Eurosport HD

b1g1an

Is MotoGP actually recorded in HD as the feed that Eurosport and the BBC use isn't even in widescreen yet?

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
I've noticed this weirdness, when i watch on Eurosport it fills my screen, yet when I turn to BBC when the ads are on I get 4:3. I think it's all done by host broadcasters unlike F1, so any sort of HD feed is unlikely. As has been said, alot of the rounds aren't even in proper widescreen yet!

I do agree though, motoGP would be ace in HD.

Matlough

Moto GP is shot 4:3 by Dorna (Host broadcaster)

Eurosport only have the 4:3 feed the same as the BBC.

Dorna are doing trials of HD which maybe available next year or 2009.

(Btw, Eurosport transmit in 4:3 only, so your TV must be set on Auto)

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
i think I have it set to full, will check next time it's on, but without changing anything on my TV I get 4:3 on BBC2 and full screen on Eurosport.

Matlough

i think I have it set to full, will check next time it's on, but without changing anything on my TV I get 4:3 on BBC2 and full screen on Eurosport.

Your BBC2 picture is actually a 16:9! What happens is that the 4:3 picture is sent to the BBC in London and they convert it to a 'Pillar Box' image - a 4:3 image within a 16:9 frame. Eurosport just transmit 4:3 so your tv is converting it to full screen (Stretched!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tvbranding/picturesize.shtml

http://quicktime.rushes.co.uk/tech_16x9_guide.pdf

steve748

Standard Member
Thats strange I get MotoGp in proper widescreen on the BBC but its 4:3 when I watch it on Eurocrap, Sky sports 1 & 2 footie matches are in widescreen,
What really pisses me off are the adverts they put on during racing and qualifying, what are they thinking of? They are only ads for other eurocrap programmes as well!

DirtyNorris

MotoGP has been shot in 16:9 since the start of this season. BBC2 show it in 16:9, Eurosport crop the same feed down to 4:3.

Eurosport is scheduled to go 16:9 at the same time as their HD channel launches, although it's not been confirmed that we'll get Eurosprot HD in the UK at launch. Shame, MotoGP in HD should be well cool.

Matlough

Thats strange I get Moto GP in proper wide screen on the BBC but its 4:3 when I watch it on Eurocrap, Sky sports 1 & 2 footie matches are in widescreen,
What really pisses me off are the adverts they put on during racing and qualifying, what are they thinking of? They are only ads for other eurocrap programmes as well!

That was a year ago now.

This season all BBC MOTO GP programmes are in true 16:9 widescreen.

Eurosport are only transmitting 4:3

John27

Standard Member
never mind eurosport hd, I wish they would tone down their channel logo's, their bloody intensely bright, I enjoy motorbike racing but my panny has a lot of retention of their damn logo......:mad:......I can only imagine that if and when they go hd the logo will become even brighter......:nono:.......they could maybe take a leaf out of skysports logo, its not as intensely bright......I'v now taken to watching motogp on bbc 2 at least they don't have a logo........end of rant...:D

Kwon

eurosport have lost the rights to moto gp from the end of 2008 .bbc have them now :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow
can only be bad for the sport.,

Last edited:

Scapegoat

eurosport have lost the rights to moto gp from the end of 2008 .bbc have them now :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Why? I'd have thought that the audience potential on a terrestrial channel available to everyone would be far greater than on a dedicated sports channel only available to those willing to subscribe to a ppv platform.

HD on BBC is an option as well.

chrisbaker42

Great pictures from the Tour De France but why the Full HD logo lower down the screen, surely nothing is being broadcast or indeed is likely to be broadcast in full HD.

Bachstrad

Great pictures from the Tour De France but why the Full HD logo lower down the screen, surely nothing is being broadcast or indeed is likely to be broadcast in full HD.

Well it's 1920 x1080 1080i, broadcast tv doesn't get any 'fuller' than that AFAIK! ;)

ATB

Max

KeanosMagicHat

Just tuned in to the first programme I've been able to see in HD on Eurosport, Tour de France highlights.

The picture is good (way better than SD), but not quite spectacular IMO.

I still think it's a great new channel though and I'm looking forward to watching other sports in HD.

Oakwood

Saw some of the Tour yesterday. I was impressed, and the upscaled SD material is miles better than on the standard Eurosport channels. A welcome addition.

derek500

Interesting that it's not a simulcast of Eurosport on 410, but the pan-European version.

It's like the good old Eurosport of a few years ago, before they brought out the 'British' version with all the studio chat. Much better.

Redline

Does this include losing the rights to showing the 125 and 250 races? The BBC will never show these. I find 125 and 250 races are sometimes more exciting than the Moto GP. IMO the technical knowledge from the commentators is far Superior on Eurosport than the BBC. Randy Mamolas input is great to.

logiciel

Biking the only thing in HD so far, and the picture occasionally going into mosaic?
Nice scenery but why are all those idiots pounding away on their bikes so hard that they have to look down all the time and miss it all?:confused:
Also the channel identifier is far too prominent.
Not to mention, misleading.:D

Matlough

Does this include losing the rights to showing the 125 and 250 races? The BBC will never show these. I find 125 and 250 races are sometimes more exciting than the Moto GP. IMO the technical knowledge from the commentators is far Superior on Eurosport than the BBC. Randy Mamolas input is great to.

I believe that 125 and 250 races will be shown on Interactive (Red Button) and also 125/250 qualifying.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JBL launches compact 4309 Studio Monitor speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL launches TS8132 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces Express 4K streamer and new OS 10
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL reveals C82 Mini-LED and C72+ QLED TVs for Europe in 2021