about parking in front of your own home - agree that. But my neighbours have all agreed to park one car outside our own homes for the majority of the time - occasionally it doesn’t happen but, mostly it does.

I don’t agree. Why should I not benefit from my own tariff or green energy supply when others do. I have a local ‘hub’, you can park there for a max of 1 hour or face a £10 fine, what use is that? There should be no guarantees about parking in front of your own home - agree that. But my neighbours have all agreed to park one car outside our own homes for the majority of the time - occasionally it doesn’t happen but, mostly it does.
You have an agreement at the moment, what happens when you get a new neighbours ?

Not so sure. Two of the few kerbside charging points in this postcode are at the end of my street and they are almost never used despite people drapping cables across the pavement to charge their EV only a few feet away. Presumably because it is cheaper to do that
There is also the problem that some places (like my area) barely have enough ordinary parking anyway and if any significant number of bays become time limited charging bays the situation could become impossible.

Not so sure. Two of the few kerbside charging points in this postcode are at the end of my street and they are almost never used despite people drapping cables across the pavement to charge their EV only a few feet away. Presumably because it is cheaper to do that
There is also the problem that some places (like my area) barely have enough ordinary parking anyway and if any significant number of bays become time limited charging bays the situation could become impossible.

The thing about unallocated parking is the main issue which requires sufficient charging points which hasn't happened yet. Not just kerbside but out in public, work places, car parks, etc. It's a hybrid approach.

The thing about unallocated parking is the main issue which requires sufficient charging points which hasn't happened yet. Not just kerbside but out in public, work places, car parks, etc. It's a hybrid approach.
Agreed but I suspect people will still try to charge over the privet hedge even if there are adequate public charging points. That is going to have to be stopped at some point somehow.

....Presumably because it is cheaper to do that....
Very likely. EV charging pricing is highly varied across the country, with many points in the north (Northumberland and Scotland) free to use. Meanwhile, Sheffield city council have determined that "to promote EV use....." they will charge 30p/kWh at their rapid sites - around double domestic rates.

If an EV goes 3 miles/unit, 30p/unit is 10p/mile.
If an ICE goes 58 mpg then, at an average of just under £5.80/gallon, that, too is 10p/mile. Hardly an encouragement.

And in Rotherham, there are several AC municipal outlets (which, for many car types, will only run at 7kW) in public car parks priced at 30p connection + 27p/unit + parking fees - so, in reality again around 30p/unit total. You really would not have to give a jot about charging cost to use any of those.

That's not to suggest that realistic pricing shouldn't or won't come; but at the moment the intent of various government grants and schemes is to encourage switching - and these areas, I'd suggest, are failing in that.

And then there is the Ionity network - costing close to double what it costs to run an ICE.

I am sure the costs will come down over time, always does. As for Ionity they do provide up to 350Kw charging which I think is the highest available. In Europe they do slower charging at a lower rate but not in this country.

Perhaps in the end car owners will just not buy houses unless they have off-road parking. Unfortunately this will lead to even more front gardens being paved over.

Perhaps in the end car owners will just not buy houses unless they have off-road parking. Unfortunately this will lead to even more front gardens being paved over.
Parking is already a concern, current government policy is that if you are within a certain distance of a training station there is no requirement for developers to provide even one parking space.

However PWC study says 60% of houses have access to off-road parking, raising to 85% of actual car owners. However that includes multi-dwelling properties with shared parking (think flats)

Hi all,

I'm a new member here, so first post please be gentle! :)

I am lobbying the government to agree a workable domestic street-parking EV charging system matters in terms of meaningful climate action AND hitting the Government's own 2030 EV target. There are many UK households (like ours) that don't have off-street parking. As it stands, proper charging points generally can't / won't be installed by charge-point suppliers because the Dept for Transport (DfT) and local authorities (LA) inc. my local council (Leeds City Council (LCC)) won't allow access to the installation grants or explicit permissions to put one in. It seems you can legally charge a full EV from a domestic point, but it is much, much slower, taking hours/days - impractical and unworkable at scale, putting most people off. Opening up national grants and permissions would enable more trials of the various options and country-wide roll out at scale.

I have created a petition to get this discussed in parliament and have the support of my local MP, many councilors, etc. however, the current count (31/03) is 84 - rubbish! I need likeminded people to sign and share in order to hopefully make this happen. Thanks in anticipation...

Extend Electric Vehicle (EV) charging grants to those without off-street parking - Petitions (parliament.uk)
I know that there are solutions being trialed in some countries for exactly this. I have looking at Kerbocharge so I can use the Asda charger less. Not 100% for getting the space, but great for when I can!

This cannot be the way forward, I can clearly see the obstacle but for example my sight impaired grandmother could easily trip on something like this causing her serious injury.

PXL_20230307_080010298[1].jpg

I think thats one of the obstacles (sorry) for on street charging, can you imagine the litigation that will follow. Even an able body person could trip over that?

I think some local councils already have some rules in place?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom