Eurotech DVR-D4001

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Setenza, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Can anyone give me any info on this model. I've been offered one at £120. It's either crap or one of those cheap and cheerful bargains that can be quite good, although I fear it's the former!

Thanks

XOD

2. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look here

3. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks. Some of the comments seem quite positive. Might buy this as a 12 month temporary measure.

4. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But you've just given me an idea.. <temporary> being the operative word! I'm gonna go for a e55, lg dvd writer and 160gig hard drive. Same total price as a tosh, but even more flexible when it comes to editing plus the option to burn to dual layer discs. Thanks XoD

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    That's a very good temporary solution Ben that will stand you in good stead for quite a while! My I suggest you have a look at the 'PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR Mode) To DVD-R' thread at the top of this forum? There are Guides on how to make best use of an E55 in conjunction with a PC.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Can I ask why? All your doing then is paying £100+ for something that won't do the job properly which will result in a frustrating experience for you and probably prompt you to buy a new unit. There are some great DVD recorders available now for around the £200 mark that will last you years. Better value in the long run - especially if you add a PC DVD burner to the mix (once you've saved up the extra if necessary)!

If your waiting for something 'major' to come along such as integrated DVBs then, if your on this much of a budget, it isn't going to be affordable for several years.

7. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ras... you're a star!! :smashin: Will certainly have a look, as you suggested. Thanks

8. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just got one of these. Had the E65 but returned it because it was only any benefit if you used RAM disks then used your PC. The whole point of getting a DVD recorder for me is that I'm sick of the time it takes to do anything like this on the PC, I just want something that makes life a bit easier.

For me I want to archive some stuff off SKY+ and transfer DV onto DVD without all the hassle of PC capturing, converting burning blah, blah blah.

This beauty has S video - perfect for SKY+ connection so that I don't have to split the main signal to the Plasma and has IEEE 1394 / DV / i.Link Input which I used last night to effortlessly transfer some stuff from my camera to DVD.

First impressions of quality are very good.

Horses for courses but I'm well pleased.

Also briefly to say that initital tests on disk compatibility is good - a movie on DVD-r created on PC wouldn't play on the Panny E65I had, the machine wouldn't recognise the disk - played no problem on the 4001!

9. briesmith

briesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one of these for £75 + Vat from CPC. Connected it to my Pioneer iDTV via scart cable and started to work my way through the set-up procedure using the on-screen display. Got to the Interlaced or Progressive scan option, selected Progressive (why not?) and the picture disappeared never to return.

There is no flash memory over ride or reset switch that I can find. There is no battery support for the RAM so I can't clear it by leaving the unit unplugged; basically, I'm stuffed. Without a picture to guide me there's no way back.

It's possible that the disappearing picture has nothing to do with my use of the set-up software; the unit may simply have gone u/s. Reading other postings on the interweb there is some mention of the unreliability of this unit; one review even goes so far as to say "don't buy it".

If anyone can help I'd be grateful as sending stuff back - in spite of the Distance Selling legislation - is a right hassle even with co-operative suppliers like CPC.
    :lease:

10. JRJH

JRJH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought one of these from CPC as well and done exactly the same thing. It has taken me a couple of hours to find a fix, and in the end I just went to the setup menu and did the fix "blind".
    Start from the machine in standby, switch it on and press the setup button on the remote. By default this will place you at the first menu option titled GNRL in which the progressive scan button lives. Press the down arrow on the remote twice, this puts you at the progressive scan option. Press enter once, then press up OR down once and then press enter - and hey presto the picture should return and you are no longer navigating "blind".
    Why the progressive scan function does not work I do not know, and I am still exploring the rest of it. The picture quality does look OK though.