European Elections - 23 May 19 - Who will you vote for?

Who will you vote in the upcoming European Elections? (if held in UK)

• Conservatives

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Labour

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SNP

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Far Rights (BNP / EDP)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 75 50.7%
  • Will abstain/spoil the paper out of protest

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Elsewhere you would call it "whataboutery."

You would say the thread was the European elections and not the UK elections so off topic.

I only hate the EU as it is undemocratic and won't change. That's why I thought leaving was the best thing and still do. Even us voting to leaving hasn't given it pause. You'd think they might question they might be doing something wrong.
And whataboutery. How does it make it right?
It must be hard typing with your fingers in your ears?

You ignored the bulk of my post and went with deflection instead.

We’re all free to make our own decisions and vote how we like, but let’s at least discuss in good faith.

IronGiant

Now that the NI votes are in we can add 2 seats for remain and 1 for leave. So that's 30 seats for Leave and 28 for Remain.

Pretty close :thumbsup:

springtide

An unequal division consistently in favour of leaving ;)

Kids Math: Division Basics

Please note it is remainder, not remainer, who takes the unequal part :D
And yet people are still struggling with how democracy works in the UK, the need for an agreement within the HoC, and the EU Elections having nothing to do with the HoC.

You’d think Ann Widdecombe might have known this as she was previously an MP?

Also waiting to see the Grand Plan from Farage, how he plans his alliances with other parties in the EU like other parties have already started. I suspect he is still in the pub

sebbykin

Distinguished Member
Now that the NI votes are in we can add 2 seats for remain and 1 for leave. So that's 30 seats for Leave and 28 for Remain.

Pretty close :thumbsup:
Re Run it !!!!

Cliff

Distinguished Member
As I said, we still have a divided country.
How can that be fixed? It can't......
May tried to steer a path in the middle and it wasn't supported by either side- she got the boot.
Her misguided attempts to please everyone have prolonged the process which unfortunately has meant both sides have dug their heels in and things are worse.

We have to face reality and accept the country is divided. It will stay that way whether we go for another referendum, leave, or remain.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
“Divided” doesn’t only mean 50:50. Doesn’t your kids math cover that?

I’m not really sure why you need to point me towards a kids math site anyway, apart from being patronising?
Abbreviate and first link that showed up. Nothing more than that. I thought remainder vs remainer was funny. You choose to interpret it as patronising. That is enterirely your choice, however not my intention.

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Abbreviate and first link that showed up. Nothing more than that. I thought remainder vs remainer was funny. You choose to interpret it as patronising. That is enterirely your choice, however not my intention.
It's not really my choice, it's how your post came across. Pointing another poster towards kids math in response to a statement that we have a divided country did seem patronising. Maybe you should think about how your posts come across more before posting? :smashin:

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
How can that be fixed? It can't......
May tried to steer a path in the middle and it wasn't supported by either side- she got the boot.
Her misguided attempts to please everyone have prolonged the process which unfortunately has meant both sides have dug their heels in and things are worse.

We have to face reality and accept the country is divided. It will stay that way whether we go for another referendum, leave, or remain.
I agree. It was just a statement of fact regarding the country and the electorate.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
It's not really my choice, it's how your post came across. Pointing another poster towards kids math in response to a statement that we have a divided country did seem patronising. Maybe you should think about how your posts come across more before posting? :smashin:
Of course it’s your choice. Lighten up and have some self confidence. I’ve already explained where it came from. Heck if anything if that was my first match on google doesn’t that say something about my browsing habits :rotfl:

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
Of course it’s your choice. Lighten up and have some self confidence. I’ve already explained where it came from. Heck if anything if that was my first match on google doesn’t that say something about my browsing habits :rotfl:
I'm not really sure it's about self confidence to be fair. This is a written medium so body language/humour is often lost and posts are taken at face value. Whilst I now get where your post came from, a simple apology is probably better than suggesting it's my problem how I read it or that I'm lacking in self confidence. :smashin:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
So it sounds like you think having TBP MEPs in the EU parliament is a waste of time :)
A lot of the EU parliament is a waste of time (and money).

750 MEP's lol.

73 from the UK. Why not just 10?

Rather like our own bloated, HOP with 650 MP's.

So much waste (and cost) when 99% of it could be done with a lot less.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
As you said, we still have a divided country with no progress since the referendum.
It would not be divided if we had left already ...

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
It would not be divided if we had left already ...
I think it's pretty likely that it would still be divided on opinion. As much as those who voted Leave wouldn't simply shrug their shoulders and move on if we remain, I'd guess that the same could be said for those on the other side too.

Squiffy

Distinguished Member
A lot of the EU parliament is a waste of time (and money).

750 MEP's lol.

73 from the UK. Why not just 10?

Rather like our own bloated, HOP with 650 MP's.

So much waste (and cost) when 99% of it could be done with a lot less.
It wouldn't be quite as bad if the MEPs had basic powers such as proposing legislation.

They are pretty much just a rubber stamping body.

Squiffy

Distinguished Member
Then why do we pay her so much? You can't really complain about the lack of democracy in the EU when supporting a non-elected Head of State in the UK.
As I've pointed out before, let's have a referendum on the monarchy. Chances are I will be on your side.

Still doesn't excuse the lack of democracy in the EU.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
As I've pointed out before, let's have a referendum on the monarchy. Chances are I will be on your side.

Still doesn't excuse the lack of democracy in the EU.
Well that's good to hear Squiffy. But the process for electing the President of the EU Council, for example, is infinetly better than our Head of State. Firstly he is selected by the representatives of the elected Governments of the 28 Member States. Secondly, his appointment must be approved by the directly elected EU Parliament.

The latter is key especially given we have just had the EU elections. We all knew the new appointments were coming and invariably took that into account when we cast our votes last Thursday!

So ultimately, I find it amazing that some would criticise the EU whilst supporting a bizarre, archaic and undemocratic system in the UK.

IronGiant

OFF TOPIC :offtopic:

I know it's your favourite soapbox topic, but as she has no real power, completely irrelevant. Unless you are comparing her lack of power in the UK to our lack of power in the EU :laugh:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Indeed. She has no real power and does Jack **** when it comes to politics.

Numerous times she could have jumped in and put her foot down (Bliars war).

Has she ever done anything in politics?

Don't answer that. Don't want to wind the mod up any more :D

Squiffy

Distinguished Member
So ultimately, I find it amazing that some would criticise the EU whilst supporting a bizarre, archaic and undemocratic system in the UK.
Zzzzzz.

Good old whataboutery.

To repeat again, let's have a referendum on UK constitutional reform and I'll probably be on your side.

But it still doesn't excuse the lack of democracy in the EU. No matter how desperate you are to deflect from that.