• I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, my policy doesn't cover me outside the UK

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AMc

Distinguished Member
We're off to France for a couple of weeks. I have a fully comprehensive UK motor policy.
I've driven to France and Spain before but never really considered if my car was comprehensively covered until today, though I always checked I was legally covered and carried a printout.

My current policy has "European Union Compulsory Cover" as a separate page.
Buried deep in the policy document I found there is a section on foreign usage which suggests I'm covered: https://customers.adrianflux.co.uk/policy-booklets/EQUITY_RED_STAR_Private_Car_2016_01.pdf
Section 8 — Foreign use
We will provide the minimum insurance needed by the relevant law to allow you to use your vehicle:in any country which is a member of the European Union; and in any other countries which have made arrangements to meet the insurance conditions of, and are approved by, the Commission of the European Union.
- while your vehicle is being transported (including loading and unloading), between ports in countries
- where you have cover, as long as your vehicle is being transported by rail or by a recognised sea route of not more than 65 hours.

We will provide the cover shown on your schedule when you visit any country which is a member of the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Norway, Serbia or Switzerland (including Liechtenstein). There is no limit on the number of trips you make in any period of insurance but each trip must be for no more than 60 days.
This cover only applies if your visit to these countries is temporary and your permanent home is in the United Kingdom.

Does anyone else check?
Is full European cover standard or something that varies from insurer to insurer?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27989

Being a mainlander :p that has always been one of they selection criteria to me :)

BobBob21

Legally any policy issued in the EEA (could be EU, always get the two confused) has to meet the legal minimum of all the other EU cover. Technically in the UK the minimum is RTA Only which is even lower cover than Third Party Only but is fairly close.

So, until Brexit at least, all UK issued policies mean you are legal to drive in the rest of the EEA/EU however it doesn't mean you've got equivalent cover than you have in the UK and indeed you may find some countries minimum legal cover is even lower than that of the UK. Generally you'll have no cover for your car but good cover for damage you cause to others.

It is possible to have your full cover in Europe, some insurers include it for free on an unlimited basis, some offer it for a few days and some don't offer it as standard. Almost all give you the option to buy full cover but again it varies on if the insurer allows you simply to buy day by day with a cap on the maximum consecutive days or something broader/less complex (I say almost as I don't know any that don't but if I say all someone will find an exception)

AMc

Distinguished Member
Interesting - they've just replied to my email (before I found the FAQ)

If you are going to be travelling abroad we must request that you confirm the dates you are leaving the country, all of the countries you are travelling to/through and the date of your return to the UK. This will allow us to issue the correct documentation.

Not mentioned in the policy or the booklet!

D

Deleted member 27989

Interesting - they've just replied to my email (before I found the FAQ)

Not mentioned in the policy or the booklet!
I used to get that request in the mid-nineties in the UK when I requested a 'green card'. But don't think I've had that since and just receive a blanket period covered for no more than xx days for each individual trip. Which is easily proven through the tickets for train or ferry.

BobBob21

I used to get that request in the mid-nineties in the UK when I requested a 'green card'. But don't think I've had that since and just receive a blanket period covered for no more than xx days for each individual trip. Which is easily proven through the tickets for train or ferry.
XX days would only be for Comp/TPFT cover, theres a statutory requirement for TPO cover with the only limit effectively being the accurate declaration of your home address/ where the car is kept overnight.

The green card was to prove you had insurance if you were stopped overseas. Now that there is the universal cover by law a UK cert of insurance is sufficient

D

Deleted member 27989

XX days would only be for Comp/TPFT cover, theres a statutory requirement for TPO cover with the only limit effectively being the accurate declaration of your home address/ where the car is kept overnight.

The green card was to prove you had insurance if you were stopped overseas. Now that there is the universal cover by law a UK cert of insurance is sufficient
Agreed, but wasn't the question about fully comp :p And I wouldn't get any other type of car insurance anyway. Considering the windows are included and keys (mostly) it is actually often cheaper than tpo.

BobBob21

Agreed, but wasn't the question about fully comp :p And I wouldn't get any other type of car insurance anyway. Considering the windows are included and keys (mostly) it is actually often cheaper than tpo.
The joys of negative selection (and to a lesser degree, lack of competition)

Even with Comp cover many only give you TPO for Europe unless you pay them extra but they cannot not give you TPO in Europe without you asking as its a statutory requirement

AMc

Distinguished Member
Well what I got is a PDF letter that confirms my comprehensive cover for the holiday and destinations.
As I said my original policy has a compulsory EU cover statement which I'm sure is all the police would be bothered about.
Still lesson learned to check for this when I renew and to inform the company of my dates in future.

BobBob21

Still lesson learned to check for this when I renew and to inform the company of my dates in future.
If its important to you then certainly.

Also worth looking at things with EU Breakdown cover inc "for free" (ie bank accounts etc). On a wholesale basis there is no difference in cost from UK only cover and EU cover as firstly so few go abroad with their cars and those that do tend to check their car over more etc before going so claims are low.

If you buy EU cover directly however its typically much more expensive than UK only cover

AMc

Distinguished Member
Yup - I need to upgrade my Green Flag or buy a short term policy this time.
We tend to drive abroad every other year though my GTi may be getting a little long in the tooth for it at 9 years as long as I've got full breakdown and it's been serviced (last week) then I'm feeling brave enough ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom