European source for Taiyo Yuden media?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JPS, Sep 27, 2004.

1. JPS

JPS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to buy some Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs for my Toshiba RD-XS32. So I'm looking for a European on-line retailer for T.Y. media.

I remember reading somewhere that all unbranded T.Y. media is fake. SVP seem to have unbranded T.Y. and they say it is authentic. The SVP web-site looks very professional and trustworthy, but I'd still like some sort of verification for this.

I also remember reading that all Panasonic media in actually T.Y. Could someone verify this?

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    SVP are certainly very genuine in my opinion. Dont know much about Taiyo Yuden, but SVP are used by a great many people I speak to on different boards - and universally loved.

Shame - you just missed their 99p shipping weekend...

3. Stompa

Stompa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I need to buy some Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs for my Toshiba RD-XS32. So I'm looking for a European on-line retailer for T.Y. media.

Maxells are often TY. I'm told that you can identify Taiyo Yuden media from the distinctive shape of the tub, see here:

http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/details.pl?id=max-r4xsp

the diameter of the top half is slightly less than the bottom half, so there's a ridge in the middle. I've only purchased one tub so far, but they did indeed turn out to be Taiyo Yudens.

Stompa

4. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Although the site you linked to explicitly says they are RITEKG04...?

It wouldnt be the first time a website had its description wrong, but if you received some and they werent TY then you would have no comeback on them - they would say the picture was for illustrative purposes only and that the description clearly says Ritek.

If you go for these then best phone them first!

5. Stompa

Stompa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Although the site you linked to explicitly says they are RITEKG04...?

Oops, sorry about that, you're right.

I copied the link from a post I made a while back to another forum where somebody was after some TY's. At the time it didn't give a manufacturers code - they must have added this fairly recently.

I did notice at the weekend that the Argos catalogue has Maxells in the same distinctively shaped tub - which I guess could well be TY's. I wish they'd write the manufacturers details on the packaging itself!

Stompa