Europe to get the Video Marketplace very soon?

• Thread starter Deleted member 92943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 92943

If this is true and we get an announcement of the Video Marketplace being launched over here in the next few weeks then thats great:thumbsup: About bloody time too

Announcement expected in "weeks"

At a special event held in central London today entitled, The Tour of Truth, Director of Microsoft’s Game Technology Group Scott Henson has stated that there would be ‘synergy’ between the forthcoming release of the new Elite console and the online Video Marketplace service.

And while Microsoft once again declined to comment on the release of the HDMI-enabled Xbox 360 Elite in Europe, clearer details emerged about the company’s strategy going forward.

Full HD movies which are currently only available for download via the US Marketplace, weigh in at roughly 6-7GB, making the new 120GB hard drive of the Elite a potential must-have for movie buffs. So will we see both console and Marketplace extension arrive this side of the pond simultaneously? Michael Newey, Platform Marketing Manager, Xbox Europe stated a full announcement for Europe is "a matter of weeks away".

‘The Tour of Truth’ was a press briefing that intended to highlight the differences between the Xbox 360 and Sony’s PS3. Areas of note included the Xbox 360’s ability to automatically upscale to 1080p on high definition TVs that support it and a comparison between games on both formats, namely Virtua Tennis 3 and Call of Duty 3.

Couple these factors alongside the infrastructure of Xbox Live, a platform that is growing on a daily basis, and it is clear that Microsoft now believe that the next-gen war is on, and they are here to win!

http://www.oxm.co.uk/articles/news/hardware/elite_to_usher_in_video_marketplace_in_europe

ok

is this rent the films or keep the films

and is it high def

seem to remember just the batman begins video stream coming in at a nice 24gb

im going to say somthing... fanboys avert your eyes

360 elite with hdmi, my 4mb line, so days to download with the speed i get from live

buy a ps3 get your ass to mars... (sorry total recall poping in there) i meant blockbuster rent the movie, watch it and take it back all before my 360 has finished downloading and you might save some money

saying that i wouldent mind seing THX 1138 again

Movies are HD and rent only, TV shows are pay once and keep/download as many times as you like.

I'm really looking forward it. Taking a quick look around the US Video Marketplace there are a bunch of films I'd rent. Download over night/during the day is probably the best bet. 6-7GB is pretty big.

Movies are HD and rent only, TV shows are pay once and keep/download as many times as you like.

I'm really looking forward it. Taking a quick look around the US Video Marketplace there are a bunch of films I'd rent. Download over night/during the day is probably the best bet. 6-7GB is pretty big.

Surely you can record the movies whilst you are watching them. My 360 is wired through my AMP which has a hard drive so I can just record straight onto it can't i?

I have access to the US marketplace and there is good content on there. Just downloading the HD trailers for new Harry Potter and Oceans 13 gives you a taste.

Its about time!

Unless they start to let you keep the films you download then the extra space of the 120Gb HDD isnt really that useful because after 24 hours the film has to be removed from your HDD anyway.

Loving thr HD episodes of Remastered Star Trek though, well worth the points :thumbsup:

Unless they start to let you keep the films you download then the extra space of the 120Gb HDD isnt really that useful because after 24 hours the film has to be removed from your HDD anyway.

Loving thr HD episodes of Remastered Star Trek though, well worth the points :thumbsup:

That's true but if the full Video Marketplace experience comes over here (no doubt we'll probably only get content that is already shown or has been shown here) then TV episodes etc can be kept.

so its just like blockbuster then , only under your tv .

i only buy major release DVD's anyway , and for those i must own a hard copy .
im fine with the way marketplace works , can imagine it would have been hell for them sorting it out any other way .

I wouldnt mind a bigger HDD so I can download more HD eps of Trek, only have 3 or 4 at the moment and am already down to less than 3Gb :rolleyes:

If they did HD eps of BSG and Lost etc etc, I'd have a stuffed 120gb drive in no time :D

BSG in hidef, so say we all!

I think Microsoft should lower the price of the 120GB to match the 20GB, while replacing the 20GB with the 120GB, since I am going to be buying the 120GB for the Video Marketplace.

@ ukkev2000 Lost looks great in HD

What will they show thats not freely available on Sky or cable though? :confused:

What will they show thats not freely available on Sky or cable though? :confused:

What if you dont have sky or cable?

Could be quite a handy source of HD material.

RE the TV stuff... I just hope they populate it with some good UK material too... stuff like Life On Mars would be great.

I dont think I'd be interested if it was all American shows... I only really like CSI and South Park.

after 24 hours the film has to be removed from your HDD anyway.

That sounds lame, with big file sizes you need to download it overnight then what happens if plans change and you don't get around to watching it next day - it just vanishes?

Let's hope that if the Video Marketplace opens in Europe they can sort out the 50Hz compatibility foul-up in the 360 to allow European 50Hz SD and HD productions to play properly.

For info - the Xbox 360 does NOT output 50Hz HD when in Media Center Extender mode - it converts all SD and HD 50Hz video - very badly - to 60Hz for display, whether you use Component or VGA connections - EVEN though it checks for 50Hz compatibility when you first select 1080i as a component resolution. Such incomprehensibly poor support for a key aspect of the 360s functionality (Media Center Extender) is a really, really bad sign of Microsoft's understanding of the global marketplace.

Similarly their ignorance of the VGA RGB standard - they've added 7.5IRE NTSC set-up to it - so the black levels are wrong - is also really depressing. They really seem to be very backward when it comes to video, rather than gaming, issues.

That sounds lame, with big file sizes you need to download it overnight then what happens if plans change and you don't get around to watching it next day - it just vanishes?

The 24 hour limit only starts once you start watching the film, not once the download is complete.

ok

is this rent the films or keep the films

and is it high def

seem to remember just the batman begins video stream coming in at a nice 24gb

im going to say somthing... fanboys avert your eyes

360 elite with hdmi, my 4mb line, so days to download with the speed i get from live

buy a ps3 get your ass to mars... (sorry total recall poping in there) i meant blockbuster rent the movie, watch it and take it back all before my 360 has finished downloading and you might save some money

saying that i wouldent mind seing THX 1138 again
This is a bit off-topic but i think your gamer picture is just class mbjac. What picture pack did it come in :) ?

This is a bit off-topic but i think your gamer picture is just class mbjac. What picture pack did it come in :) ?

it is from the Eragon DVD Picture Pack. :smashin:

it converts all SD and HD 50Hz video - very badly - to 60Hz for display, whether you use Component or VGA connections - EVEN though it checks for 50Hz compatibility when you first select 1080i as a component resolution.

Explain again what happens at 720p when watching 50hz video via media extender over component? It gets up sampled to 60hz? Is it bad?

What's it like playing 50hz video from a file on a PC?

I expect many people will know this from Major Nelson's site but for those that dont....

MS have added a new thing where if you view someones Gamertag on xbox.com (i.e. by clicking the gamercard here on the AV Forums) and you hover over the gamer pic with your cursor it will tell you what it's from. Cool huh?

Many's the time I've thought, whats that pic? It looks interesting.

Course you can still just ask the guy too. :D

I would be more interested in the catalogue of tv shows to download, and you don't loose those after 24 hours?? . . if only you could transfer the files off 360 then would'nt need to upgrade to damn 120gb hdd.

what about the noisy fan issue, Hdd failures. Its all very well watching a HD film but the console noise may ruin the film and what happens to content on the HDD is that fails?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom