1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

European models having features cut - this has to stop

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by David Mackenzie, Apr 1, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    OK people, this is just silly. I love my Sony KLV26HG2 a lot despite it's 15:9 screen, but every time I turn it on I just feel totally ripped off that the American model features a DVI input with HDCP, which has been totally removed for the European model. Australasia also gets this same crippled TV.

Less severely, it has also had some more gimmicky features such as SRS WOW! bass expansion on the sound removed entirely, as well as trivial yet potentially useful ones such as Y/C Detect.

I'd really like to know why. At first I thought that the DVI input had been removed to make room for SCART ones, which admittedly, are at the moment slightly more useful to Joe Average in Europe. But when I downloaded the US version manual, I saw that there is a large empty space on the back of the TV where the DVI input would have been. It makes me utterly livid.

I decided I'd download manuals for the Sharp LCD TV, LC26GA4E (European model) and LC26GA4U (USA model). Well, here's what I found.

[​IMG]

Our version looks a bit bare by comparison doesn't it? America gets TWO sets of Component Inputs, as well as the elusive HDMI input. Does it really cost so much extra for these connectors to be included for Europe? Probably not, my guess is that Europe's being milked once again. Who's going to have to replace their equipment sooner? Us of course, the US version looks pretty future-proofed with the HDMI input that hasn't yet been used to its full potential.

Interestingly also, I noticed this:

[​IMG]

The US model will actually operate properly here in Europe. I'm up for trying to import the US version of this TV or similar, and use it here, after selling my lovely Sony KLV26HG2 of course. I realise the analog NTSC TV tuner won't work here, but that's irrelevant anyway since I can connect my Freeview decoder over one of the S-Video inputs.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    there is a market for this in the uk but the big companys just whant to reduce the amount of connectors which saves them money and we have to pay top price for items that in america japan e.t.c have all the connections available.its a disgrace but hopefully in time may change if not i may move to japan :)

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The EU heaps a rather large Tax on any device with a DVI input
    So that is the reason it is stripped from many of our screens.

Quite often US tvs are unable to play PAL signals, think twice before
    importing a US Tv set.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Aha, so that's why there's the lack of DVI. What about HDMI - is there a similar tax there?

As for US TVs not being able to play PAL - I'd be surprised if that was the case with LCD TVs. Obviously the analog TV tuner will only work on one system (and the US connector is a different shape anyway), but PAL over the video inputs should be fine.

Edit: that also doesn't explain why DVI has actually been left on or the Euro version in this example, but HDMI is missing...

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Maybe I'm wrong, I often am.

6. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Have you got a source for this - and how much do you think the tax is solely for a DVI input?

7. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Check out the link:

http://www.pcw.co.uk/news/1159337

It would appear that this applies to PC monitors and EU burocrats deciding that a DVI input makes it a television rather than a monitor and thus subject to different import duties.

As an LCD television is already a television the presence of a DVI or HDMI input shouldn't make any difference.

8. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LCD panels themselves will all happily work down at 50Hz but often the front end scaler chip doesn't have the necessary timing configs for 50Hz.

eg. I found the Dell 2001FP monitor will happily work at 50 or 60Hz. But the Dell 1703FPt craps out below 57Hz with a "Monitor cannot display this mode" message.

9. laks

laks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lyris, I don't think you are taking into account that the european version of the Sharp LC 26GA4 has two scart connectors (one of which is RGB enabled) and a DVI input which supports HDCP. I believe americans would love to have a scart connector to connect their VCRs satellite and cabel boxes. Component is useful only with high quality signals and don't carry sound or other information like aspect ratio. One other thing is that connecting six component cables plus their respective sound cables can be quite a challenge. There is not a lot of space (I know, because I have a LC 26GA4E)

You can look at it in this way: the european model have three good quality inputs(component, scart and dvi. While americans have only two(component and HDMI) So I don't think they (USA) are better off than us.

10. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Slightly off topic but how do you imbed an image, rather than a thumbnail?
    Cheers
    JImG

11. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I prefer discrete audio and video connections like the US have: Scarts are terrible! I've had numerous problems with dodgey scart contacts. The cables are so thick and inflexible - they easily pop themselves out of the sockets giving bad connections. And I hate that mode changing pin (eg. so TV automatically switches to AVin when you play your DVD). I had a set which wouldn't change back to TV unless you powered off the DVD! Had to cut the offending Scart line just to regain control. Nice feature!

Actually Wide Screen Signalling is carried on the video signal - so it works without scart.

12. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm not a fan of SCART either, I hate the cables always falling out and trying to connect them isn't much fun either.

Yeah, I've used it over S-Video (with the mini DIN connector).

Personally I'd rather have 2 high quality Component inputs, as well as 2 high quality digital inputs, instead of just one of each. I'm not sure many American people would want a SCART connector (if they knew what it was), granted RGB video is a bonus but it's only Interlaced RGB. I'd rather have a future-proofed TV than one that hung onto an old video connector to be honest.

Couldn't they have One RGB SCART, One Component input, and the HDMI and DVI ones?...

13. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Actually, America gets DVI too.

14. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: